This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devontrann

Reaction score
I'm currently a student in high school and as the fall season comes up I'm currently deciding on what major to choose as I plan to take the pre-dental route once in college. I'm currently stuck between human biology and public health as many students choose biology, but I believe that choosing public health may make me stand out as an applicant. Do y'all have any suggestions or tips on what I should major in?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a student in high school and as the fall season comes up I'm currently deciding on what major to choose as I plan to take the pre-dental route once in college. I'm currently stuck between human biology and public health as many students choose biology, but I believe that choosing public health may make me stand out as an applicant. Do y'all have any suggestions or tips on what I should major in?
major in what you are passionate about and can get good grades in...

Your major doesn't matter and won't help you stand out. Pick whatever you will do well in, and make sure you're able to take all the pre-reqs needed for dental school that may not be required for your major.

That being said, you might have a bit of an easier time in dental school if you pick a science major and take a lot of the hard, upper divs required for it, since you'll have seen the material once before, versus seeing everything for the first time in dental school as you balance a billion classes and work on your hand skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
major in what you are passionate about
I say major in something that will actually help you land a good job should dentistry not work out or your ambitions change. Way too many people major in something that really should be a “hobby” and leave college with no marketable job skills. Many enter college and come out the other end dumber than when they went in. But hey, they had the “college experience.”

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
I say major in something that will actually help you land a good job should dentistry not work out or your ambitions change. Way too many people major in something that really should be a “hobby” and leave college with no marketable job skills. Many enter college and come out the other end dumber than when they went in. But hey, they had the “college experience.”

Big Hoss
What was your undergrad major?

What was your undergrad major?
Biology, because I was the traditional “pre-med.” I didn’t have a Big Hoss keeping it real and giving me solid advice back then. If I could go back, I would have majored in electrical engineering. That would open many more doors than a biology degree. Trust me. What does one do with an undergrad biology degree if they didn’t go on to professional school? Work in a lab making crap pay? Been there, done that.

Big Hoss

Biology, because I was the traditional “pre-med.” I didn’t have a Big Hoss keeping it real and giving me solid advice back then. If I could go back, I would have majored in electrical engineering. That would open many more doors than a biology degree. Trust me. What does one do with an undergrad biology degree if they didn’t go on to professional school? Work in a lab making crap pay? Been there, done that.

Big Hoss
Aaah! Would young Big Hoss have listened to an older Big Hoss?

Aaah! Would young Big Hoss have listened to an older Big Hoss?
If the Big Hoss of today could go back to yesteryear's Big Hoss, he would tell him to buy a crap ton of this nonsensical thing called Bitcoin. The Big Hoss of today would then have a stable full of exotic cars. He might even have a helicopter.

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user