What to do/read, summer before beginning Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have any good recommendation on what books to read the summer before starting medical school? (you know, to be prepared, etc.)

Or, any resource book(s) that you've found useful to buy for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't bother trying to get prepared. It will make a miniscule difference if any (probably not) and eat up one of the last free chunks of time left in your life. Do something fun. Travel is a popular option. Learn a language, build a summer reading list, skydive, get married. I would avoid work if possible, but some pick up a job for some extra spending money.

Kick it in the forest; watch truly remarkable movies; party with friends; sleep until noon; smile until you fall asleep. Read a good book on something you are passionate about. Collect insects.

Members don't see this ad :)
^Ya beat me to it.

56c581bc-8973-431b-a97b-0ec7694d1aa5.jpg

Everyone is going to tell you not to bother reading or "pre-studying." If you want to do anything, I recommend getting some anatomy flashcards. That is all.

Actually, one of my schools recommended we do some review before school started (things like acid/base chem, amino acid structures, basics of DNA/RNA/protein processes).

So maybe you will get lucky like that.

Now, whether that review will be useful is really up for debate.

^no way! Where were you every other time I advocated some basic studying and got flamed for it?

Actually, what would be helpful and stress free before M1 would be to organize all your study tools and study space. Examples: buy laptop, organize old files on old laptop, research smartphones/iPad/iPod, research/buy new study apps for notetaking or flashcards, find a solid desk and desk chair, freshly sharpened No 2 pencils, etc.

School supply shopping used to be the highlight of my life! :love: (remember that, in like 3rd grade? Trapper Keeper?! Lisa Frank folders?! AHH!! lol..)

Actually, one of my schools recommended we do some review before school started (things like acid/base chem, amino acid structures, basics of DNA/RNA/protein processes).

So maybe you will get lucky like that.

Now, whether that review will be useful is really up for debate.

Undergrad or med? I don't think it would have helped. Remember there will be people in your class that weren't science majors. The material comes at you fast no doubt but not so fast that those non science majors cannot learn what they need to know.

Now if your idea of a good way to spend one of the last truly responsibility free times in your life is to read your general chemistry textbook, by all means haha.

Actually scratch that. If you've got any sense you would have sold your gen chem book while it was still worth something. If you want you can buy it back now on half.com for pennies.

netflix the **** out of netflix if it comes down to that.

Undergrad or med? I don't think it would have helped. Remember there will be people in your class that weren't science majors. The material comes at you fast no doubt but not so fast that those non science majors cannot learn what they need to know.

Now if your idea of a good way to spend one of the last truly responsibility free times in your life is to read your general chemistry textbook, by all means haha.

Actually scratch that. If you've got any sense you would have sold your gen chem book while it was still worth something. If you want you can buy it back now on half.com for pennies.

It was a med school, and it provided a nice list of topics to go over.

It probably is meant more for non-science majors because many of the topics I covered extensively in my major but weren't covered as much in the prereqs.

Again, I can't really comment whether it would be useful to actually do this review. I'm just passing on what I got.

And your last part was spot-on. I kept all of my science textbooks. Stupid.

netflix the **** out of netflix if it comes down to that.

+1

I plan on watching 8 seasons of 24, all lined up on my instant queue, just waiting for graduation :D:thumbup:

+1

I plan on watching 8 seasons of 24, all lined up on my instant queue, just waiting for graduation :D:thumbup:

$10 says you only make it to season 3 or 4, and then you will puke or worst case scenario your head will explode.

Members don't see this ad :)
$10 says you only make it to season 3 or 4, and then you will puke or worst case scenario your head will explode.

Is it that intense? Maybe Psych or Veronica Mars then?

Is it that intense? Maybe Psych or Veronica Mars then?

no its not that... its just that 24 has the ability to draw you in and make you watch back to back to back, etc..... and 8 seasons back to back is just too much jack bauer for any sane person to handle.

no its not that... its just that 24 has the ability to draw you in and make you watch back to back to back, etc..... and 8 seasons back to back is just too much jack bauer for any sane person to handle.

Ahh, I'll keep that in mind. I hear the phrase "millions of American lives are at stake" is used at least 10 times per episode.

Actually, what would be helpful and stress free before M1 would be to organize all your study tools and study space. Examples: buy laptop, organize old files on old laptop, research smartphones/iPad/iPod, research/buy new study apps for notetaking or flashcards, find a solid desk and desk chair, freshly sharpened No 2 pencils, etc.

School supply shopping used to be the highlight of my life! :love: (remember that, in like 3rd grade? Trapper Keeper?! Lisa Frank folders?! AHH!! lol..)

Just started officially buying supplies yesterday! I LOVE shopping for school supplies. I'm like a little kid in a candy store whenever I go to Office Max (I'm a dork I know).

And I also used to love Lisa Frank. Her world is the world I wanted to live in. With friendly colorful penguins everywhere and unicorns.

Lisa Frank folders?!?!?! LOL I miss those!!! :) I'm a total nerd, I love school supply shopping, can't wait :p!

PS: What I'm doing this summer... continuing to work full-time to pay back credit card bills for all those application expenses!!!!! Oh, and try and have some fun too :), spending time with friends/family, etc.

Lisa Frank folders?!?!?! LOL I miss those!!! :) I'm a total nerd, I love school supply shopping, can't wait :p!

PS: What I'm doing this summer... continuing to work full-time to pay back credit card bills for all those application expenses!!!!! Oh, and try and have some fun too :), spending time with friends/family, etc.

Exactly what I'm doing, too! UGGGHHH. Luckily, amazingly, I somehow got $800 back on my taxes and am at least taking a trip to a beach. Making Work Pay...sure thing.

So, does anyone have any good recommendation on what books to read the summer before starting medical school? (you know, to be prepared, etc.)

Or, any resource book(s) that you've found useful to buy for medical school?

I can certainly appreciate people advising you to relax and enjoy the summer before med school, but it really depends on your personality. If you are a "worrier" or just like to get ahead.... you may need to practice letting go a little.

However, you should realize that you can study and still go out for fun over the summer. If you are a worrier/like to get ahead, you won't enjoy your summer if you aren't doing some reading...

I would recommend reading Linda Costanzo's Physiology (both the BRS version and the long non bullet point version, both can be bought for about $40 each on amazon.com)

One thing that really helped me was keeping a stopwatch and timing my studying, I did it in 40 minute blocks and stayed focused while the clock was on. Over your summer if you choose to study this way, I wouldn't do more than 3 of these 40 to 50 minute blocks... seriously most people can't concentrate much longer. Afterward go out and have fun... that was only about 3 hours total of studying. Don't start with 3 sessions... you may not have enough stamina, try with 1 and work your way up to 2 and then 3.

I am not a med student anymore but went to a top10 med school, did well on usmle step 1,2, and 3 got into ophtho and I'm chief. (I only tell you that so you know this comes from experience; it isn't a theoretical plan from a premed.) I think spreading out my studying is easier and I am rarely worried about academics, because I know I am doing the work. I read every day because ophtho is very academic. Also our boards that are taken our first year out of residency have a 33% fail rate. I average 1hour ~45 minutes a day, every day. I go out ~4 nights a week too.

Medical school will teach you a lot about yourself because there is a lot of pressure and work. People are really different, I used to be a crammer and now I hate that way of studying. Choose what works for you! good luck bro.

Last edited:
I can certainly appreciate people advising you to relax and enjoy the summer before med school, but it really depends on your personality. If you are a "worrier" or just like to get ahead.... you may need to practice letting go a little.

However, you should realize that you can study and still go out for fun over the summer. If you are a worrier/like to get ahead, you won't enjoy your summer if you aren't doing some reading...

I would recommend reading Linda Costanzo's Physiology (both the BRS version and the long non bullet point version, both can be bought for about $40 each on amazon.com)

One thing that really helped me was keeping a stopwatch and timing my studying, I did it in 40 minute blocks and stayed focused while the clock was on. Over your summer if you choose to study this way, I wouldn't do more than 3 of these 40 to 50 minute blocks... seriously most people can't concentrate much longer. Afterward go out and have fun... that was only about 3 hours total of studying. Don't start with 3 sessions... you may not have enough stamina, try with 1 and work your way up to 2 and then 3.

I am not a med student anymore but went to a top10 med school, did well on usmle step 1,2, and 3 got into ophtho and I'm chief. (I only tell you that so that you know this comes from experience and has worked well; it isn't a theoretical plan from a premed.) I think spreading out my studying is easier and I am rarely worried about academics, because I know I am doing the work. I read every day because ophtho is very academic and requires lots of academics. Also our boards that are taken our first year out of residency have a 33% fail rate.

I average 1hour ~45 minutes a day, every day. I go out ~4 nights a week too. good luck bro.

Nice to hear people encourage some studying over the summer. I feel like if I stop studying completely for the entire summer it might take me longer to jump back into it once school starts.

I've been out of school for almost 2 years now (just been working full-time in a research lab since graduating college)... it was really weird adjusting to not being in school... now it's going to be weird adjusting back :laugh:. Maybe I should crack open a book?

Exactly what I'm doing, too! UGGGHHH. Luckily, amazingly, I somehow got $800 back on my taxes and am at least taking a trip to a beach. Making Work Pay...sure thing.

I've contemplated getting a second job (in addition to the 40+ hours/week I work now) to get everything paid off (med schools have been saying you can't use federal loans to pay off credit card bills!!! :eek:)... but I don't want to burn myself out just before med school!!!

I've contemplated getting a second job (in addition to the 40+ hours/week I work now) to get everything paid off (med schools have been saying you can't use federal loans to pay off credit card bills!!! :eek:)... but I don't want to burn myself out just before med school!!!

Hmm I think you should be able to save money out of your living expenses money to pay those things. You just can't get more money because of the cc bills, just the same as you can't ask for more money to pay a car loan. There is a thread in Allo about this if I remember correctly.

PS we are like twins! I have also been working full-time in a research lab two years post-grad. Definitely ready for (full-time) school.

Hmm I think you should be able to save money out of your living expenses money to pay those things. You just can't get more money because of the cc bills, just the same as you can't ask for more money to pay a car loan. There is a thread in Allo about this if I remember correctly.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I'm trying to pay off as much as I can before school. I had to apply to a lot of schools and I'm paying for everything on my own.

PS we are like twins! I have also been working full-time in a research lab two years post-grad. Definitely ready for (full-time) school.

Me too!! I miss school!!! :p

I just caught this guy talking about his new book on Colbert.

http://www.amazon.com/Moonwalking-Einstein-Science-Remembering-Everything/dp/159420229X

He spent a year practicing memory techniques and ended up being able to memorize a deck of cards in a minute thirty or something. I think i'm going to check out his book, and if I believe his story I think it could be useful to practice some of the techniques for when it comes to memorizing anatomy or whatever. Either way, looks like it will be a good read.

There has been threads here about using visualizations and stuff for memorizing, so it looks like it could be legit.

And thanks plasticbuddy for the advice. I highly doubt anyone would burn out if they took 45 mins or so out of their day to do something constructive rather than stare at the ol' facebook feed waiting for someone to comment on what they had for lunch.

I just caught this guy talking about his new book on Colbert.

http://www.amazon.com/Moonwalking-Einstein-Science-Remembering-Everything/dp/159420229X

He spent a year practicing memory techniques and ended up being able to memorize a deck of cards in a minute thirty or something. I think i'm going to check out his book, and if I believe his story I think it could be useful to practice some of the techniques for when it comes to memorizing anatomy or whatever. Either way, looks like it will be a good read.

There has been threads here about using visualizations and stuff for memorizing, so it looks like it could be legit.

I checked out the interview. Super cool stuff, thanks for mentioning it:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/376566/march-07-2011/joshua-foer

I agree that would be an awesome technique/skill to have for anatomy lab!

Burn all ties to any extra curricular you did to get into med school and go relax it up.

If reading is relaxing for you go read The House of God by Samuel Shem. The book will inspire you to relax even more, trust me.

Woah, this is the first time checking back on my own thread I had neglected.

Good stuffs. I am currently reading The House of God/Final Exam and looking for anatomy book/memorizing strategies since I really suck at memorizing :(

I feel keeping myself intellectually stimulated is much more fun than watching paint grow and grass dry! :scared:

man, I have 1 month between finishing my rotations and starting med school in August. There's is no way I'm studying anything. I'm visiting my brother in SC, volunteering for a Miracle League, going to one of my best friend's wedding in Philly, and probably celebrating 4th of July somewhere ridiculous. Oh, and taking the OT board, but whatevs. Who studies for that.

I'll be buying a house, getting married, and going on a honeymoon!

Woah, this is the first time checking back on my own thread I had neglected.

Good stuffs. I am currently reading The House of God/Final Exam and looking for anatomy book/memorizing strategies since I really suck at memorizing :(

I feel keeping myself intellectually stimulated is much more fun than watching paint grow and grass dry! :scared:

i've been reading about a leisure book a week since graduating. i may or may not have recently finished My Booky Wook :oops::thumbup:

FBGM.

Seriously though, do something you'll never be able to do in the next 20+ years because of all your responsibilities. Himalayan health exchange has some great medical mission trips if you're into that kinda thing..

just read the SDN forums. I'm sure there is some good archived info from 2001-2004 you haven't read yet.

anything atul gawande related. that guy is the man.

Keep in mind, all of this advice is also not to be taken as an excuse to turn into a neurotic medical student a year before you'll turn into a neurotic medical student. All of the studying options involve you, your family, and evening television. These are things you should do whilst sitting on a couch watching football, or iron chef, or Spongebob if your kids are watching it. These studying concepts are about familiarity, not mastery.

First, there is Biochemistry. I hadn't taken it because it wasn't a pre-req and I'm was a Secondary Education major and former high school teacher. If you have not taken Biochem (one said they had) I would see about grabbing the required Medical Biochem text your school uses and start reading. You're going to be expected to discuss pathways and lectures will start with pathways on day one as though you already have familiarity. Build some familiarity. You don't want your first time pronouncing Phosphofructokinase-1 to be in your first lecture. I wish I had. I bought Lippencott's Review and it was pointless because it was a review text that assumed you already knew. Don't buy any review texts (you will eventually) buy actual text books.

Second, and I am at a loss for how to do this, but it would behoove you to learn about the various research techniques. I so bombed this and am still fuzzy on this, but my roommate, who did research for eight years, got every question correct on that block exam that covered that section.

Third, Seriously begin paying attention to nutrition, which you should anyway. My roommate is drowning in all these B Vitamins, fat solueble, water soluble, Omega Fatty acid, stuff. Familiarity with nutrition will pay off later.

Fourth. If you don't have any clinical experience, get some in a fashion other than shadowing. Take a CNA or an EMT-B class to get some basic medical knowledge and if you're lucky you'll get to see sick people. Regardless of if you are unable to obtain employment, those classes will be simplistic enough but also informative enough to start getting your feet wet. I already knew what a person with Jaundice looks like and I knew what Ascites was because I spent time working in an ER. It helps to have awareness.

Sixth. Start learning about health care issues and the system we will practice in. Health Reform is here to stay in some form or another. It'd behoove you to understand the differences between insurers, payors, providers, and patients. Those are basic fundamentals. In so doing, becoming aware of health issues now will just make it easier to transition in when you really need to know it. Think magazing articles, newspaper articles, etc. There is so much free knowledge out there that you can obtain in 10 minutes on Huffingtonpost, and Drudge by linking around.

Seventh - Anatomy. Find out what the required anatomy text will be and buy it. You might as well buy a Netter's Anatomy Atlas as well. Don't bother reading the text, just become familiar with all of the different pictures and disease states and the various clincial applications throughout the text. again, awareness is the goal here. You don't need to memorize anything, but seeing what sickness looks like so that your first time seeing what ascites in a belly looks like while on your couch relaxing and knowing you got in is a whole lot better than feeling like you just walked into a lecture in Japanese.

Netters is beautiful. The drawings are amazing. Find out what the path of Anatomy is at your school and start at the beginning. Look at the diagrams and become familiar with the relationships and the naming conventions. It wouldn't hurt at all to see how the muscles of the legs and arms attach and what they move. It isn't in a memorize a chart way, but in a look at the picture and see what it might do way. Seeing the complexity in the human body in a nonstressful way can allow you to appreciate it for a bit before you don't have time to appreciate it and you smell like formaldehyde.

This isn't a laundry list. It should not be taken as any form of a syllabus. It's me fishing my experiences from the trash and recylcing them for more than they are worth in hopes that it may help. If you have to triage the list, the biochem will be worth it's weight in gold. I spent more group sessions glossy eyed while my biochemist peers ran circles around the assignments.

Enjoy, flame, or whatever. I care not.

And lastly, and this one everyone should do who goes to a DO school..read The D.O.'s. Being aware of how not friendly the MD world is will keep things in perspective and allow you to understand what is going on when they look down at you. They will.

I planning on traveling to China with family and doing that whole tourism thing.

Hopefully there won't be another cultural revolution or the thing in Iran a few decades ago while I'm there, that would suck!!

ps. I'm necro-bumping this thread and I don't care! Class of 2017 baby! :cool:

Finally finding a resourceful, friendly forum pro-people-being productive-and-not-shelling out-3-months-of-their-life-to-boredom!

Thank you!! :laugh:

The last summer of freedom you'll have for the next 7(FP) to 12 (NeuSu, some surgical fellowships) years of your life.

And you want to spend it on reading Biochemistry.

:whoa:

The only thing that could be at possible on target for what you will actually learn is anatomy. So, if you are dead set on pre-studying, I'd buy some Netter's flash cards and memorize the anatomy of the arm or something.

My version of pre studying anatomy will be to buy the coloring book

Read Atul Gawande's books: Better and Complications