This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leo Spaceman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I’m kind of struggling with what to do next year (2017-2018 school year).

This upcoming fall, spring and summer I will finish all of my prerequisites, take the MCAT and submit my applications. I already have 100+ hours ER volunteering, 20+ hours shadowing, and 50+ hours volunteering as a literacy tutor. Plus this year I am also working as a research assistant for one of my professors. After this year, however, I don’t know what to do.

My undergrad is in economics so I could probably knock out an MA in economics during my application year. I could also start an MS in biomedical sciences at one of the medical schools I’m applying to. Another possibility is getting an EMT or CNA certification and working full time.

I want to start medical school as fully prepared with as little debt as possible. What would be the most productive way to spend my application year?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody, I’m kind of struggling with what to do next year (2017-2018 school year).

I want to start medical school as fully prepared with as little debt as possible. What would be the most productive way to spend my application year?

Thank you!

Working or doing something that let's you make money

True, but I can't think of anything that will help me boost my med school app/help me prepare for MS1 year while still making money. Besides maybe getting my CNA/EMT cert and working 60 hours/week. And that doesn't sound particularly appealing. Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but I can't think of anything that will help me boost my med school app/help me prepare for MS1 year while still making money. Besides maybe getting my CNA/EMT cert and working 60 hours/week. And that doesn't sound particularly appealing. Any other ideas?
Nothing will help you prep for MS1, esp when you're still 10 steps away from getting accepted anywhere. AdComs don't care if you go out and get a job during your application year. They don't care if it's not in healthcare. They understand that we all have to make money and honestly, having an hourly job where you have flexible hours is smart when you may need time off for travel for interviews at the last minute. If you choose that route, I suggest continuing to volunteer in the ER so you at least keep your toe in the water.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want start with less debt as possible, you should work. Anyways, you'll have to study, it's impossible be "fully prepared"