What to expect when reporting at first duty station

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt0711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going to BOLC in June and reporting to my first duty station on August 1. I'm very excited to get there and I'm curious about what to expect for my first few days on the job. Do we typically start working right away or do we have time to move in, apt hunt, etc for a week or so? Air Force people have told me we do have this time, but I'm sure it works differently between branches and possibly bases. I already found a house to lease, but I'm mostly trying to figure out when/how the movers will deliver my stuff if I have to be at work all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much everyone will give you a day to receive your household goods. The Navy authorizes up to 10 days (Saturday through the Monday of a 3-day weekend) of house-hunting permissive TAD.

Reactions: 1 user
I am reporting to my first duty station this summer and was told that house hunting leave does not apply to your first duty station move, only PCSs from duty station to duty station...may depend on command.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reporting to my first duty station this summer and was told that house hunting leave does not apply to your first duty station move, only PCSs from duty station to duty station...may depend on command.

Technically that's correct. I've seen it happen anyways.

Either way, you'll get a day somehow to receive your HHG shipment.

So do most of the moving companies not deliver on the weekends?

My orders just give the date to report to my new duty station but no specific time. How will I find out a) what time specifically, and b) what to location on the big base to report to? It looks like there are multiple dental clinics at my base and I don't know which one I'll be in. I'm assuming reporting earlier in the morning is better but can anyone give more insight?

My orders just give the date to report to my new duty station but no specific time. How will I find out a) what time specifically, and b) what to location on the big base to report to? It looks like there are multiple dental clinics at my base and I don't know which one I'll be in. I'm assuming reporting earlier in the morning is better but can anyone give more insight?

You just have to report any time that day. I would recommend getting there around 7am, just to start off on the right foot, but there is NOT a specific time.

You go to the headquarters. You should have been assigned a sponsor, if you weren't, let me know and I will gladly inquire for you. Your sponsor should be in contact with you telling you where to go.

What installation are you going to?

I would not worry about this all that much. You will have plenty of time to figure everything out prior to seeing patients. You are new and your chain of command knows you are new to the military and the installation. Even if you have been in for 20+ years you get time to get acclimated.