What MCAT score and should I retake a few classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed sophomore and I plan on taking the MCAT next year. My current GPA including sGPA is 3.891. I went to a community college for two years before I moved and was not premed but my GPA there is significantly lower ~3.0. Is it worth retaking a few prerec classes (psych etc) online to boost my GPA from the CC? Also adding the CC GPA with my GPA when I apply to med schools (hopefully around the same as it is now) it would average out to ~3.5 or so. White, female not URM.

So really two questions I have. Should I retake a few classes and try to raise my CC GPA and what MCAT score should I shoot for?

(Also I should add that I am doing paid biomedical cancer research this summer and it might extend through the fall)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking more classes won't replace your grades from CC but even so having a 3.5 is not a death knell by any means (especially since it seems you've done well since).

As far as what to shoot for...Do your best and take it when you feel prepared? If you get a 510 and have patient experience and shadowing and community service you're in a good place for many schools I'd guess. Look at the matriculation chart stickied on the WAMC thread to see your % chances historically.

I wouldnt be taking additional courses I would retake the ones that I did bad in (I got a D in psychology)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt be taking additional courses I would retake the ones that I did bad in (I got a D in psychology)
Right. Both grades will be listed on your transcripts. It will be nice that you did better the second time but it won't replace the old one (it used to for certain programs)

Right. Both grades will be listed on your transcripts. It will be nice that you did better the second time but it won't replace the old one (it used to for certain programs)
ohhhh I understand now. do you think that retaking it would still help improve my overall gpa? or not worth it at all?

If you take them at the 4 year and do well you could certainly spin it as indicating your growth/change of attitude from your CC days. And it certainly would improve your GPA (assuming, again, that you do well in them)!

Now that im a premed I have to do well ;). you're input is greatly appreciated, thank you!!