What don't I know? IM physician, first job in a Skilled Nursing facility in Dallas area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buenomd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm hoping to get your perspective and feedback about working in a skilled nursing facility on 1099 basis. I'm new IM residency grad and this would be my first job post-residency.

1. What's the salary range for this kind of job in Dallas (read Plano, North Dallas suburbs)?
  2. Does working on 1099 mean one can leave the employer and there's no expectation for staying with the same employer for say one year? Or is this something one needs to ask the employer specifically? If the terms and conditions state that employer can terminate the job on "short" notice..does this imply that employee can also leave by giving "short" notice?
  3. Anything else you would like to add, please do.
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello folks,
I'm hoping to get your perspective and feedback about working in a skilled nursing facility on 1099 basis. I'm new IM residency grad and this would be my first job post-residency.

1. What's the salary range for this kind of job in Dallas (read Plano, North Dallas suburbs)?
  2. Does working on 1099 mean one can leave the employer and there's no expectation for staying with the same employer for say one year? Or is this something one needs to ask the employer specifically? If the terms and conditions state that employer can terminate the job on "short" notice..does this imply that employee can also leave by giving "short" notice?
Thank you for your help!
If you are an independent contractor, then you aren’t actually employed by the facility... typically it’s a 30 day notice.

If you are an independent contractor, then you aren’t actually employed by the facility... typically it’s a 30 day notice.
Thank you for your reply. So is it generally accurate to say if one is working on 1099, he/she is not bound by law to stay with the employer for certain period of time unless it's explicitly spelled out in the contract language.

So 30 day is more like an industry norm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello folks,

Thank you for your help!

Read your contract since that will govern termination of the agreement rather than generalized internet assumptions.

Read your contract since that will govern termination of the agreement rather than generalized internet assumptions.
Thank you for your reply. I don't have the official contract yet but have a preliminary offer letter. Is the notice requirement mentioned in the contracts for 1099 situations?

Not an internet assumption, given that I work as a 1099 as a locums...but yes, the contract will spell out the amount of time to give notification...on both sides...it will vary, but generally 30 days is the standard...though right to work states can be immediate without cause for an employer.

Not an internet assumption, given that I work as a 1099 as a locums...but yes, the contract will spell out the amount of time to give notification...on both sides...it will vary, but generally 30 days is the standard...though right to work states can be immediate without cause for an employer.

Well ianal but I have worked a variety of jobs and seen contracts all over the place. Contract law dictates that this will govern the agreement. If it isn't spelled out it needs to be. Never assume anything.

so there're two possibilities. The contract for 1099 worker doesn't spell out what's expected of the worker when he/she wants to quit. It DOES spell out what rights employer has if they want to terminate the worker which doesn't specify explicit explicit duration. The other possibility is that there's an explicit provision regarding notice requirement from the worker. Of course it would be best to have the explicit notice requirement so there's no room for ambiguity.

If your experience has been that 1099 contract work doesn't usually require more than 30 days notice..that's good to know. With that in mind, I can at least hope that this may the case and can ask further clarification.

What threw me off a little is the 60-90 day requirement that I see in the forum here and that may be for full time salaried type positions.

so there're two possibilities. The contract for 1099 worker doesn't spell out what's expected of the worker when he/she wants to quit. It DOES spell out what rights employer has if they want to terminate the worker which doesn't specify explicit explicit duration. The other possibility is that there's an explicit provision regarding notice requirement from the worker. Of course it would be best to have the explicit notice requirement so there's no room for ambiguity.

If your experience has been that 1099 contract work doesn't usually require more than 30 days notice..that's good to know. With that in mind, I can at least hope that this may the case and can ask further clarification.

What threw me off a little is the 60-90 day requirement that I see in the forum here and that may be for full time salaried type positions.

The entire point of having that clause is so the aggrevied party has recourse to claim damages if the other party abruptly quits/shuts down. If nothing is in the contract to that effect then there is no recourse if they send you an email the day before your first shift and say they don't need you any more. If it is in there then you could, if you chose to do so, successfully file a lawsuit claiming that they owed you compensation for xx days of work due to breach of contract.

Wait and see what they send you before worrying about stuff like this as it is usually fairly standardized. Once you have the contract pay a lawyer familiar with physician contracts go over it with you so you fully understand it. If something bad is in it have the lawyer recommend changes and send that back to them. As a 1099 I imagine you could even write off the legal review completely.