What do you make of my DAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I studied extremely hard and I can't say I was surprised with anything. Math has long been my weakest subject and I spent a lot of time on it but didn't the score I expected. So what do you guys think, should I retake(REALLY dont want to but I will if its a must), should I apply this cycle, or should I apply next cycle.
GPA: 3.88
SCORES:
Perceptual ability : 18
Quantitative reasoning: 16 :(
Reading Comprehension: 25
Biology: 21
General Chemistry: 20
Organic Chemistry: 23
TS: 21
AA: 21
I have about 50 hours volunteering and no shadowing. I am going to start shadowing a ton of hours starting soon until june. I am still accumilating volunteer hours and will have close to 100 hours by application time. Should I apply this cycle? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

So I studied extremely hard and I can't say I was surprised with anything. Math has long been my weakest subject and I spent a lot of time on it but didn't the score I expected. So what do you guys think, should I retake(REALLY dont want to but I will if its a must), should I apply this cycle, or should I apply next cycle.
GPA: 3.88
SCORES:
Perceptual ability : 18
Quantitative reasoning: 16 :(
Reading Comprehension: 25
Biology: 21
General Chemistry: 20
Organic Chemistry: 23
TS: 21
AA: 21
I have about 50 hours volunteering and no shadowing. I am going to start shadowing a ton of hours starting soon until june. I am still accumilating volunteer hours and will have close to 100 hours by application time. Should I apply this cycle? Thank you
No way should you retake. Your stats wont hold you back. Focus on building up your volunteer and shadowing hours and you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the low QR score, that won't hold you back from the majority of schools. I do think your DAT score is prety low compared to your GPA, but you should be alright, I would not retake it.

You're going to cram over 100 shadowing hours between now and July? I'm not really sure how you're going to write a convincing personal statement that will match the timeline of your application when you have no experience in the field. That may look off to admissions

Reactions: 1 user
with your GPA it won't matter. Plus math isn't looked at really much at all. You'll get in as long as you interview decent.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low QR score, that won't hold you back from the majority of schools. I do think your DAT score is prety low compared to your GPA, but you should be alright, I would not retake it.

You're going to cram over 100 shadowing hours between now and July? I'm not really sure how you're going to write a convincing personal statement that will match the timeline of your application when you have no experience in the field. That may look off to admissions
Is it bad to be a reapplicant? I know for medical school being reapplication is bad. I wanted to try my chances this cycle and if I didnt get in I wanted to try again next year?

Is it bad to be a reapplicant? I know for medical school being reapplication is bad. I wanted to try my chances this cycle and if I didnt get in I wanted to try again next year?
Nope being a reapplicant is not negatively looked upon from what I’ve seen. It shows perseverance. I would definitely apply this cycle with your stats. But really try to convey as much as you can in your personal statement on the “Why dentistry” prompt and start shadowing ASAP

Nope being a reapplicant is not negatively looked upon from what I’ve seen. It shows perseverance. I would definitely apply this cycle with your stats. But really try to convey as much as you can in your personal statement on the “Why dentistry” prompt and start shadowing ASAP
Will do thank you very much

To give you a personal experience, I had 0 hours of shadowing around February or last year and by submission time I had 100 hours and took the DAT after submitting my apps. By the time I found out I got into dental school I had about 200 hours so it's not impossible and I was asked once about my timeline being a bit rushed.

Start shadowing asap, to get at least 100 hours before you apply, but continue shadowing (and volunteering) after you submit so you can include those new hours in updates you send to schools later on in the cycle. I don't think a DAT retake is necessary as long as you apply right when the cycle opens, in the beginning of June. Also, make sure you have a smart school list! I think you'll hopefully get a few interviews :) Good luck!

I almost had an identical dat score as you (16 qr, 18 pat, 25 reading, 21 aa/ts) with a much lower gpa and had no problem getting interviews. No one even asked me about my low qr or pat score. Get some shadowing hours in and you will be golden