What schools should I apply to? And what can I work on before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GameOfZones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
Western Michigan
St. Louis
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
USC Keck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it’s of any help, I’m a CA ORM middle class male with a 3.82 and 515. I've gotten into Wake Forest and CA Northstate. Idk if I would recommend CA Northstate, though, considering there is some controversy surrounding it. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Utah (where I did my undergrad) and will interview at CUSM in March. You should also calculate your WARS score from @WedgeDawg 's post and look at the schools it recommends to you.

Thanks for your reply! I’ll take a look at all these schools!

How important should things like match list and residency program director rankings play a role in making my list?
They should matter some but first you have to have multiple acceptances before you reach that point of decision.

Reactions: 1 users
If it’s of any help, I’m a CA ORM middle class male with a 3.82 and 515. I've gotten into Wake Forest and CA Northstate. Idk if I would recommend CA Northstate, though, considering there is some controversy surrounding it. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Utah (where I did my undergrad) and will interview at CUSM in March. You should also calculate your WARS score from @WedgeDawg 's post and look at the schools it recommends to you.

I'd go to Wake Forest if I was you.

Congrats on your acceptances! Yeah I’ve also been told that Northstate isn’t doing too hot atm.

I did my WARS a few days ago and, being conservative, I got I think a 75. So I’ll look into those schools too
Cool! With that WARS score as a CA applicant, I'd recommend:
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
Kaiser
UC-Irvine
UCD
USC
CUSM
Emory
Case
Michigan (If you get that paper published - they are research-heavy)
Pitt
Dartmouth
Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Rochester
SLU
Cincy
Miami
Jefferson
Tufts
Iowa
Vermont
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
Hi folks, longtime lurker. I am in the process of making my school lists with MSAR, and to be quite honest, I'm lost. I know I should definitely apply to all my state schools, and to apply to a healthy amount of safety schools, but I'm not sure how to narrow down the many schools that are in MSAR. I would love to get some help with creating my school list, as well as anything that I can improve upon before applying in 2020. I'll describe myself below:

CA ORM Male of middle class SES, graduated in Spring 2019 from a UC school in Southern California.

Stats:
-cGPA and sGPA are both 3.8
-MCAT: 514, 517 (yes I know that many here would have frowned upon retaking that 514. I retook it partly because my score was set to expire if I did not get in this cycle, and partly because I wanted to improve my 125 CARS score, which I was successful in doing and improved it to a 127. Again, I know many of the adcoms that are on here would disapprove of an applicant retaking a 514 and only marginally improving, but it is what it is at this point)

Clinical:
-will have ~ 700 hours of employment as a scribe by the time I apply (I really enjoy scribing a lot and have learned and seen a lot that I can talk about in essays/interviews, but I don't have a great deal of direct patient interaction)
-will have ~ 200 hours of volunteering in various departments in my local hospital (mostly just helping nurses with restocking supplies in patient rooms and providing patients/family members with basic things like blankets or water)
-~80-100 hours shadowing in 3 different specialities, one of which is in primary care

Nonclinical:
-110 hours as a TA for an intro biology course at my university
-~100 hours volunteering at a local middle school for low income students, split between tutoring students and helping coach soccer
-~70 hours volunteering with underprivileged members of the community who are looking to apply for jobs or secure citizenship

Research:
-will have ~2000 hours of employment as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab, and I hope to have at least 1 middle author publication in a high profile journal by the time I apply; my work was included in a presentation at a national conference, but I did not attend this conference myself

LORs:
-PI (strong), one of the docs I shadowed (solid), 2 professors (decent), and possibly one of my volunteer coordinators (decent).

Hobbies:
-I play soccer and basketball IM and with friends...and that's about it. My research, scribing, and clinical and nonclinical volunteering are all ongoing, so it's tough to find time to commit to an activity.

Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!
I recommend:
Mayo
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U MI