What do you think of my plan? Which schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently took my DAT in march and now I am doing my shadowing and volunteering. I needed advice on when to apply and also which schools to apply to.
My profile:
1.) GPA: 3.88
2.) DAT: AA= 21, Bio 21, General Chemistry 20, Organic Chemistry 23, Perceptual Ability 18, Quantitative Reasoning 16, Reading Comprehension 25, Survey of the Natural Sciences 21
3.) Volunteering: currently at 36 hours and still going
4.) Shadowing: currently at 30 hours (doing 10 hours a week)
5.) Live in Virginia
6.) I am an immigrant URM

I am thinking of applying in June when I expect to have ~70 hours volunteering and ~70 hours shadowing. But i am debating waiting until july to apply and get around ~100 hours for both shadowing and volunteering. Should I wait until July to apply or just apply in june?

Also, I am having a hard time compiling a school list so far I have:
1.) VCU
2.) Howard University
3.) Texas A&M
4.) University of Maryland
I needed help adding more schools and any help is also appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado
Michigan
UCSF
Indiana
Pitt
Connecticut

Reactions: 1 users
I am thinking of applying in June when I expect to have ~70 hours volunteering and ~70 hours shadowing. But i am debating waiting until july to apply and get around ~100 hours for both shadowing and volunteering. Should I wait until July to apply or just apply in june?
I'd say apply in June.
1.) VCU
2.) Howard University
3.) Texas A&M
4.) University of Maryland
Take Texas A&M off because the Texas schools very rarely accept OOS people, and those they do accept have crazy high stats like 25+. Instead, I'd add the schools @princeafrica listed, along with Meharry cause they tend to accept more URMs than other schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say apply in June.

Take Texas A&M off because the Texas schools very rarely accept OOS people, and those they do accept have crazy high stats like 25+. Instead, I'd add the schools @princeafrica listed, along with Meharry cause they tend to accept more URMs than other schools.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much

For UCSF make sure you write those short essays on the application well.

There is a disadvantaged essay on the application, make are you do that one well as you would do your personal statement (I am assuming you are disadvantaged. Talk about any struggles you and/or family may have had to overcome as an immigrant on your way to this point). Michigan and Colorado will pay close attention to it along with your personal statement.

I also think you have a great chance at Tufts. It is expensive but they do give out some scholarships so I think it would be a good school to add since most of the ones I mentioned also have small class sizes and the chances of getting into Tufts are higher with their bigger class size. I had it as a "Safety" school (Even though there is really no such thing lol) but I noticed they are big on diversity so with your stats and status I think you got a good chance. They might have a shadowing number requirement, I don't remember, check their website.

Indiana, Pitt, and Connecticut give out scholarships I think.

Honestly, given your stat and your status as a URM, you will be picking which schools you want to attend. They will court you like you're KD and giving you crazy scholarship money to get you to come to their school. So just apply to schools that you see yourself going to.

For UCSF make sure you write those short essays on the application well.

There is a disadvantaged essay on the application, make are you do that one well as you would do your personal statement (I am assuming you are disadvantaged. Talk about any struggles you and/or family may have had to overcome as an immigrant on your way to this point). Michigan and Colorado will pay close attention to it along with your personal statement.

I also think you have a great chance at Tufts. It is expensive but they do give out some scholarships so I think it would be a good school to add since most of the ones I mentioned also have small class sizes and the chances of getting into Tufts are higher with their bigger class size. I had it as a "Safety" school (Even though there is really no such thing lol) but I noticed they are big on diversity so with your stats and status I think you got a good chance. They might have a shadowing number requirement, I don't remember, check their website.

Indiana, Pitt, and Connecticut give out scholarships I think.
Thanks a lot really appreciate it. I wouldn't say I was disadvantaged, other than having a language barrier and being an immigrant my dad was a doctor so I was never financially in trouble. Thanks again

Honestly, given your stat and your status as a URM, you will be picking which schools you want to attend. They will court you like you're KD and giving you crazy scholarship money to get you to come to their school. So just apply to schools that you see yourself going to.
I really hope you are right hahaha.

Thanks a lot really appreciate it. I wouldn't say I was disadvantaged, other than having a language barrier and being an immigrant my dad was a doctor so I was never financially in trouble. Thanks again

Disadvantage doesn't automatically mean financial struggles. If you don't write about language barrier I'm gonna be mad bro. You need Mamba mentality for this cycle

Reactions: 1 users
I would also add 3 private schools because even though your stats are good, you always need to have private schools on the list just in case State school didn't choose you as they are picky.

Reactions: 1 user