What is the max pao2 on 1.0 fio2?

Started by koobs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koobs

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had an attending ask me this but I can't find the answer. He said to assume a 20ish healthy incubated patient. I have found the alveolar has equation, but can't finure what to use for arterial. Fick?
 
PAO2 = ( FiO2 * (Patm – PH2O)) – (PaCO2 / RQ).

It depends on certain factors. Are you at sea level? Do they have a normal resp quotient? What's the PACO2.

If you are to assume everything is "normal" with a PaCO2 of 40 then it would be ~663mmHg
 
PAO2 = ( FiO2 * (Patm – PH2O)) – (PaCO2 / RQ).

It depends on certain factors. Are you at sea level? Do they have a normal resp quotient? What's the PACO2.

If you are to assume everything is "normal" with a PaCO2 of 40 then it would be ~663mmHg
Yeah that is what I thought. I said about 700 just doing the math in my head but he said no...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So -

He didn't follow that by telling you the answer and how he arrived at it?

That's some mighty fine teaching there, Lou.

Ugh I used to have a few obnoxious attendings that would ask basic anesthesia physics-ish questions like this, give an answer and never explain. Very, very frustrating.
 
PaO2 is measured. PAO2 can be calculated using the equation, quick and dirty way is to multiply the FiO2 by 6 and you'll get close assuming no extremes of elevation, normal pCO2
 
Off the top of my head, many 5xx. Don't think I've ever seen 600+.

I stand corrected. Young trauma patient from last night. I'm at sea level. FiO2 was 1.0. He even had a small left hemothorax.

IMG_3957.JPG
 
I guess I'm cheating but you can get PaO2 above 760 by going hypothermic. Our co-oximeters just give a blank result at around 24 degrees. I'll post a picture on Wednesday from my next circ arrest case. If you want to be pedantic, remind your attending that he didn't specify temperature or pressure.