What kind of machines are you guys using?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bthings

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I'd throw this out there. A few weeks ago, one of the first days of our CA-1 year, they gave the standard "machine checkout" lecture with the demonstration on some ancient Narkomed unit. The next week I go in to set-up for my first case and I'm using a brand new Draeger Apollo. Needless to say about 75% of the ususal checkout steps for the old machine are done automatically by the Apollo. Although, it is certainly time saving and a great machine, I feel that as a CA-1 I should probably be going through the whole checklist just to develop good habbits and actually learn the machine. I Just think it seems kind of tough finding a balance between embracing new technology and learning the basics of our craft.

I also can't imagine that all facilities, even by the time I finish residency, will have this technology. Where will I be then?

So what are you all using?

Any thoughts?

-B

Members don't see this ad.

bthings said:
Hey all,

Just thought I'd throw this out there. A few weeks ago, one of the first days of our CA-1 year, they gave the standard "machine checkout" lecture with the demonstration on some ancient Narkomed unit. The next week I go in to set-up for my first case and I'm using a brand new Draeger Apollo. Needless to say about 75% of the ususal checkout steps for the old machine are done automatically by the Apollo. Although, it is certainly time saving and a great machine, I feel that as a CA-1 I should probably be going through the whole checklist just to develop good habbits and actually learn the machine. I Just think it seems kind of tough finding a balance between embracing new technology and learning the basics of our craft.

I also can't imagine that all facilities, even by the time I finish residency, will have this technology. Where will I be then?

Any thoughts?

-B

we have ancient datex ohmedas now but we are getting apollo's within the next month or two.

I can rip through a machine check in about 3 minutes after my o2 is calibrated. faster than the built in checks with the newer machines. However, those Apollos are friggen sick.

Members don't see this ad :)
bthings said:
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

-B

Trained on Ohios with hanging bellows. Still, to this day, occasionally stumble across one when doing rural locums (or moonlighting within the LSUMC charity hospital system :laugh: ). Hanging bellows should be outlawed.

Also trained on Ohmeda Modulus-CD. First generation "high tech." Still love them.

Frequently used the 2-xxx version Dragers. Love the German feel of the selector lever to switch from bag to vent. Once you get used to the mechanical differences between Drager and Ohmeda you can easily go back and forth between the two brands.

Just for your personal edification and professional growth, I would suggest finding an older machine which doesn't do it's own checks. Start from scratch with a bare naked machine, assemble all the disposables, and do a complete old-fashioned machine checkout.

The best of all worlds right now are the Aestiva and Aspire models from Ohmeda, with a petite Datex monitor on top.

trinityalumnus said:
Frequently used the 2-xxx version Dragers. Love the German feel of the selector lever to switch from bag to vent.

:thumbup: It feels like a well-worn but-smooth-as-baby's-butt manual transmission. It even sounds cool when transitioning.

MTGas2B said:
We have a whole variety of stuff, the old Dragers, Datex-Ohmeda, etc. My favorite though, Fabius GS.
We use the brand new Datex Ohmeda aesis machines. everything automatic, checks itself out, built-in BIS and nerve stimulator; it's a real pain in the ass to troubleshoot. If something's wrong with your checkout in the am, you've got to call a tech, because there's nothing mechanical or intuitive about the machine. Doesn't even have flowmeters or knobs. I prefer the aestiva ADUs, which we still have a couple of, as do most of the attendings I've talked to. I've also been a little afraid of going out into practice and having to learn how to use an ancient narkomed

bthings said:
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

-B

I don't know if its funny, or just plain sad, that the above mentioned Draeger Narkomeds are still used in 90% of the rooms at my institution. I sort of like 'em actually. As Vent says, they are very fast to check out in the AM, and they last forever.