What to look for in residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvlop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am starting to think about doing my research for residency programs. I was wondering:

1. What should I look for in programs?
2. Where to look for this info?
3. How to organize all this info?

I want to do Ob/Gyn and I would prefer to be in the east coast.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am starting to think about doing my research for residency programs. I was wondering:

1. What should I look for in programs?
2. Where to look for this info?
3. How to organize all this info?

I want to do Ob/Gyn and I would prefer to be in the east coast.

Just an M3, but my previous attending gave us some advice that is probably relevant for you. Unless you're looking to go into academics, don't worry about prestige. Check out programs to see what kinds of surgeries you'll get experience with and how many surgeries you'll get to do. Here's a site with stats for each program in the country so you have an idea of how many of each type of surgery goes through the location in a given year:

https://www.apgo.org/student/residency.html

I think that if you ask this question in obgyn forum you might receive more specialty specific information

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my friend, no caribbean IMG...

I think 0 Caribbean grads is a bit of a stretch. Obviously you want a program that is attracting high caliber students. However, there could theoretically be high caliber Caribbean students. So if a program has the vast majority of students from US medical schools including upper tier schools and has a Caribbean grad tossed in, I would not write that program off.

Happy people that you could work with/for.

Reactions: 3 users