What are your thoughts on cheating on an exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rifle4802

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my physical chemistry exam last week and, well... let's just say a quite unexpected and interesting turn of events took place at the end of class. I'm right on the borderline of an A/B with an 89.3% before this test. Our classes are normally 75 minutes long, except this time the fire alarm went off about 15 minutes into the test.

You know how the fire drill works so I'll spare you all the trivial details (ended up being a false alarm anyway), but it took half an hour for us to get back to class. The a-hole prof tells us to go back to finishing the exam despite the fact that we lost out on nearly half the time we're normally allotted. With basically 30 minutes left to complete nearly 3/4 of the test, I'm rushing just to make sure I finish on time and had to make several utterly blind and random guesses. More importantly, this was an unusually difficult exam, far moreso than any other I've taken, and even if I had the normally allotted 75 minutes, there was virtually no way I was getting an A.

At the end of class, no one is finished... not ONE person! After several complaints the prof finally comes to his senses and sees that we were all jobbed. He decides to let us finish the exam the next time we have class (which is 2 days later) and so instructs us to turn our partially complete exams in. Though this wasn't planned out ahead of time in any way, I decide to stuff the exam in my notebook and then wait until the line gets to be very long. Both the prof and the TA are busy collecting exams and don't have a clear line of sight on me. Plus, several kids who were at the front of the line and had already turned in their test were walking out of class, so I blended in with them perfectly. So I walk out of class with an exam I'm sure I would have gotten no better than a C on. My uncle happens to be a PhD analytical chemist, so I give him a call and tell him that I was really struggling with some homework problems and needed some help. He proceeds to breeze through the entire exam (which he believed was merely homework) in half an hour and I now essentially have the answer key to the test.

The key to this whole thing is that our exams are open notes, and so the next day that we have class, the prof and TA are handing out everyone's exams to finish... everyone's except mine. I told them I turned it in along with everyone else (when, in fact, I really took it home to find all the answers and wrote them all in my notes). Our prof is on the older side and our TA barely speaks a lick of English... point being that they're very "science smart" but a little slower on the uptake when it comes to street game, reading people, etc. They both look genuinely puzzled as to how my exam somehow vanished into thin air and offer to give me a brand new one of the same version, concluding that they must have accidentally lost my exam somehow. The most hysterical part of this whole thing was how guilty they felt, profusely apologizing for what in their minds was an injustice done to me, since everyone else had only half the exam left to finish and I had to do it all over again.

I tried my best to look genuinely frustrated and disappointed that I had to re-do the entire test and grudgingly accepted that there was nothing else that could be done. I played those suckers like a fiddle and I was now in possession of a brand new copy of the test along with the answer key in my notes.

Just got back the grade - 99% after the curve with a class average of 44%. I had to intentionally get a few questions wrong to avoid arousing unwanted suspicion (nobody gets perfect scores on these tests).

I've never done anything like this before in my life... mostly out of fear of getting caught and what the repercussions would be on my future.

Anyway... anyone ever done anything similar? And what are your thoughts on occasionally having to "play dirty" to win the game?

Members don't see this ad.

If I found out that someone in my class did that I would say things that would probably get me banned on this website.

APR1L F00LS.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
Please just let this rifle thread die before the flame war begins.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah rifle, back to rustle our jimmies. Should've gotten vaccinated against the "dirty cheating liar" disease.
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
Please just let this rifle thread die before the flame war begins.
I...can't....resist....It's too hard, sorry. :(

If you win, you get an A. If you lose, you fail the exam and the course, face academic probation, and develop an academic record that follows you FOREVER. From a practical standpoint cheating isn't worth it. Morally, its also wrong. Instead of cheating, I would befriend all of my professors. You would be surprised how far you can get playing the game fairly.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah rifle, back to rustle our jimmies. Should've gotten vaccinated against the "dirty cheating liar" disease.

I...can't....resist....It's too hard, sorry. :(

I would honestly take a new streampaw thread or one from her troll accounts anyday over a rifle one. They're always the same old schtick and get old really quick - 0/10

Reactions: 2 users
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish you would get banned already. Your trolling has become too obvious and no fun.

Reactions: 4 users
If you win, you get an A. If you lose, you fail the exam and the course, face academic probation, and develop an academic record that follows you FOREVER. From a practical standpoint cheating isn't worth it. Morally, its also wrong. Instead of cheating, I would befriend all of my professors. You would be surprised how far you can get playing the game fairly.
This is true. A buddy of mine actually got caught during an exam for a different class and now has this strike against him on his permanent record. I normally never even consider needing to cheat because I've never needed to and the repercussions can be far too damning if caught...

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny April Fools prank. You have too much free time. :laugh:

I wish you would get banned already. Your trolling has become too obvious and no fun.
That's nice, but it's not trolling. Stuff like this is rampant in colleges everywhere. Like I said, I've never cheated before until this one exam... but it was alarming to me how many other kids have done so and gotten away with it. It's blows my mind really. It's like some of these professors don't even care...

Hmmm... among all those other students, might there be one who lurks here and who says , " this story sounds familiar". He brings the original post to the attention of the faculty member and your dreams of medical school evaporate like so much acetone on glassware.

Reactions: 14 users
This makes me miss the streampaw threads. At least she was funny

Reactions: 7 users
Hmmm... among all those other students, might there be one who lurks here and who says , " this story sounds familiar". He brings the original post to the attention of the faculty member and your dreams of medical school evaporate like so much acetone on glassware.
Uh huh. And how would the "story sound familiar" unless I was dumb enough to tell anyone in my class what I did? You're really reaching here.

That's nice, but it's not trolling. Stuff like this is rampant in colleges everywhere. Like I said, I've never cheated before until this one exam... but it was alarming to me how many other kids have done so and gotten away with it. It's blows my mind really. It's like some of these professors don't even care...

Sounds like community college material. At my undergrad university, you would've had exactly a 0% chance of getting a new test on the 2nd test day.

Uh huh. And how would the "story sound familiar" unless I was dumb enough to tell anyone in my class what I did? You're really reaching here.

Do you think people don't notice when things like this happen?

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
It's not a regular thing or anything. But I really needed this exam and didn't feel too good about the way it was going. I know tools who write stuff on their forearms every class only to find out they wasted all that time writing stuff that didn't even help them on the exam.

It's not a regular thing or anything. But I really needed this exam and didn't feel too good about the way it was going. I know tools who write stuff on their forearms every class only to find out they wasted all that time writing stuff that didn't even help them on the exam.
Read that as "firearms" and wondered what the hell kind of school you go to.

Sounds like community college material. At my undergrad university, you would've had exactly a 0% chance of getting a new test on the 2nd test day.
Top 20 undergrad and the class is no joke. There's a reason they are open notes - the notes don't really help all that much.

And what exactly would your professor have done differently? If the exam is gone, it's gone. I need a new one. Without a shred of evidence, the prof can't just accuse me of having taken it.

Uh huh. And how would the "story sound familiar" unless me was dumb enough to tell anyone in my class what me did? You're really reaching here.

How many p-chem exams were interrupted by a fire alarm last week? If I had been in that class, I think that your story would have sounded familiar to me. Don't underestimate the gunners who would rat you out to the professor.

Reactions: 17 users
Top 20 undergrad and the class is no joke. There's a reason they are open notes - the notes don't really help all that much.

And what exactly would your professor have done differently? If the exam is gone, it's gone. me need a new one. Without a shred of evidence, the prof can't just accuse me of having taken it.

The professor would have asked all the students to turn in the test before they leave and would have explicitly stated that he would not be giving out new tests the next class period (actually, some of them wouldn't even give this luxury). It doesn't take a rocket scientists to keep a stack of tests somewhere for a day or two without losing them.

I see someone is editing my posts to make it appear as if they were written by a 1st grader. Very funny.:laugh:

How many p-chem exams were interrupted by a fire alarm last week? If me had been in that class, me think that your story would have sounded familiar to me. Don't underestimate the gunners who would rat you out to the professor.
it's an april fools "joke"

The professor would have asked all the students to turn in the test before they leave and would have explicitly stated that he would not be giving out new tests the next class period (actually, some of them wouldn't even give this luxury). It doesn't take a rocket sceintists to keep a stack of tests somewhere for a day or two without losing them.
Wouldn't even give this luxury? Did you miss the part where I said that not one person finished the exam? If there 75 minutes worth of content on the test, nobody is finishing it in 35 minutes.

And the professor did ask all the students to turn in the exam. But with 100+ kids in the class, he's not going to read off every one of their names.

I read the whole thing on the edge of my seat thinking no way...ugh...nice one : )

I'd like to commend SDN on handling this obvious troll thread fairly well. Way to go guys!

Edit: Thought that could be escaped with a contraction. They're good.

Wouldn't even give this luxury? Did you miss the part where me said that not one person finished the exam? If there 75 minutes worth of content on the test, nobody is finishing it in 35 minutes.

And the professor [me]did[/me] ask all the students to turn in the exam. But with 100+ kids in the class, he's not going to read off every one of their names.
Sigh. When I said luxury I was referring to the professor TELLING the class that he would not be handing out new tests. You received a new test, unlike everyone else.

It's not his responsibility to make sure he has everyone's test... You're not in kindergarten anymore. It's the student's responsibility to get the test to the professor. Seriously a top 20 school? Definitely a j oke.

Man, I was sure this would end with fresh Prince of bel air.

Sigh. When me said luxury me was referring to the professor TELLING the class that he would not be handing out [me]new [/me]tests. You received a new test, unlike everyone else.

It's not his responsibility to make sure he has everyone's test... You're not in kindergarten anymore. It's the student's responsibility to get the test to the professor. Seriously a top 20 school? Definitely a j oke.
Sounds far-fetched to me. The professor would have to assume ahead of time that something like this would happen for him to tell the class he wouldn't be handing out new tests. That thought probably wouldn't even cross any professor's mind. Either way, whatever. My fault, his fault... it's done with. I'm so stoked right now. This was the only class threatening a perfect 4.0 this semester.

What happened to your first person pronouns?

That's nice, but it's not trolling. Stuff like this is rampant in colleges everywhere. Like me said, me've never cheated before until this one exam... but it was alarming to me how many other kids have done so and gotten away with it. It's blows my mind really. It's like some of these professors don't even care...

What happened to your first person pronouns?

Seems to be one of many of SDN's tricks today.

I can't write (I/).
Earlier (I/) couldn't write "do".

Hahah, now it's rearranging letters in words, notice the spelling of earlier.

this is why my chem classes had us put our student IDs on the desk and they went around and check we were who we said we were and to keep track of who was there.. If this had happened, they definitely would have checked that everyone's test was accounted for.

you got lucky OP; however, it sounds like you should make sure to learn the material in case you get tested on it again...

you got lucky OP; however, it sounds like you should make sure to learn the material in case you get tested on it again...

The only way OP got lucky was by people responding this thread. OP is a troll (and a terrible one at that) and the story is BS.

OP be a true gunner.
Not at all, believe it or not. Some kids in my class seem to have grades/medical school apps on their minds 24/7 and it's all they ever talk about it. These are the true gunners imo. It's basically their life.

this be why my chem classes had us put our student IDs on the desk and they went around and check we were who we said we were and to keep track of who was there.. If this had happened, they definitely would have checked that everyone's test was accounted for.

Sounds pretty hardcore. It depends on the professor mainly. Some of them (like mine) are very vulnerable to deception/conning and others (like yours) are too sharp to fall for these tricks.

rifle might be a troll, but the thread title and OP are actually pretty awesome after the SDN pirate translation.

I don't think that was right at all man. It would be one thing to cheat on like a homework assignment or something, but to COMPLETELY cheat on an exam? That ain't ethical and you know it. It saddens me that I'll be competing against people like you for a spot in Medical School. Maybe you'll get in and I won't, but at least I'll have a clear conscious in whatever I do.

me don't think that was right at all man. It would be one thin' to cheat on like a homework assignment or somethin', but to COMPLETELY cheat on an exam? That ain't ethical and you know it. It saddens me that me'll be competin' against people like you for a spot in Medical School. Maybe you'll get in and me won't, but at least me'll have a clear conscious in whatever me do.
I don't do this kind of stuff regularly or anything... it was really just a one time thing.

Plus the class is just outrageously hard. Class averages are always insanely low and this exam in particular was far more difficult than the others. Again, this was a make-or-break exam for me. I needed this exam for any hope of an A in the class.

me don't do this kind of stuff regularly or anythin'... it was really just a one time thin'.

Plus the class be just outrageously hard. Class averages be always insanely low and this exam in particular was far more difficult than the others. Again, this was a make-or-break exam for me. me needed this exam for any hope of an A in the class.
That doesn't make it right to cheat though. Stealing money is illegal. If I steal money from someone because I need to pay a mortgage payment on my house, that doesn't justify stealing at all. NEVER cheat again! Do you realize how lucky you are you didn't get caught? If you try this in some other class and the professor finds out, kiss your chance at Medical School goodbye. Lastly, just don't take classes that you need to cheat in so you can get an A.

Status
Not open for further replies.