What are the Next Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nfarstad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in undergrad and am majoring in biochemistry.

Thus far I have completed my A.S. in biotechnology at a community college before transferring all 60 some credits to the university I am at now. I have completed gen chem I and II with lab, gen bio I and II with lab, o chem I and am currently taking o chem II. I have taken molecular biology, physics I and will take physics II next semester, and will finish biochem requirements in the time it takes me to graduate by senior year.

I have completed the coursework to be a junior, have a decent GPA, a 3.7, and am just looking for insight as to what to do next to become a competitive medical school applicant.

I have volunteering hours, not a ton but a good amount, at a local hospital.
I am trying to get involved in research at the university but it is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.

Really, is there something else I should be doing? Any tips as to how to get into research at a university? Any general tips for someone nearing their time to take the MCAT? I know the MCAT changed recently, is there cause for concern, any classes I should take, when should I start studying, etc.? Is it worth getting involved in student groups?

Thank you so much,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well there is shadowing, volunteering the community with those less fortunate than you(homeless shelters, soup kitchen, youth sports, Habitat for Humanity) leadership etc.. How many clinical hours do you have? Have you read in the WAMC forum? It would be a good starting point to see what your competition has been doing for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
On a serious note mate, you may want to edit your message: You've signed it sincerely with your real name. Consider that one! I'll shoot you a PM answering all of your questions after the holiday. Go enjoy some turkey.

Last edited:
You should take psych and soc if you can, it will greatly help you on the MCAT. I'd also advise doing something to make your application stand out. So far, while your story is impressive, it sounds identical to most premeds. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
1. From my understanding, adcoms are looking for a commitment to service, medicine is service
2. Keep pursuing getting involved with research - it doesn't have to be in natural science
3. From my understanding, adcoms like to see some leadership experience
4. As @stickgirl390 said, taking introductory psych and soc classes can be helpful for MCAT as opposed to learning all of this material on your own.
5. Quality letters of recommendation

(From AAMC)
upload_2016-11-24_12-11-30.png

Focus on MCAT. Put a lot of effort into MCAT. Study for it and take practice exams before you sit for the test.

On the side, keep contacting professors for research and do some shadowing. Continue volunteering (clinical and community) and have a hobby. That's about it.