What to do in Gap Year(s): Masters/SMP or Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed332

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating a year early and am planning on taking two gap years before (hopefully) matriculating into medical school. I am currently deciding between applying to some kind of master's or special masters program (not looking for post-bacc) or working. Ideally, I would be working in clinical research as a clinical research coordinator. However, I am open to other experiences as well! I would love to hear from those who have done a gap year or two and what you did or what you wish you did.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am graduating a year early and am planning on taking two gap years before (hopefully) matriculating into medical school. I am currently deciding between applying to some kind of master's or special masters program (not looking for post-bacc) or working. Ideally, I would be working in clinical research as a clinical research coordinator. However, I am open to other experiences as well! I would love to hear from those who have done a gap year or two and what you did or what you wish you did.
Thanks!

It really depends on your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think under 3.2, maybe SMP (depending on the rest of your app), under 3.0, definitely SMP. That's my opinion though.