This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBigTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So these () are all the classes I have taken so far and maintained 3.8 GPA. I am majoring in chemistry and was wondering what I should take to have a good chance at most dental schools. I have 3 semesters left: Spring 19, Fall 19, and Spring 20. How should I spread the classes to make time for DAT studies at the same time. Thanks again for all your support.

Members don't see this ad.

So some of the options that I am considering
1) Human A&P 2
2) Biochemistry 1 (not sure if i should do it with lab or not)
3) Statistics
4) Microbiology

Have you talked to your advisors first to see which classes you HAVE to take to graduate with a chemistry degree? I'd recommend Microbiology and Anatomy and Biochemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommend A&P 2 as well as both biochem and microbio. A lot of schools differ in what they require, but most I have seen want A&P 1 and 2. It’s a toss-up who requires biochem and microbio, but I’m taking both so that I will be covered.

Highly recommend A&P 2 as well as both biochem and microbio. A lot of schools differ in what they require, but most I have seen want A&P 1 and 2. It’s a toss-up who requires biochem and microbio, but I’m taking both so that I will be covered.
So I'm planning on taking Biochem 1 & 2, Anatomy 2, Physical chemistry (for major) by the time I graduate. Is there a difference between Microbiology with Lab (5 credits, 3 for lecture and 2 for lab) and Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology (3 credits). I don't know if I should take one of them or take both of them. Also not sure about choosing genetics and epidemiology over classes like public speaking and statistics (which are recommended by dental schools). Thanks again for the help.

So I'm planning on taking Biochem 1 & 2, Anatomy 2, Physical chemistry (for major) by the time I graduate. Is there a difference between Microbiology with Lab (5 credits, 3 for lecture and 2 for lab) and Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology (3 credits). I don't know if I should take one of them or take both of them. Also not sure about choosing genetics and epidemiology over classes like public speaking and statistics (which are recommended by dental schools). Thanks again for the help.
Some schools require microbio, but I’ve never heard of any requiring advanced cell. I would recommend microbio if given the choice. Take both, if possible. Other than that, I’ve heard genetics is not helpful in dental school. I’m not sure about the other courses, though.