What major is everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many medical schools don't require that you even complete a bachelor's degree before being admitted, but few applicants, if any, get in before doing so. A master's may make you more competitive, but there are probably no medical schools that require completion of a master's.

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated James Madison University, 1999:
BS Health Sciences
Minor: Biology, Pre-Med, Public Health

Graduated NSUCOM 2003
D.O.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JKDMed
I mean if one is currently enrolled in a master's program at the time of application.
Whether or not you started one. I don't think you're committed if you start one, and if it comes up you can tell the med school that it is your "fall back" option and that med school is your goal. That is reasonable and something they would probably respect because it shows that you plan for contingencies. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

They might have a problem with you working on it while in med school unless it is a dual degree program with their school.

yes..ideally you want your masters done by the time you enter medical school in the Fall. But you can be working on it during the application process. Some schools I hear don't want you to apply unless you will have completed your graduate work by the time of matriculation. (they don't like people to defer if they can help it).

Biomedical Engineering w/ Materials Science & Engineering concentration

Wildlife Sciences and Biology at Virginia Tech, woo hoo! I'm sure my extensive knowledge of mammal jaw bones and tree bark will really impress the admissions people!;) :cool:

Major: Sociology
Minor: Biology

Finance guy here. What was I thinking?:rolleyes:

Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Economics

Also...I already have a bachelors in Marketing.

...and no... a major/minor in economics does not mean an applicant is interested in $$$. A thorough understanding of economic issues in healthcare is vital to medical professionals. The problems of managed care, the underinsured, skyrocketing medical malpractice insurance rates, and the affordability of prescription drugs are ALL economic issues.

A word to the wise....take an interest in economics.

Computer Science!

Forensic Science!

(Interdisciplinary, emphasis in social sciences & natural sciences)

Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Criminal Justice
Minor: Addiction Studies

career changer!

undergrad - Biology
Grad - MS, Physical Therapy
PhD. - Administration (current)

Major: Biochemical Engineering :cool:
Minor: Biology and Spanish

I have noticed a wide range of majors and I am kind of curious... Does undergraduate major have any effect on your application? The reason I ask is because I have spoken with Mizzou (MD school) and they told me that undergrad major is compleatly irrelivent. All they look at is the GPA and MCAT numbers. Are DO schools different?

BA, Anthropology, with a focus in physical anthropology, 1999

BS, Biology, concentration in physiology, minor in chemistry, 2003

yesssss, 8 years in college with only undergrad degrees. i am very satisfied that i got to take so many fundamental classes, because i think there's only a couple of first year med school classes i haven't already taken.

Molecular & Microbiology
Minor in chem.
How original, huh!

Letters, Arts, & Sciences, liberal studies option.

Two doctor friends of mine locally earned BA in Spanish.

Major: Biology
Minor: Spanish and Chemistry

Just a year and a half to go with undergrad! I'm getting there.....

Okay,

I have the real winner for career changers...

I have my B.S. in Aviation Technical Sciences: Aviation Management Option... which effectively means that I am a pilot before I become a doctor, oh and that I am able to theoretically manage an aviation facility be it FBO, airport, or other Av related business..

So that takes the cake right???

DrDad(and my family's personal pilot....LOL)