koobs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Iowa City
Status
Medical Student
Had an attending ask me this but I can't find the answer. He said to assume a 20ish healthy incubated patient. I have found the alveolar has equation, but can't finure what to use for arterial. Fick?

sigrhoillusion

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2014
PAO2 = ( FiO2 * (Patm – PH2O)) – (PaCO2 / RQ).

It depends on certain factors. Are you at sea level? Do they have a normal resp quotient? What's the PACO2.

If you are to assume everything is "normal" with a PaCO2 of 40 then it would be ~663mmHg

OP
K

koobs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Iowa City
Status
Medical Student
PAO2 = ( FiO2 * (Patm – PH2O)) – (PaCO2 / RQ).

It depends on certain factors. Are you at sea level? Do they have a normal resp quotient? What's the PACO2.

If you are to assume everything is "normal" with a PaCO2 of 40 then it would be ~663mmHg
Yeah that is what I thought. I said about 700 just doing the math in my head but he said no...

About the Ads

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Not home
Status
Attending Physician
So -

He didn't follow that by telling you the answer and how he arrived at it?

That's some mighty fine teaching there, Lou.

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
So -

He didn't follow that by telling you the answer and how he arrived at it?

That's some mighty fine teaching there, Lou.
Ugh I used to have a few obnoxious attendings that would ask basic anesthesia physics-ish questions like this, give an answer and never explain. Very, very frustrating.

dhb

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Tiva or not? You also have to factor in the gas: 6% des will take a chunk off of that 660
Temperature of incubation is also a game changer.

Maverikk

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
PaO2 is measured. PAO2 can be calculated using the equation, quick and dirty way is to multiply the FiO2 by 6 and you'll get close assuming no extremes of elevation, normal pCO2

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
What's the highest number anyone on SDN has ever seen on an ABG for the PAO2? There is theoretical and then there is real world.

proman

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
I guess I'm cheating but you can get PaO2 above 760 by going hypothermic. Our co-oximeters just give a blank result at around 24 degrees. I'll post a picture on Wednesday from my next circ arrest case. If you want to be pedantic, remind your attending that he didn't specify temperature or pressure.

Reactions: Pseudolgos and pgg
About the Ads