You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What is your DREAM medical school and why?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
BaylorCOM. Top tier school with super cheap tuition and you get amazing exposure at Texas Medical Center.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My learned colleague beat me to it!!!Dream schools are like "dream girls," far better in the imagination than in reality.
University of Toronto. Couldn't get in, so now I'm in med school in Europe 😉
Will it be difficult for you to get a residency in Canada
Dream schools are like "dream girls," far better in the imagination than in reality.
8
878956
Penn Med, I like their commitment to the community. I would also like to do health equity research and stay in the east coast region.
Yea I know, but better than not getting in at all no? I love Europe, fly to Paris for the weekend, all the history and so much more. Might stay here, although I'll definitely take my Canadian exams.Will it be difficult for you to get a residency in Canada
Yea I know, but better than not getting in at all no? I love Europe, fly to Paris for the weekend, all the history and so much more. Might stay here, although I'll definitely take my Canadian exams.
What med school are you at?
Dream schools are like "dream girls," far better in the imagination than in reality.
You should write a book about all your pithy one liners. This reminds me of the losing 4.0 one 😆
UMich, in-state tuition, close to family, curriculum sounds nice, and Ann Arbor is dope.
I was considering a few Michigan schools as they're all pretty close to me (ann arbor about 2 hours away) though I'm from Ohio so would probably apply to just the private ones.
I was considering a few Michigan schools as they're all pretty close to me (ann arbor about 2 hours away) though I'm from Ohio so would probably apply to just the private ones.
I go to school in Ohio so I was going to apply to 1 or 2 Ohio schools (1 being my undergrad). I just love UMich, not to mentioned being a Michigan fan forever.
USUHS.
D
deleted853480
My dream medical school is the one I get into
Humanitas in MilanWhat med school are you at?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have one and won't have one until my application cycle. What will make a school my "dream school" is the questions they ask on their secondaries and their mission statement.
I go to school in Ohio so I was going to apply to 1 or 2 Ohio schools (1 being my undergrad). I just love UMich, not to mentioned being a Michigan fan forever.
Now you have me wondering if we're at the same school 😀
I love everything about Georgetown except the cost.
I love everything about Georgetown except the cost.
Clearly you’ve never seen the jalby thread.
Clearly you’ve never seen the jalby thread.
Meh, Jalby was just an entitled kid who wanted to change his interview date two times, and when the school wouldn't bend over backwards for him, he spent the next 20 years complaining online. I'd hardly let his opinion influence my impressions...!
My dream school is my exact school except faster repairs on our facilities.
Not telling you which one. But the dream school for you is out there if you apply broadly.
Not telling you which one. But the dream school for you is out there if you apply broadly.
My Dream school is the one I choose to matriculate to in the end, no matter how things suck I love my school. It has its negatives but just letting you guys know you can really end up in a place where you feel absolutely lucky that you made the right choice to matriculate their and the admins act absolutely lucky to have you their. So yeah i'm in love with my school even though I b*tch and complain about it at times but if I didnt it wouldnt be true love.
This is gonna sound weird, but: Mayo Clinic SoM. Small class size, elite reputation and research, cold weather (which I love), and Minnesota has awesome people. Also affordable tuition!
Nothing weird about that! How does that work though? Do you apply to each of the three separately or they're all one application and you get to choose a preferred campus location?
Edit: ok so I just saw how the florida one works, where it's 2 years at either arizona or minnesota first then 2 at florida so I'm guessing you choose the preference on the secondaries.
Nothing weird about that! How does that work though? Do you apply to each of the three separately or they're all one application and you get to choose a preferred campus location?
Edit: ok so I just saw how the florida one works, where it's 2 years at either arizona or minnesota first then 2 at florida so I'm guessing you choose the preference on the secondaries.
It looks a little complicated, but you apply to Mayo and select either MN or AZ, or both. Each location is a separate primary app fee. The Florida campus option has you spend M3 and M4 in Florida and the first two years at either of the other campuses. So it seems like it's separate applications.
Interesting...I think I might add their arizona location to my list once I look through their program more! That weather over there looks amazing haha. I also like the cold but I absolutely hate walking around in nasty slush so I wouldn't mind somewhere that rarely snows
Dream schools are like "dream girls," far better in the imagination than in reality.
A fantasy ceases to be a fantasy once you have realized the fantasy.
This applies to a steamy hookup, an ideal SO, family, career, body type and medical school.
There isnt a single medical school in the USA that interests me more than my present one because you get out of your medical education what you put into it. Ive met some really crappy physicians from “top tier” and some really great ones at “low tier”...even IMGs.
Get into med school, graduate, enjoy the process however it unfolds.
the thrill is in the journey and not the arrival.
I agree with the bolded statement.A fantasy ceases to be a fantasy once you have realized the fantasy.
This applies to a steamy hookup, an ideal SO, family, career, body type and medical school.
There isnt a single medical school in the USA that interests me more than my present one because you get out of your medical education what you put into it. Ive met some really crappy physicians from “top tier” and some really great ones at “low tier”...even IMGs.
Get into med school, graduate, enjoy the process however it unfolds.
the thrill is in the journey and not the arrival.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to disagree with the people saying dream schools don't exist etc. Some schools really cater more towards their students than others. And, if you work hard enough anything is possible.
I hear hogwarts has a very highly ranked program with good residency placement for a foreign medical school
University of Kentucky because they accepted me.
Icahn-Mount Sinai due to their clinical sites, research opportunities, flexible clinical curriculum, and NYC (diverse food choices and decent access to hiking and skiing if I have time)
Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee campus) due to their clinical sites, global health program, strong basic science curriculum, and location in Milwaukee (where I have a lot of family and some knowledge of the area).
Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee campus) due to their clinical sites, global health program, strong basic science curriculum, and location in Milwaukee (where I have a lot of family and some knowledge of the area).
Mayo--medium sized city, reputation, crazy cases.
I think mayo has become my dream school as well lol. I watched the video a couple students from there made and looked into it a ton and I think I'm infatuated 😛
It’s a bad one to fall in love with... class of like 50-something?? It’s insane :/I think mayo has become my dream school as well lol. I watched the video a couple students from there made and looked into it a ton and I think I'm infatuated 😛
It’s a bad one to fall in love with... class of like 50-something?? It’s insane :/
Yeah but the do have the Arizona campus for another 50 some spots so not horrible! The environment at Mayo just seems so ideal.
Unfortunately next on my list would be lerner at only 32 spots (close to family, awesome curriculum, plenty of research, close to free clinic and underserved areas, and best of all free tuition 😀 ). I don't know if my primary care oriented app will flow with them though and no first author pubs so they're probably a huge reach for me.
Mayo--medium sized city, reputation, crazy cases.
Yes but also apocalyptic cold for 5+ months of the year lol
Yes but also apocalyptic cold for 5+ months of the year lol
Unless you go to the desert
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
U right u rightYes but also apocalyptic cold for 5+ months of the year lol
Where I’m from the current wind chill is 3 degrees, though, so I’m semi used to it. On New Year’s Eve it was -13. It was horrible.
Last edited:
I read that one. Freakin great book. The second one wasn’t that good but the first was great. But yeah, the cold there is on a whole different level@bioboy23 @The Knife & Gun Club @freedoctor17
Michael Collins, who wrote "Hot Lights, Cold Steel" did his ortho residency at Mayo. I remember one line from the book that was along the lines of "It was - 40 degrees today with the windchill."
I read that one. Freakin great book. The second one wasn’t that good but the first was great. But yeah, the cold there is on a whole different level
I liked Blue Collar Blue Scrubs! But I also don't read very often so I'm not really a book connoisseur.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like coming from Ohio weather I'd at least be somewhat used to it haha, I'd probably prefer the arizona campus though if I was lucky enough to have a choice between the two.
I don’t even remember the reason I didn’t like it. I think the first one was just so good it kinda threw me off!I liked Blue Collar Blue Scrubs! But I also don't read very often so I'm not really a book connoisseur.
Hello, I am currently looking for a reputable medical school in Europe and was wondering if the English Language Med Program at Humanitas is accredited for residency placement in the United States?Humanitas in Milan
st george’s
Closing.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.

