What is your DREAM medical school and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freedoctor17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers, there are a few other old threads like this and I wanted to start a more recent one.

So what is your dream med school (or maybe top 3 if you don't have a specific one in mind) and more importantly why?

edit: removed portion referring to myself... quickly realized basing my own list off other people's reasoning not a smart idea :p but I still think it'll be interesting to see what takes priority for people

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Until you have an acceptance, they are all your dream school

Reactions: 54 users
very true lol but let's pretend we're in lala land and our dreams weren't limited by whether the schools would accept us or not :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow i probably should've expected these responses :p

Maybe I should've phrased it more like "Which specific med school programs have caught your interest the most and why?"

I hear hogwarts has a very highly ranked program with good residency placement for a foreign medical school

Reactions: 16 users
gahhhh why do I even try, this thread is lost already :D

Reactions: 1 user
The idea of dream schools in of itself is silly. Attaching your identity to universities whose acceptance rates are usually between 1 and 5% (and whose behavior is sometimes so outwardly random that entire websites like this are necessary to survive) is like asking to be disappointed. Only few of us (not including myself) can confidently say that "everything will work out in the end" after having been enlightened by post-acceptance wisdom™

Reactions: 4 users
Washington University of Barbados School of Medicine.
1280px-WUB.png

Reactions: 16 users
Honestly it would be hard to say since each school "speaks" differently to each student and it is hard to decide without visiting a school.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think the idea is silly. One should always have some goal, no matter how small the chances of attaining it are. Having some direction in life is good.

Mine is my state school because the tuition is 20K.

Reactions: 5 users
Mine was the private mid tier ten minutes from my house because A. I like my house and I own it, so moving would be super painful and involve selling my house, B. I really like my coworkers, and I could stay PRN if I didn't move, and C. brand new facility, beautiful building, very attentive to their students.

Alas, they rejected me. So my new dream school is Nova Southeastern's new MD program, because Fort Lauderdale is beautiful and the evil white snow stuff doesn't dare show its face there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA. I get to live with my bf and live in Los Angeles.

Mine was the private mid tier ten minutes from my house because A. I like my house and I own it, so moving would be super painful and involve selling my house, B. I really like my coworkers, and I could stay PRN if I didn't move, and C. brand new facility, beautiful building, very attentive to their students.

Alas, they rejected me. So my new dream school is Nova Southeastern's new MD program, because Fort Lauderdale is beautiful and the evil white snow stuff doesn't dare show its face there.

I'm conflicted on the distance from home thing (though for me it's on a much lower scale since I still live with my parents). I'd love to stay close to home because I know I'd miss not being able to see my family whenever I want but I've also been here my whole life as well as through all of undergrad and it would be cool to try some place new. I guess the nice thing is that whoever accepts you pretty much makes these decisions for you :p

If it came down to the point where I have a choice though I'd probably end up staying close to home and honestly I'm glad you mentioned this because that's probably what I should've asked myself in the first place. I got a bit too caught up in all the "bells and whistles" people are always considering.

Duke University SOM; I love how they set up their curriculum.

The idea of dream schools in of itself is silly. Attaching your identity to universities whose acceptance rates are usually between 1 and 5% (and whose behavior is sometimes so outwardly random that entire websites like this are necessary to survive) is like asking to be disappointed. Only few of us (not including myself) can confidently say that "everything will work out in the end" after having been enlightened by post-acceptance wisdom™

You don't have to attach your entire identity to one school! At least when I say dream school I'm pretty much asking which schools programs seemed like a good fit for you and I was hoping to understand why they thought so. From the couple serious responses so far I at least realized I wasn't considering other important things like location and cost (at least in my question- trust me I've thought about the costs plenty :D)

I'm conflicted on the distance from home thing (though for me it's on a much lower scale since I still live with my parents). I'd love to stay close to home because I know I'd miss not being able to see my family whenever I want but I've also been here my whole life as well as through all of undergrad and it would be cool to try some place new. I guess the nice thing is that whoever accepts you pretty much makes these decisions for you :p

If it came down to the point where I have a choice though I'd probably end up staying close to home and honestly I'm glad you mentioned this because that's probably what I should've asked myself in the first place. I got a bit too caught up in all the "bells and whistles" people are always considering.
It's really important for some people to be close to home; not as much for others. If you think you can handle being away from everyone you've ever known that's great; if you can't, there's no shame in it.
Homesickness is real, and I ended up in my PCP's office nine months after moving absolutely hysterical and crying my eyes out because I was miserable and I just wanted something to help with the pain. I remember him telling me I was a strong, successful person, and I interrupted my MD, saying, "Hell yes I'm awesome, that's not the problem... I'm just lonely." It happens, and it can happen to anyone. If your support system isn't moving with you, ease of access to "your people" can be an extremely important factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Harvard. The pathways program structure is amazing pedagogically. and their research is phenomenal.

Here’s to hoping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvard. The pathways program structure is amazing pedagogically. and their research is phenomenal.

Here’s to hoping :)

Harvard is pretty crazy. If you think about it, no other academic institution in the world can really match Harvard in terms of just how many fields they lead in (top undergrad, top law/business/med/public policy/public health/individual academic departments in the sciences and humanities). They really only lack serious firepower in engineering, but MIT is right down the street (see: Broad Institute). Something similar could probably be said for Stanford (except they've got good weather :p)

Harvard is pretty crazy. If you think about it, no other academic institution in the world can really match Harvard in terms of just how many fields they lead in (top undergrad, top law/business/med/public policy/public health/individual academic departments in the sciences and humanities). They really only lack serious firepower in engineering, but MIT is right down the street (see: Broad Institute). Something similar could probably be said for Stanford (except they've got good weather )

My genius friends indeed mostly went to MIT and Caltech (I never hung out with the premed crowd, I’m a physics major lol). I’m the “weirdo” for wanting to go to Harvard.

Also, the MD/PhD track at Harvard is joint with MIT!!! It’s a game changer for sure. One of the alumni from my alma is currently doing research at Harvard and he played D1 football in the 50’s. I just wanna geek out with him like 24/7

This is all a pipe dream of course, but it never hurts to strive hard!

I hear hogwarts has a very highly ranked program with good residency placement for a foreign medical school

But you have to do REALLY well on the OWL - Ordinary Wizarding Level Examination. And even then, your placement chances aren't high :(

Reactions: 3 users
But you have to do REALLY well on the OWL - Ordinary Wizarding Level Examination. And even then, your placement chances aren't high :(
I was under the impression your OWLs were important, but it was your NEWTs that really make or break your career.

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

You get an early start here.

wow i probably should've expected these responses :p

Maybe I should've phrased it more like "Which specific med school programs have caught your interest the most and why”

Yea don’t expect to get a straight response from SDN. No matter what you have said, some members would have found a way to give you a cooky response.

Yea don’t expect to get a straight response from SDN. No matter what you have said, some members would have found a way to give you a cooky response.

I've actually gotten so much practical help from SDN throughout my undergrad, especially over in the MCAT threads, but this was the first thread I've made that's more open so that might be it lol. It's ok though they make things a little more fun, but I'm glad some people still answered more seriously

Yeah you're right. the OWL is like the MCAT but the NEWT is like the USMLE...

Dream schools are like "dream girls," far better in the imagination than in reality.

And just like my dream girl, my dream school has eyes for another...:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
And just like my dream girl, my dream school has eyes for another...:rofl:

I'm sorry...

Lol imagine converting that. Like higher GPA (larger d*cks)

• Wow
I'm sorry...

Lol imagine converting that. Like higher GPA (larger d*cks)

But as they say in med school admissions, it ain't about GPA or MCAT score. It's about the rest of the packet. Just like it ain't about size. It's about the "rest" of the packet.

I used to have an idea of a 'dream school', but after interviewing at schools, I've honestly just fallen in love with every place...

Reactions: 9 users
My genius friends indeed mostly went to MIT and Caltech (I never hung out with the premed crowd, I’m a physics major lol). I’m the “weirdo” for wanting to go to Harvard.

Also, the MD/PhD track at Harvard is joint with MIT!!! It’s a game changer for sure. One of the alumni from my alma is currently doing research at Harvard and he played D1 football in the 50’s. I just wanna geek out with him like 24/7

This is all a pipe dream of course, but it never hurts to strive hard!

Somebody has to get in (okay, a whole bunch of somebodies)... why not you?

I used to have an idea of a 'dream school', but after interviewing at schools, I've honestly just fallen in love with every place...
Well this is super reassuring! I hope I feel the same way. Then it simplifies things and I can just pick based on cost/location.

Well this is super reassuring! I hope I feel the same way. Then it simplifies things and I can just pick based on cost/location.

Yeah I think that's how it usually plays out! I've found that the concept of dream school was only ever apparent before I knew much about the program (before actually visiting). Too much idealization otherwise.

Yeah I think that's how it usually plays out! I've found that the concept of dream school was only ever apparent before I knew much about the program (before actually visiting). Too much idealization otherwise.

Yeah this whole concept is sort of new to me. I went to a very small highschool and literally had like 3 options when applying to undergrad because didn't even consider leaving home and honestly knew nothing about other schools but the ones nearby. I was initially the same with med schools but then started hearing everyone talking about what schools they wanna apply to and thought I should probably start considering that. I made a thread before to help Make a list and people pretty much said just apply to your state schools and any private schools that interest you out of state. Problem was I had no clue where to start and found myself going through schools one by one on the msar and not really getting anywhere. They all just blended together so was hoping to get some perspective from what others thought

You don't have to attach your entire identity to one school! At least when I say dream school I'm pretty much asking which schools programs seemed like a good fit for you and I was hoping to understand why they thought so. From the couple serious responses so far I at least realized I wasn't considering other important things like location and cost (at least in my question- trust me I've thought about the costs plenty :D)

I love when family and friends ask where I want to go to med school. My stock answer is always, “um, wherever I get in.” And everyone laughs and says, “okay, but really... where do you want to go?” Duh. Wherever.i.get.in.

My idea of a dream school has definitely changed since I started this process. At the beginning, I chased, wooed and mooned over some schools I thought were were dreamy. Some of them broke my heart. But then there were others... others I never expected to notice me and who were not on my radar to begin with...that gave me some love. As it turns out, it’s so much better when you realize that your dream school is one that notices you, asks you out and is looking for a long term relationship.

Remember, even though it might not seem like it right now, the dream is not medical school. The dream is to become a doctor. Getting into medical school is quite possibly the most important step in getting to that dream, and arguably the most difficult part, but it's not the end of the road or even close to it. At every medical school, whether it's Harvard or North West Central Wyoming A&M College of Medicine, you will be doing an intense amount of work and find yourself under a lot of stress. But at the end of the day, any school that gets you where you want to go is a dream school. And hopefully you'll meet some good people and have good experiences along the way.

Reactions: 9 users

Yeah we know that. But one can dream about their top choice. Thats why they're called DREAM schools. Lets not act like we all don't have them.

My wife's school was my top choice and realistically no school could match that.
But aside from that I prefer strong schools with more traditional curriculum....I do much better in a traditional classroom setting.

Last edited:
Yeah we know that. But one can dream about their top choice. Thats why they're called DREAM schools. Lets not act like we all don't have them.
Thank you! haha some people definitely had some interesting perspectives that I was happy to read but I was initially intending for it to be this simple... :p

And I think it’s healthy to dream big—that’s how I push myself anyway. I mean at the end of the day, I’ll be honored if any school grants me a medical degree; that’s the goal, to be a doctor. But I also want to push myself constantly, and one way is to do that (for me) is to have big dreams!

UMich, in-state tuition, close to family, curriculum sounds nice, and Ann Arbor is dope.

Yale. P/P system, no shelf exams

I love when family and friends ask where I want to go to med school. My stock answer is always, “um, wherever I get in.” And everyone laughs and says, “okay, but really... where do you want to go?” Duh. Wherever.i.get.in.

My idea of a dream school has definitely changed since I started this process. At the beginning, I chased, wooed and mooned over some schools I thought were were dreamy. Some of them broke my heart. But then there were others... others I never expected to notice me and who were not on my radar to begin with...that gave me some love. As it turns out, it’s so much better when you realize that your dream school is one that notices you, asks you out and is looking for a long term relationship.

This is really the best outlook. Any US med school, especially when talking to your social circle. They don't understand how crazy admissions are: med schools getting 5000+ apps, med schools only interviewing 10-15% of applicants, med schools then only accepting about 1/3 or 1/2 of those interviewed (or even worse odds). All friends and family think is that you've worked hard, you have the grades, and therefore surely the best meds will want you.

In the end, where you match for residency will have a greater impact on your future career. Match at MGH, UCSF, JHU or similar and you probably can write your own ticket. Match at a community program and you'll have a successful career, but maybe not as notable.

They’re actually number 3 behind Yale and Stanford. They trade off with Stanford a lot, but Yale has consistently been number 1 for like a decade or more.
Yeah that's true, I was moreso using top as in generally top tier, but I think the fact that you were interpreting top to mean #1 in all those fields says something

University of Toronto. Couldn't get in, so now I'm in med school in Europe ;)

Yeah that's true, I was moreso using top as in generally top tier, but I think the fact that you were interpreting top to mean #1 in all those fields says something

Yeah, I thought when you were saying they were leading the field that you meant they were number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.