What extra work do I need to apply to just one DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaupePremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on the 2017 AMCAS, I am planning to apply to a bunch of MD schools, as is traditional.

There is one specific DO school that I really like, and I am curious how much extra work it would be to apply there.

I need a letter of reference from a DO, right? I don't have that yet, and it is already July.

How much extra work is the AACOMAS? How late am I if I haven't started? How much does it cost?

Members don't see this ad.

It's basically the same application. You don't need a letter from a DO (for most schools, I don't know what your school of choice is) and a letter from an MD will be just fine. You will have to send your transcripts to AACOMAS. The LoR step is easier than AMCAS and takes a few minutes. You should be fine, and it's not too late to apply at all! This is still early in the cycle I think, need someone to confirm :p

The DO cycle is quite a bit longer so you should be fine even for a couple more months. Some schools do require a DO letter but you will need to look at the requirements on their website to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
well,you will need to look at the requirements on their website to see.
11.gif

It will help you if you shadow a DO and get LOR from same.

Extra points if you see OMM in action.

I am currently working on the 2017 AMCAS, I am planning to apply to a bunch of MD schools, as is traditional.

There is one specific DO school that I really like, and I am curious how much extra work it would be to apply there.

I need a letter of reference from a DO, right? I don't have that yet, and it is already July.

How much extra work is the AACOMAS? How late am I if I haven't started? How much does it cost?

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, they have very different requirements than MD schools, and the deposit to hold an acceptance is very large and non-refundable, unlike MD schools.

The apple of my eye does not require an LoR from a DO, but it looks like they really, really want it. I don't want to look snotty and try to coast in on my stats (GPA of 3.9, MCAT of 519, lots of research), but I don't want to invest too much time on just one DO application.

I do have very compelling reasons for liking this specific DO school. It is actually the first med school I ever visited or toured, and I told them to expect my application (although I don't know whether they actually record that information).

It takes work, so you must decide if it is worth it. Many go the md route and when they don't get in rush to DO at the last minute. DO schools can get 10000 applications so they won't care or even notice if you don't apply.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk