What is your favorite animal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I know there is a thread in the lounge area, but I think it would be fun to see what animals veterinary students call their favorite. I may never end up working with my favorite animals but you never know...

I have a few:
Bald Eagle - if I died and was able to come back as an animal, I would come back as an eagle. They are at the top of the food chain and they can soar! There are many bald eagles where I am from and they are beautiful creatures.
Killer Whale - It is all Willy's fault!
Betta - I've had several bettas as pets over the past three years. Each betta has their own personality and they are very interactive. When they see you enter the room, they start doing their little "Feed Me!" dance.
Cat - Domestic cats, lions, tigers, leopards... I pretty much love them all. I'll admit to this... I find adult cats cuter than kittens.

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty traditional..

Cats. Definately Adult Cats..Big Male Maine Coons who just wanna purr on your neck and roll dough on your chest. I love that.

Dogs a close second. Favorite Breed???? Um give ya one guess<<<See avatar.

Horses, hands down :D I mean, just look at my name- turn and burn is a barrel racing phrase. Any breed, size, shape and color.

Although I've never been very fond of Appaloosas. Never met one I really liked. (I hope I don't get beat up for saying that :p) Might have something to do with the time I was 12 and the one I was riding decided he had had enough and stopped to roll in the middle of the arena, leaving me to jump clear and stupidly stand there and watch this horse roll in the dirt, saddle and all...

Members don't see this ad :)
exotic: Giraffes (i've always thought they were graceful) and big cats (similar reason)
companion: dogs -- either medium sized (my cocker spaniel who's a spoiled brat :)) or huge, like st. bernards, great danes, great pyrenees, or malamutes. i like them lap sized (but not teacup) or huge. -- obviously a personal preference, i would treat any .... :)

My favorite exotic is definitely the okapi and my favorite domestic is the horse. Quarter horses and Arabians are my favorites, but I love them all!

...if I could be any animal I would be a koala because they get to sleep for 23 hours a day LOL

I love elephants a lot!!!! I wish one day I get to work with them. Ofcourse I love wild and domestic cats. I love dogs of all shapes and sizes....

I love macaws and conures. I love most birds. I'm also a dog person. I have piebald mini dachshund and a poodle mix. There are some breeds I'm not crazy about, but on the all I love dogs.

My absolute favorite animal would be frogs, especially tree frogs. I am slightly embarrassed to say that some day I will probably need an entire room to house my living collection. :oops:

I love penguins... not sure why though. They're just so damn cool.

As far as domestics go... I can't really decide between dog or cats. It depends on the individual personality of the animal--I've had cats I liked much more than some dogs, and dogs I liked much more than some cats. With my current pets, however, I'd say the cat is my favorite--big ol' 24 pound tom cat (I swear, he's just big-boned ;)) that won't stop purring. Ever.

Exotics - I'm a lion girl :D. But the other great/wild cats come in closely behind.
Domestic - It's a tie between larger dogs and cats. Breed-wise... probably Siamese mixes (flame points are gorgeous) and definitely German shepherds, also Siberian huskies and labs. The best dogs I've ever had have been either GSD/SH or GSD/lab--can you tell I'm a little biased ;)?

Exotics: I really love crocodilians. They're waaaay cool! :)

Domestics: Ummm...everything? I love dogs of any shape, size, and breed, guinea pigs (especially when they squeak!), and goats.

Exotics: I really love crocodilians. They're waaaay cool! :)

I'm going to be in a crocodilian anatomy at savma symposium! I'm pretty excited about it.

As for me, my favorite animal is the little terror in my avatar.

Close second is Asian Elephant. Hopefully I can go back to the FAE hospital in Thailand and help them out.

Yeah, reptile people! I have a thing for herps, particularly snakes. They're so deliberate about everything. Also rabbits are pretty cool, like little hopping horses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be in a crocodilian anatomy at savma symposium! I'm pretty excited about it.

As for me, my favorite animal is the little terror in my avatar.

Close second is Asian Elephant. Hopefully I can go back to the FAE hospital in Thailand and help them out.

Our anatomy professor is Thai and takes a group over there to work with Asian elephants every summer. Personally, I much prefer African elephants - mainly because that is what I was used to working with.

This is going to sound horrible, since one just ate a dog (saw it on the news) but I love scrub pythons.

Immense power, wildly impressive. Any of the giant constrictors, really. Talk about something that's both evolutionarily primitive and evolutionarily specialized/adapted at the same time.

But then again, I just like snakes in general. Western hognoses (avatar, I have two) come in a close second!

Right now I am trying to figure out the morph of the corn snake (pretty sure?) on Danaish's avatar. Miami? Candycane? Albino? Pretty!

I <3 my blue point siamese-mix.
Really, I love all meezers, they are such sassy cats!:biglove:

I love raccoons and opossums! I REALLY do. The emergency vet. clinic I work for sometimes gets them from animal control (injured wildlife), and I just love it when we can rehabilitate them.

Horses and Polar Bears!!!!

Cattle are definitely my favorite. I bet nobody would have ever guessed. They have to be about the toughest animals ever, some of the things farmers do to their cattle would kill any other type of animal.

Not to mention I LOVE beef:D

Horses of course!

Love, love dogs too - and otters, zebras, and elephants! :)

I'm a dog person through and through. My favorite wild animals are wolves, and my favorite domestic animals are dogs. Can't get away from Canis lupus (+/-familiaris) :laugh:

I've got a 4 year old Great Pyrenees, a 17 year old cat and a 1.5 year old corn snake and they're my favorite individual animals though. :cool:

Domestic: Dogs and horses. I'm not sure if I can say I like one more than the other, but I can't imagine ever living without dogs again. I like the breeds that are hyper ... border collies, Jack Russells, and pretty much any terrier breed though really I'm much more partial to mutts. I like cats as long as they aren't too nice, they have to have a bit of an attitude.

Wild: Dolphins and pandas. (And wild horses too.)

Fantastical: Unicorns and dragons. I actually have dragon anatomy charts that show the skeleton and muscles complete with labels.

Exotics: Skunks! Almond or chocolate colors in particular, I'm not a big fan of traditional markings. Skunk legal states are going to be a consideration when I apply to vet school.

And beyond that, big Cats. Savannahs in particular. If I don't get a skunk, I will be looking for an early Savannah cross.

Exotic: Big cats! My favorite animal is the cheetah, hands down, followed by the rest of the big cats.

Domestic: Little cats! hehehe

Domestic: Dogs and ferrets! I had two ferrets for many years and fell in love with the furry little thieves....:p

Exotics: The big cats especially the lion!!! Their power amazes me...

Wildlife: Polar bears and otters

wood ducks...well, any type of duck for that matter, and also horses

Cats, both domestic and exotic - don't care if they're sassy, graceful, or big bubba lap cats, I love them all.

For farm animals, gotta be goats. They all seem to be comedians!

Deer! But I also really like dolphins, orcas, dogs, horses, kangaroos and hedgehogs. Oh and harbour seals are pretty awesome too!

Right now I am trying to figure out the morph of the corn snake (pretty sure?) on Danaish's avatar. Miami? Candycane? Albino? Pretty!

Just a plain old amel. :) He has a very nice pattern though and takes great pictures, at least more so than his girlfriend. Hognoses are next up on my list, I like their attitude. I guess I'd better mention Texas ratsnakes too, but only because they're my little research subjects. Nothing like staring at snake blood for hours on end!

Cats are my personal fav (both domesticated and wild) followed by chacma baboons and then dogs!! :D

I have a thing for tigers, followed by the other big cats. If I could end up in a big cat sanctuary... :love::love::love:

I like cats. The domestic and exotic ones. Baby tigers are terrors.

I also have a thing for ferrets and rats.

Really any mammalian carnivorous or omnivorous wildlife too.

i really have way to many...i was one of those nerdy children who watched the discovery channel/nature specials instead of other tv.

really into big cats...though probably some of the "smaller" big cats: lynx, bobcat, serval, and caracal (i'm not sure if you guys have seen them before, but they're awesome! they'll leap into the air to get birds) are prob some of my faves

horn sharks, swell sharks, hammerheads and whale sharks...all awesome..as well as all other shark species.

sea otters, harbor seals, bowhead whales, belugas

OH AND staghorn sculpin, thornback rays, and plainfin midshipman!! :D

i should stop now before i have a page long list, needless to say i'm a big animal fan.

He does take nice pictures! The Amels I have seen usually don't have a lot of white, he's very nice.

I have a leucistic Texas rat in addition to the hognoses (which like you say, have wonderful temperaments - my female actually works as a 'therapy' snake in Tech's Child Fear Project - for kids afraid of dogs, cats, snakes, the like). He lucked out, no bug-eye trait, but he's a handful! :D Mostly just quick, but he'll give you a no-nonsense strike (no bite) if you move too fast with him.

Great White Shark.
The Alpha Male of the sea...gotta respect that

Sea turtles! Getting to work with them for a stint only fed the obsession. I also love cetaceans (though who doesn't?), especially belugas

For domestic animals my favorites are goats and horses

also gotta love mutts whose ears can't decide whether to go up or down

...ok, that's enough for now

Cats. I'm partial to feral cats in particular.

I'm also fond of chickens and goats.

I have a thing for tigers, followed by the other big cats. If I could end up in a big cat sanctuary... :love::love::love:

:love: I share your career fantasy! Haha I'd fight you for that job!! :laugh:

Ocean: Dolphins and Sea Turtles
Land: Penguins, Elephants
Domestic: Dogs and Turtles

I've loved Elephants since I was 2 years old... my first favorite animal. Dolphins came at 4 and the rest just kinda of here and there.
:)

Rabbits!!! They're really cool. You just have to take the time to get to know them.

Also goats and giraffes.

And anything smaller than a toaster, pretty much. If it's smaller than a toaster, it's probably pretty cute! Yeah yeah, I'm such a girl : )

But I like everything, just have those few favorites.

Rabbits!!! They're really cool. You just have to take the time to get to know them.

Agreed! I think they tend to bond pretty closely to one person too, especially when you're just keeping one. My rabbit will cuddle with me for a pretty good length of time but he'll ignore anyone else who doesn't have food or a plastic bag that might possibly have food in it or is opening the door to the fridge where food is generally kept. I'd have to say food is a big motivator for my rabbit, but then again so is a good ear scratching.

WABBEETS! rule the world!:love: (rabbits in laymans term)

I also love horses, sea cucumbers (really, look them up, they're awesome especially the furry ones) and anything with feathers.

Despite the avatar, donkeys are low at the moment because they just ate all my roses.

Despite the avatar, donkeys are low at the moment because they just ate all my roses.
one spring, my female ferret dug up all the flowers I had just spent hours planting.... we had her outside on her harness... my hubby got talking on his cell phone and I was snuggling with my male ferret and neither one of us thought to wonder why she was so quiet.... :p

and yet... I still have a thing for those furry little wrecking balls... :D

Uh oh..

Hmm.. I'm all out of witty, so here's a dancing monkey. :zip:

That's okay, the monkey trumps all witty comments!

I'm not sure how weird this sounds, but I think seagulls are awesome

Domestic: DOGS! Especially Boston Terriers! Some other favorites are Pits, Frenchies, Boxers....pretty much anything with a fat head or floppy jowls.

Exotic: Snakes and Big Cats