What is a good GRE score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What GRE scores got you into physical therapy school?

• Above 150 verbal and quantitative

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • Below 149 quantitative and 148 verbal

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Above 150 quantitative and below 149 verbal

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters

Women's Health PT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I prepare to apply to physical therapy school I've noticed a lot of schools don't have minimum requirements for GRE. Is there specifically a score that is considered competitive?
I took the GRE about 9 months ago unprepared and I scored 149 quantitative, 148 verbal, and 4.5 analytical. I am thinking these scores are too low to apply to school, but I'm not sure what scores are deemed respectable as I prepare to retake the test.

Furthermore, I have a 3.71 GPA, over 200 hours of observation in a multitude of settings, different extracurricular activities that don't involve physical therapy, experience in undergraduate research, and good letters of recommendation (one from a physical therapist that earned her degree at the school I want to get into).
Am I competitive? Do I have a chance if I retake the GRE and am not able to score any higher?

ALSO if you were able to get into a school with a lower GRE score such as mine would you be willing to share what your GRE score was and which school you were accepted into? I'm at a cross roads of what I should do!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats, anything above a 300 overall with sub scores of 150 and 4 aw should be fine.

I know some friends who got accepted to PT schools with your scores (they had high GPAs), but I wouldn't necessarily say your scores are competitive. I'd say breaking the 300 mark is always a good call (at least 150s on q and v). But with your GPA, you'd be VERY competitive if you break the mid 150s and get a 310+ and a 4.5 writing score.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As I prepare to apply to physical therapy school I've noticed a lot of schools don't have minimum requirements for GRE. Is there specifically a score that is considered competitive?
I took the GRE about 9 months ago unprepared and I scored 149 quantitative, 148 verbal, and 4.5 analytical. I am thinking these scores are too low to apply to school, but I'm not sure what scores are deemed respectable as I prepare to retake the test.

Furthermore, I have a 3.71 GPA, over 200 hours of observation in a multitude of settings, different extracurricular activities that don't involve physical therapy, experience in undergraduate research, and good letters of recommendation (one from a physical therapist that earned her degree at the school I want to get into).
Am I competitive? Do I have a chance if I retake the GRE and am not able to score any higher?

ALSO if you were able to get into a school with a lower GRE score such as mine would you be willing to share what your GRE score was and which school you were accepted into? I'm at a cross roads of what I should do!

Thanks!

Retake.

I know plenty of friends who got accepted to PT schools with your scores (they had high GPAs), but I wouldn't necessarily say your scores are competitive. I'd say breaking the 300 mark is always a good call (at least 150s on q and v). But with your GPA, you'd be VERY competitive if you break the mid 150s and get a 310+ and a 4.5 writing score.
Do you know by chance which schools they were accepted to? I'm trying to figure out which schools accept these scores vs. reject immediately when seeing them.

Do you know by chance which schools they were accepted to? I'm trying to figure out which schools accept these scores vs. reject immediately when seeing them.
I may have exaggerated. I know one friend who got into Georgia State the second time he applied (waitlisted the first time) with your GRE scores but his GPA was really high and he added some research experience before he reapplied. A therapist I work with currently was accepted to Armstrong in Savannah, GA with your GREs but his GPA was also very high. I'd say of the two, you'll have a better shot with Armstrong, but like redrose said, the best advice is for you to retake your GREs to increase your chances of getting in the first time. Also, both of those programs happen to be very affordable state programs, which make them extremely competitive to get into and harder to get into each year.

Not all schools require the GRE, but it is always a safe bet to retake it if you are able to before applications are due. With PTCAS you can update your GRE score after you have submitted your application, up until the deadlines -- if i remember correctly. That way you don't have to wait to submit if you are still retaking the GRE.

I took my GRE 3x and ended with a 150, 151 and 4.0. With a 3.4 cum GPA and 3.7 pre req GPA I was denied to the two schools that look at the GPA / GRE most strictly (Chapman and CSUN) but was accepted to a school that does not take the GRE.
Note that I have tons of observation hours (2,000+) and lots of other extracurricular activities that helped make up for my GRE scores.

When you know what schools you want to apply for the best thing is to reach out to the department and see if you can sign up for a meeting / tour / preview day. That is where you will get the most accurate and intimate information on what they look for in applicants as well as what their campus and programs are like.

Good luck!

Instead of spending a lot of energy trying to get around the GRE issue, take the time now to prepare and retake the test. You have plenty of time before the summer cycle opens and it will be well worth your time. If you can get above the 300 mark, almost any school would be open to you....if you don't, you may have a much more limited pool. Spend the money and take a prep class...that way you can't push it off.

PTCAS keeps a directory of application stats for every school that uses it (link below, schools are listed by state). Every school that I applied to had minimum GRE scores, which are listed in PTCAS. If I were you, I'd make a list of schools you want to apply to and check both their minimum and average GRE scores and try to meet or exceed the average, if possible. Some schools (UCSF/SFSU) will ask you to retake the GRE to hit a specific minimum (eg, AW 4.5) if they really want you, but I wouldn't rely on this kindness.

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/allprograms.aspx?listorder=state&navID=10737426784

I agree with @starrsgirl . I took the Kaplan prep course, took all provided practice exams, and I improved my score 30 points from the first practice exam I ever took to the score I made at the end of the prep course on the real exam.

I was wondering if any body was in the opposite scenario. My GPA is on the less competitive side, but my GRE score is stronger. I have a 3.25 pre-req GPA with a 3.22 overall. My GRE scores are 155 verbal, 157 quantitative and 4.0 analytical. If anyone has any experience with this situation your input would be greatly appreciated.

Not all schools require the GRE, but it is always a safe bet to retake it if you are able to before applications are due. With PTCAS you can update your GRE score after you have submitted your application, up until the deadlines -- if i remember correctly. That way you don't have to wait to submit if you are still retaking the GRE.

I took my GRE 3x and ended with a 150, 151 and 4.0. With a 3.4 cum GPA and 3.7 pre req GPA I was denied to the two schools that look at the GPA / GRE most strictly (Chapman and CSUN) but was accepted to a school that does not take the GRE.
Note that I have tons of observation hours (2,000+) and lots of other extracurricular activities that helped make up for my GRE scores.

When you know what schools you want to apply for the best thing is to reach out to the department and see if you can sign up for a meeting / tour / preview day. That is where you will get the most accurate and intimate information on what they look for in applicants as well as what their campus and programs are like.

Good luck!

@jwhite13 do you mind saying which school you were accepted to?

Are you planning to apply for the 2017-2018 cycle?
If so then you have plenty of time to retake the GRE and I would retake it if I were you! I took mine on May 31st and completed my application early August.

Yes many schools don't have minimums, however the sort of "unsaid rule" is what people have been saying here: try to get a combined score of at least 300 with a minimum of 150 in both sections.

You're really close to that score, and although you have a high gpa, you want every part of your application to be strong if you have the possibility to do something about it. In your case, you have more than enough time to retake the gre, and if paying for the test is tough, you can apply for a waiver or talk to your campus' financial aid department.
I totally agree with what @starrsgirl said, I would retake it.

I was wondering if any body was in the opposite scenario. My GPA is on the less competitive side, but my GRE score is stronger. I have a 3.25 pre-req GPA with a 3.22 overall. My GRE scores are 155 verbal, 157 quantitative and 4.0 analytical. If anyone has any experience with this situation your input would be greatly appreciated.
I had a lower gpa and pre req gpa, with 155 v 158 a and 5.5 aw. I got into two top 10 programs so as long as you shine in every other aspect of your application, anything is possible. I would recommend applying to a range of schools!

I had a lower gpa and pre req gpa, with 155 v 158 a and 5.5 aw. I got into two top 10 programs so as long as you shine in every other aspect of your application, anything is possible. I would recommend applying to a range of schools!
Thanks for the reply, its giving me a little bit of relief. What schools did you get into because that is awesome to get into two top schools?

Thanks for the reply, its giving me a little bit of relief. What schools did you get into because that is awesome to get into two top schools?
Yeah for sure! I got into Northwestern and MGHIHP.