What does this quote mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adaggiote

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago in my philosophy class, my teacher quoted a line from Futurama a quote:

"When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all."

This is a particularly ambiguous quote that no matter how hard I try, I can not decipher itsTRUE meaning. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

See: Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.

A couple of days ago in my philosophy class, my teacher quoted a line from Futurama a quote:

"When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all."

This is a particularly ambiguous quote that no matter how hard I try, I can not decipher itsTRUE meaning. Any ideas?

This seems to imply that the "right thing" may often fly under the radar. Other people may not notice what you have done because you aren't seeking attention or congratulations.

I don't think I always agree with this, but it depends on the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ha I remember that episode! Very funny. Bender made a terrible deity. What I took that quote to mean (from the galaxy God) was that doing small acts of kindness is more effective than doing great, drastic actions. If you try and accomplish huge, world changing things they are engulfed by the public spotlight. You may have many supporters, but more often than not you also have people who disagree (in some way) and from that grows conflict. So what is better to do is perform small acts that are unnoticeable by the mainstream public eye; thus no conflict can arise. I think this goes with numerous Mother Teresa quotes such as "Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." and "I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples." It's the little things that matter :)

Think hotel maid. You'll forget they were there if they did a good job; you'll definitely notice if they didn't.

Well, it's like posting threads in this message board. When you do it right, people won't notice. However, when you do it wrong (per example), people will take immediate notice and say "why is this here?".

I assume you did your due diligence, but for anyone else who isn't familiar with the Futurama episode (which was a great one, by the way), here's the immediate context of the quote:

God: Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you, and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch. Like a safecracker, or a pickpocket.
Bender: Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money!
God
: Yes, if you make it look like an electrical thing. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

conformity versus rebellion

might makes right = status quo

Well, it's like posting threads in this message board. When you do it right, people won't notice. However, when you do it wrong (per example), people will take immediate notice and say "why is this here?".

Real Funny Bro.

slapsthigh.png

That quote pretty much sums up the field of Anesthesiology.
You can be the biggest badass and do a monster case, and when all is said and done the only one that might think to thank you is the OR nurse, because she knows how differently the case could have gone. Of course, the surgeon knows this as well, but they are usually too self absorbed to think to say anything, except perhaps a general announcement of "thanks for a good day" to the room on his way out the door.

I assume you did your due diligence, but for anyone else who isn't familiar with the Futurama episode (which was a great one, by the way), here's the immediate context of the quote:

Good to include that.

Don't have much to say about the quote, but it was a great ep. Love that show.