What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have signed up for the DAT on June 8th. I want to apply for the 2010 cycle and I have quite a few credits to finish up. I'll have a month after spring semester ends before the exam. Should I take summer classes while studying for it? I plan on taking genetics lab, microbio, and an exit course. What would you all do? I'm gonna be loaded with classes until next spring semester.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think you should take classes.

Studying the DAT itself will already be a challenge.
Unless you have to take these courses I guess you dont got a choice

It'll definitely be a lot harder to study for the DAT if you're taking classes, but if you feel right now like you remember most of gchem, ochem, and bio, then you might be able to handle it. The amount of time it takes to study is going to depend on how much you remember. Very little, if anything, should be completely new to you on the test. I still say you're better off not taking summer classes if you're able to do that though.

I have signed up for the DAT on June 8th. I want to apply for the 2010 cycle and I have quite a few credits to finish up. I'll have a month after spring semester ends before the exam. Should I take summer classes while studying for it? I plan on taking genetics lab, microbio, and an exit course. What would you all do? I'm gonna be loaded with classes until next spring semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone in Canada has to study for the Dat while taking classes, in fact they always have the scheduled Dat right around midterms... not that bad if you dont also have a job i would say though.

I have been sending emails twice to all dental school officers to ask if it's ok for me to take a spring semester off, study for DAT, take it around May, and send the application.

They said taking a semester off won't lower my chance.
HOWEVER, they HATE to see applicant who just chills at home. You have to prove that you've been doing volunteering, shadowing, researching, extracuricular activities instead of taking classes. I think doing those take more time than taking full time even though you have to do them eventually.

I think taking classes in spring is the best option so I signed up full time again.

taking the classes during summer while studying for the DAT wouldn't be a good idea if you were just going to begin your studying after spring semester. If you start studying soon, or in a couple of months, and then continue studying while taking the summer classes, you'll probably get a solid score. it's your choice really, just know that if you want to take those summer classes, you'll have to start studying way earlier than you normally would.

you will truly regret taking courses and studying for the DAT at the same tiem. Study for the DAT like you plan on taking it only once. SO, study hard and focus only on the DAT. and you should be just fine. DAT is everyhting, DAT shout be your life. so study for DAT test.

I didn't take any courses the first time I took the DAT and I did better when I was taking 21 credits this last semester. Remember that while taking Bio courses it helps you study for the DAT. Don't overkill your brain and take too many courses, but I would suggest taking at least one.
Good Luck!

If I was you. I would take classes.
I would take some lower division chill bio classes to help you there. Nothing hard, just a class to refresh your memory.
Maybe a biochem class, probably will be upper division, but again it can't be difficult. Throw in some more science and your done.

If you think you can study 6 months straight then you are very wrong. You will burn out in a month or two and then do nothing for months.

well I'm planning on taking microbio over the summer. Is it a hard course? I have taken a lot of bio including cell bio and ecology. I'm taking genetics this semester.

depends how well you manage your time, microbio isn't too bad at all. You should be find taking microbio while studying for the DAT.

I dont know if its completely a bad idea NOT to take classes while youre studying for the DAT. I myself took A&P 2 and finished up the final for the class a week before my DAT and I can say that it definately helped me earn a 20 on the BIO part of the test. I worked hard/was lucky enough to get an A in the course as well so maybe it can be benefitial to you too. I would stick to MAX two classes (sciences) if you do decide to take something.

For me, I am taking histology, sculpture, intro to psychology, and taek-kwon Do. That's 12 credit full time. I am planning to do volunteering and shadowing too.