What is the most efficient way or studying? (MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm retaking the MCAT this July. Last time I studied, I just studied directly from the books I had and tried to do the associated practice problems. This wasn't helping me retain the information for long periods of time.

I find that making outlines/taking notes of each chapter of my MCAT books works pretty well for retaining information, but this takes forever. It's the same issue with watching videos online.

Can anyone that's scored high please help

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I think based off @BerkReviewTeach recommendations.

Phase (1): Read the material, take notes, watch videos, and understand it. Then, do ~50 practice questions on what you studied, taking note of anything you get incorrect.

Phase (2): 2 days later, re-read notes and take another ~50 practice questions. Take note of anything you get incorrect; hone in on answers you get incorrect twice.

Phase (3): 2-3 weeks later, re-read notes and take another ~50 practice questions.

You need phase 1/2/3 for each chapter of material, regardless of if it's EK, Kaplan, or TBR, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
We are definitely strong believers in the three phases of homework and the timing. That is pretty much it, although people should have some flexibility in the timing. I assume the schedule SN2ed originally built from feedback that was out there was modeled in part after our three-phase homework. It really is the best way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @BerkReviewTeach do you have more details on your recommended "3 phase approach"? I have the TBR books and am wondering if I should do the passages in the books timed or untimed.

Hi @BerkReviewTeach do you have more details on your recommended "3 phase approach"? I have the TBR books and am wondering if I should do the passages in the books timed or untimed.

The timing for the phases is listed on the second page of Book 1 for general chemistry as well as the second page of Book 1 for physics. I'd recommending using Physics 1, because that also has the most up-to-date study schedule at the back of the book. That will give you a suggested timeline as well as the timing for each of the three phases.