What looks better on your application: research experience or work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rusmedvedj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topic might exist, but I have problems finding it.

Anyway, I have been denied from Boston University dental school, even though I went for an interview there in November. I asked why, and the reason for them not accepting you was apparently because I didn't have research experience. However I have 5+ years of experience working as a dental assistant. This is what they have said:

Although your application had significant work and dental experience, your academic performance (including wards, honors, and scholarships) research experience, and academic enrichment programs was not as competitive as other applicants being considered by committee at the same time.

I hope this information is helpful.

Also here are my stats: DAT: 20 academic GPA: 3.4 science GPA: 3.6

I just want to know if it was just a cheep excuse or a legit point, and is it worth it getting into research now, since I have already graduated my undergrad?

And where can I get that research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Research is beyond important. That was not a cheap excuse, it is an actual commodity to find within the pre dental community application.

Do research that seems to take a huge interest on enhancing your resume. For example, I do research with 3D printing and working with e.coli. Those are beneficial bc I can transition that into research of dentistry with application situations.

Work on the research and do better in the interview.. I'm sure you will get in next cycle! Everything about your application seems great though!

Research is beyond important. That was not a cheap excuse, it is an actual commodity to find within the pre dental community application.

Do research that seems to take a huge interest on enhancing your resume. For example, I do research with 3D printing and working with e.coli. Those are beneficial bc I can transition that into research of dentistry with application situations.

Work on the research and do better in the interview.. I'm sure you will get in next cycle! Everything about your application seems great though!

Thank you for your reply. The thing is, I don't know where to find a research project I could join, other then my school. And I already graduated. So maybe you know something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. I know plenty of people who got in without research experience, especially because many undergraduate institutions may not offer much in the way of research. That answer sounds pretty generic and slightly like a cop-out. I guess your GPA is a little bit low (but not that low) so maybe if you took a class or 2 as a post-bacc you could raise it.

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree. I know plenty of people who got in without research experience, especially because many undergraduate institutions may not offer much in the way of research. That answer sounds pretty generic and slightly like a cop-out. I guess your GPA is a little bit low (but not that low) so maybe if you took a class or 2 as a post-bacc you could raise it.

Not a cop out at all, but it is a true statement. If a university is heavy based on research like Boston University ( you can look into how big their research program is), you can tell they look for research within a student and how they can bring that to the table.

I guess research wouldn't be a big deal if you applied to Detroit or Roseman or ASDOH. Each school is different for what they see is a huge deal for them... I am specifically stating that BU likes research experience!

Not a cop out at all, but it is a true statement. If a university is heavy based on research like Boston University ( you can look into how big their research program is), you can tell they look for research within a student and how they can bring that to the table.

I guess research wouldn't be a big deal if you applied to Detroit or Roseman or ASDOH. Each school is different for what they see is a huge deal for them... I am specifically stating that BU likes research experience!
I haven't looked much into BU but I know people who have gotten into some of the top funded schools for research without experience in it (for reference, http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/grantsandf...talSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2015.htm) . If you don't believe me, that's fine. But their answer did not just say research was the exact reason why. And actually, if OP had an interview and ended up being rejected, perhaps it was interview skills. The answer does seem extremely generic, and like a gentler way of saying "there were X amount of awesome applicants we accepted. You are not one of them"
I would tell OP that if you want to get into research, by all means do. If not, you could maybe take a class or two of science. Or you could strengthen other areas of your application (volunteering!). Then make sure your personal statement is amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't looked much into BU but I know people who have gotten into some of the top funded schools for research without experience in it (for reference, http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/grantsandf...talSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2015.htm) . If you don't believe me, that's fine. But their answer did not just say research was the exact reason why. And actually, if OP had an interview and ended up being rejected, perhaps it was interview skills. The answer does seem extremely generic, and like a gentler way of saying "there were X amount of awesome applicants we accepted. You are not one of them"
I would tell OP that if you want to get into research, by all means do. If not, you could maybe take a class or two of science. Or you could strengthen other areas of your application (volunteering!). Then make sure your personal statement is amazing.
Hm I really thought Harvard would be higher on this list.

Research really isn't that important like it is for medical school admissions.

Reactions: 1 user

Maybe some schools do value it over others. At my VCU interview, when the dean of admissions asked the applicants to raise their hand if they had been involved in research, literally everyone raised their hand. In my personal interview, it was explicitly brought up that they like to see research.

Maybe some schools do value it over others. At my VCU interview, when the dean of admissions asked the applicants to raise their hand if they had been involved in research, literally everyone raised their hand. In my personal interview, it was explicitly brought up that they like to see research.
Huh. At my VCU interview I don't think that happened lol. On my actual interview, I only brought up my research because they questioned me for not having 150 shadowing hours and I used it to compensate lol. Aside from maybe like Harvard, if the rest of your application is strong, I don't think a lack of research experience would be the sole reason for a rejection. Might just be my opinion though.

If you look at what they told you, it was a mix of academic performance, research, and academic enrichment programs. To improve for next cycle, you can do research, retake the DAT, or do more schooling. Personally, I don't see myself doing much research as a dentist, so I'm not going to do it now just to get into dental school. Also, next cycle opens up in a few months and I'd say it's more reasonable to retake the DAT and stand out there than to find a research opportunity post-undergrad.

Bleh for questions like these, there are too many factors to considerate and every case is unique/circumstantial. In my personal opinion, research without publications holds substantially less merit than research with. On the other hand, it really depends what type of work you're doing. In your case, I feel like BU just sent you a generic response; they quickly glanced at your application for things you don't have, and wrote research as the reason. I don't think lack of research was a make or break tbh.