What would these average out to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about a retaken course.

D+ and a B- would average out to a... I would assume C?
And what about a C- with a B+ ?

Just curious as to what those would average out to. thanks

Was told to post in a public forum. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Without a percentage C+/B- is the closest you'll get.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just did it this way

You've got: B+/ B /B- /C+ /C /C-

So the middle there would be a B-/C+

Wait so both are calculated into GPA? I thought they’re averaged? Or id it the same thing?

Both are factored into your GPA, which has the net result of averaging them.

Oh... naturally. I thought both would be averaged and put in as a C... but I guess affect wise it’s the same but for some reason when I calculate... it doesn’t add up right!!

This is a common misperception among applicants: AMCAS does not in any way, shape, or form somehow “average” retakes of a class with original courses. All courses from all sources, retakes or not, are simply put into an overall GPA calculation.

On a sidenote, in my view getting a D+ in a course and then not getting an A/A- in the retake even though you have now seen the material twices averages to serious question in the eyes of an adcom

So am I DOA at certain MD schools? I also got a W and went to a C in a separate course. Should I look into other professions or other careers? Maybe I’m not cut out for this lol...

How would you view this applicant? How would you look st someone like this? Not a good question huh?

I think that making an arm chair decision based on 3 isolated grades, out of context of the rest of your application, for what you should do for the rest of your life would be rash.

Yeah I suppose so. Everything else is mainly good. I've got volunteering, research, and have done well in other upper division science courses/am doing well in them now too...

AMCAS assigns a points value to each grade: A = 4, B= 3, etc... Then it multiplies that point value and the number of credits for that course. so a B in a 1 credit lab is worth 3 grade points and an A in a 3 credit course is worth 12 grade points. Then all those grade points are summed and the number of credits is summed and the number of grade points is divided by the number of credits earned. that is your Grade Point Average or GPA.

All your courses are counted. It doesn't matter if you retake a course or if you take another course for the same number of credits, the poor grade and all the rest will be averaged to determine your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user