What Are Sub-Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kRakat0wa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could people please explain to me what sub-internships are exactly. How many do you do? Home many at your institution, how many at another? Do you only do ones in your chosen speciality? How do you chose? Institution or Faculty Chair? Sub-Internships at the institution you want to do residency, is that vital? FYI : I am heavily thinking of neurosurgery, in case that alters any of the answers.

Members don't see this ad.

SubIs are rotations you do in a specific specialty (almost always the one you are trying to match into) at a specific hospital (almost always one that you are planning on applying to) in order to "audition" for a spot or at least an interview invite. It's about seeing how you fit with the program and doing your best to impress faculty, directors, chairmen, and other residents.

Some institutions in some specialties will only interview you if you do a SubI with them. How you choose is something you should discuss with one of your deans or with the program director for your home institution and isn't something to think about before finishing third year.

If you are indeed a medical student like your status says, then this thread is misplaced - let me know if that's the case and I'll move it to the med school forums rather than the premed forums.

SubIs are rotations you do in a specific specialty (almost always the one you are trying to match into) at a specific hospital (almost always one that you are planning on applying to) in order to "audition" for a spot or at least an interview invite. It's about seeing how you fit with the program and doing your best to impress faculty, directors, chairmen, and other residents.

Some institutions in some specialties will only interview you if you do a SubI with them. How you choose is something you should discuss with one of your deans or with the program director for your home institution and isn't something to think about before finishing third year.

If you are indeed a medical student like your status says, then this thread is misplaced - let me know if that's the case and I'll move it to the med school forums rather than the premed forums.

Chears for the clarification. Cheers, but no. Im only pre-med, but can't figure out how to change my status. I must have selected the wrong one when registering.

Plus do you apply to multiple residencies. So you'd go for a sub-internship at as many as you applied for. Ive always been a bit confused about the matching process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chears for the clarification. Cheers, but no. Im only pre-med, but can't figure out how to change my status. I must have selected the wrong one when registering.

Plus do you apply to multiple residencies. So you'd go for a sub-internship at as many as you applied for. Ive always been a bit confused about the matching process.

You can change your status by going into your preferences and selecting pre-medical.

SubIs are not something to be worrying about as a pre-med because they will have literally 0 effect on where you go to med school and thus aren't yet worth your time.

Most applicants apply to one specialty but many programs within that specialty. SubIs are generally 1 month long, so depending on how your school is set up, you generally will have time to do anywhere from 1-4 SubIs total. More information about the residency match process can be found by searching the site.

@WedgeDawg and @gonnif Cheers. Im not worrying about sub-internships, just curious about how the process works.

It's going to be different in every field, at every school. For instance, most schools have some sort of graduation requirement for an acting intern role as a fourth year, but some specialties--like EM--may not have a rotation that qualifies as such.

This is really something that is best tackled after you know what you want to do in life.

So, what's the difference between a sub-internship and an acting internship?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile