What do you look for in research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question to you all, when applying to medical school with research under your belt, what is the most common thing for an applicant to have?

Naturally I assume it is at least a semester's worth of commitment, however, what is suppose to come out of that commitment? I believe publications are extremely rare for undergraduates... but is a poster presentation common or would it help one to "stand out"?

also does it matter what journal the pub is in?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think papers are vary rare for undergrads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did a bio 2 lab that had a required research aspect and produced a poster. Even landed me a t20 interview with it. Research was never my thing.

I just did a bio 2 lab that had a required research aspect and produced a poster. Even landed me a t20 interview with it. Research was never my thing.

Yeah... I may be getting a poster soon! I'll probably be presenting at a national conference... not sure if that helps me "stand out" though. But it doesn't hurt does it?!

Yeah... I may be getting a poster soon! I'll probably be presenting at a national conference... not sure if that helps me "stand out" though. But it doesn't hurt does it?!
Presenting a poster at a national conference will not hurt your app lol

Reactions: 1 users
Presenting a poster at a national conference will not hurt your app lol

No of course not. I just meant... does it make me "stand out"? I feel like presenting at a national conference is common but I'm not too sure.

I think a publication would make me stand out more but I'm not sure!

having a summer of research with one poster presentation in the min to check off research.

I looked for productive labs that I enjoyed what they were researching. Ultimately got 2 pubs (2nd author and 5th author) but only 1 pub (5th author) before my app cycle.

I don’t think pubs are necessarily super uncommon, but 1st author pubs I know are super uncommon.

I looked for productive labs that I enjoyed what they were researching. Ultimately got 2 pubs (2nd author and 5th author) but only 1 pub (5th author) before my app cycle.

I don’t think pubs are necessarily super uncommon, but 1st author pubs I know are super uncommon.

Wow congratulations on your pubs! My PI said that it IS possible and he'd give me first author if it works... I'm still in the process of conducting the experiment tho

Reactions: 1 user
having a summer of research with one poster presentation in the min to check off research.

yeah I've been doing research for the better part of a year really... I'll have quite a bit. Most likely going to get one poster out of it and not sure about a publication... Trying my best though...

If I don't get a pub, I'll most definitely get an Honors Thesis out of it. I know a publication is better but...

Just do your best with what you got, I’m pretty sure a lot of people end up in t20’s without pubs

Wow congratulations on your pubs! My PI said that it IS possible and he'd give me first author if it works... I'm still in the process of conducting the experiment tho

First author would be huge.

Also should note I interviewed at 3 low/mid tier schools and one “top” school and was only asked about research at the “top” school. Didn’t come up for even a second at any other interview. Which I was pretty surprised by.

Just do your best with what you got, I’m pretty sure a lot of people end up in t20’s without pubs

I mean I ain’t trying for top 20s...

Just want an MD/DO school... but I’d love a pub. Definitely getting an honors thesis tho

First author would be huge.

Also should note I interviewed at 3 low/mid tier schools and one “top” school and was only asked about research at the “top” school. Didn’t come up for even a second at any other interview. Which I was pretty surprised by.

Huhbthats weird. Maybe only the top schools love research... it’s funny Bc I love and enjoy research... but yet I won’t have the GPA and MCAT score for top twenties

I mean I ain’t trying for top 20s...

Just want an MD/DO school... but I’d love a pub. Definitely getting an honors thesis tho
You don’t need any research for a mid low tier school it’s just helpful

Reactions: 2 users