What happened to the MDApps links?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CellPowerhouse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The past two days I've been noticing the lack of links to users' MDApps on here - even the ones I was able to click before are gone. I find reading some of the feedback/dates on there to be very helpful, so I'm just wondering if this is a site-wide thing, or if all the users who had a link to their MDApps just removed them?

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. What happened? I thought resigning in would fix it, but it did not.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mdapps link is still there, isn't it?

Edit: no, it's not.

Is mine still there? It was last night (can't tell from phone now)

whoa.. you got an interview to both harvard and yale?
I want a link to your mdapps

Yeah I don't see it either.. I also don't see the badges either anymore.. weird

in addition to that missing, the little badges are missing too, like 2+ year member and rocket scientist etc

You're going to have competition no matter what year you apply
Well no doubt.. The post was not entirely serious though.. More of a complement on the app.

I actually think competition is going to be even harsher by the time I apply.. It's been getting more, and more competitive every cycle looking at the stats. Also the averages just keep going up, up, up, up..

Well no doubt.. The post was not entirely serious though.. More of a complement on the app.

I actually think competition is going to be even harsher by the time I apply.. It's been getting more, and more competitive every cycle looking at the stats. Also the averages just keep going up, up, up, up..
Competition's gonna go down at some point once other ventures become more sensible as the economy recovers. Statistically we are reaching the tail end of uber competitiveness period as other sectors are getting closer to pre-2008 activity. Look at the legal market, similar story being told. Debt and school aren't as attractive as time goes on

Members don't see this ad :)
Competition's gonna go down at some point once other ventures become more sensible as the economy recovers. Statistically we are reaching the tail end of uber competitiveness period as other sectors are getting closer to pre-2008 activity. Look at the legal market, similar story being told. Debt and school aren't as attractive as time goes on
Do you think people are just applying to medicine because there are no other jobs for them?

Do you think people are just applying to medicine because there are no other jobs for them?
Definitely not.

The overwhelming majority of med students are definitely able to get other jobs.

Competition's gonna go down at some point once other ventures become more sensible as the economy recovers.
I'd hardly compare the state of the medical field to that of law.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not.

The overwhelming majority of med students are definitely able to get other jobs.

I'd hardly compare the state of the medical field to that of law.
Lol what kind of jobs? Most premeds are wholly unfit for the general job market. They have few applicable skills that employers would want.

Medicine fares much better than law, but the general trend that grad school apps follow trends in the business cycle always holds true for any field.

I hate to be the guy who tries to get this thread back on-topic but... Anyone have any idea what's going on? Can the mods see this? Hello?

Lol what kind of jobs? Most premeds are wholly unfit for the general job market. They have few applicable skills that employers would want.
Medicine fares much better than law, but the general trend that grad school apps follow trends in the business cycle always holds true for any field.
Almost half or matriculating med school students didn't major in a life science field.

To get into med school, one would assume these people had solid GPA/ECs/test scores. Depending on their field of study (engineering, finance/econ, CS, etc etc) they could most certainly acquire a job, just like the rest of their fellow grads. Most college kids do not have "applicable skills that employers would want."

We're both recent grads and we have pretty solid jobs, no? Are many of your friends from UG unemployed? B/c mine certainly aren't.

As someone who has spent an inordinately large amount of time in the finance/Wall St. scene, I don't think the business cycle will every reach the early 2000s boom peak; that's most likely a 1 time deal.

I hate to be the guy who tries to get this thread back on-topic but... Anyone have any idea what's going on? Can the mods see this? Hello?
Does this actually matter though

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be interested in any study or report if there is any that would show what pre-meds who don't get into medical school are most likely to enter into

Some of my top guesses would be
1) Pharmacy School: I know MANY who've done this route after not being able to follow through on their med school dream.
2) Nursing School: I know a number who've gone this route as well after realizing medical school wouldn't happen.
3) PhD Programs: I know many who've gone down this route as well.
4) Masters degree and go into research: Note we aren't just talking bench lab tech here. There are options such as radiology tech, clinical research assistant, even pathology assistant(which pays pretty well) that can be in play here.
5) Get an MPH and work a job in public health or consulting: Many go this route. Some are more successful than others as these jobs aren't necessarily easy to snag yet MPH's aren't difficult to obtain.
6) Get a job in business be it in sales, marketing, accounting, finance etc. I know many who've gone down this route. Perhaps get an MBA down the line as well. Again, some more successful than others but the key here is a) how early you commit to this route b) how much of a clue you have of what you are doing here. Those who know what's going on I've found have often been able to get some job soon enough and start their way to a solid career after dropping the med school dream. This is one where you went to undergrad matters a good bit.
7) PA School: This is only ranked this low because many pre-meds who drop out don't have the GPA for PA school either. But for those in that 3.3-3.5 range who realize MD isn't a reality and who aren't super enthusiastic about DO and wanting to dedicate a decade of their life to the field, this can be a viable option if you spend a couple years building up clinical exposure(ie work in a hospital). Likewise, those with GPAs for medical school but who simply can't hack the MCAT can potentially find this a viable option.
8) Dental School: Also low because you need the GPA/DAT for this. Those who simply can't hack what medical school entails aren't going to find anything easier going this route. But for those in that 3.4-3.6 GPA range who are starting to have questions about dedicating a decade of their life to training, who aren't doing well on the MCAT, and who like the idea of only 4 years of training and a wealthy lifestyle that comes after it, this can be a viable alternative and I've seen pre-meds switch to this route.
9) Switch to Engineering: Also pretty low because let's face it if your grades aren't good enough as a bio major you probably aren't going to enjoy life being a BioE or ChemE. But I know those who have gone down this path and have it work for them.

2015-2016 interviews:
(PM me if you're on the same day!!)
Harvard 9/15
Yale 10/5

dang those interviews.

You guys can put the links in your signature until this resolves!

A very helpful feature is currently unavailable. It's a sitewide issue, so yes, I think it matters.

MDapps is definitely helpful, but I don't know how helpful it is to see an individual SDN poster's link. Sometimes I click on people's links, look over their profile, and just get depressed. Some people have crazy good apps. Like, too good. Like maybe I'm about to call shenanigans on them.

Reactions: 2 users
MDapps is definitely helpful, but I don't know how helpful it is to see an individual SDN poster's link. Sometimes I click on people's links, look over their profile, and just get depressed. Some people have crazy good apps. Like, too good. Like maybe I'm about to call shenanigans on them.
I find that the people who tend to share their links are either the ones with really crazy good apps, like you said, or those who have good apps but don't necessarily have the best numbers - I tend to follow the MDApps of the latter group, as I'm also in the same boat, and really appreciate those who post interview impressions, etc. on their profiles. I guess my mistake was not bookmarking their MDApps pages. Oh well.

I find that the people who tend to share their links are either the ones with really crazy good apps, like you said, or those who have good apps but don't necessarily have the best numbers - I tend to follow the MDApps of the latter group, as I'm also in the same boat, and really appreciate those who post interview impressions, etc. on their profiles. I guess my mistake was not bookmarking their MDApps pages. Oh well.
Just Google it

I personally think separating MDapps and SDN might even tone down the neuroticism on these forums a bit. Wouldn't be against this being permanent.

I personally think separating MDapps and SDN might even tone down the neuroticism on these forums a bit. Wouldn't be against this being permanent.
No. The neuroticism will still be there.

You always knew that the rockstars would be rockstars. But at least once in a while you could see an MDApps applicant with normal stats get interviews and that would give you hope.

It's like going to the college confidential forum and seeing all those high shooting stats got thrown out and being depressed.
People who frequent only school development forums generally are the high achieving kind, and most of them will be competitive.
You guys should observe some of the pre-meds on college campuses.. Many don't even have an EC list.
(yay 300 posts)

It's like going to the college confidential forum and seeing all those high shooting stats got thrown out and being depressed.
People who frequent only school development forums generally are the high achieving kind, and most of them will be competitive.
You guys should observe some of the pre-meds on college campuses.. Many don't even have an EC list.
(yay 300 posts)
aren't you like two weeks into freshman year/your first year at college right now

aren't you like two weeks into freshman year/your first year at college right now
No this is not technically my first year
Well it is as a college student.. I've been on college campus during my last year of HS for classes. I was a college hs student something like that..

Nah. The neuroticism exhibited here makes things funnier.

Ikr idk whether to be excited or scared that I might've peaked already in the cycle :unsure:
You have an early season interview at ****ing Harvard obviously you've hit the peak for this stage already. How the hell could you peak any higher?

You have an early season interview at ****ing Harvard obviously you've hit the peak for this stage already. How the hell could you peak any higher?
Full ride scholarship to Harvard lol.. No debt in residency... set for life lol

Iirc Harvard doesn't do full rides for merit only need
How is need calculated? Is it like college?
I figure most of us are broke.. lol I know I don't have a lot of extra spending money.

I don't really see any evidence of that in applicant trends. Do you?

I don't really see any evidence of that in applicant trends. Do you?
No, but it is illegal to cite relevant statistics on SDN anyway so who cares

Stanford > harvard

Stanford > harvard
Why do you think of it that way? (genuinely curious)
The only thing I know about med school quality is random postings from med students, and rankings/prestige factor.

lol uninformed freshman is uninformed
Well I've read about people get 30-40k scholarships to Harvard. (mdapps)
Figured it was merit? Guess I was wrong maybe..

MD will continue to become insanely competitive as long as it remains the guaranteed path for a smart hardworking individuals to do well. That's an advantage law, finance and business just won't have a way to compete with