What would you do if you had a choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonovox

Coexist, or else...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The situation I am in right now is this: I have interviewed at multiple DO schools, and have been getting acceptances. I really enjoyed my interviews at these DO schools, liked the sites and the faculty, as well as many of you folks I've met on the interview trails. :)

However, I also applied to a handful of MD schools, knowing full well it would be unrealistic to even get an interview at these low tier programs because my stats aren't that great. Lo and behold, I went on two interviews, and the other day received an acceptance to one of them.

In terms of reputation, etc, the program is on the low end of the scale for allopathic schools. The location also isn't terribly appealing. But, it IS an MD school.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting to have a choice in whether I attended an osteopathic or an allopathic school. Any help would be appreciated since I need to reach a decision soon. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of reputation, etc, the program is on the low end of the scale for allopathic schools. The location also isn't terribly appealing. But, it IS an MD school.

Well when you put it that way it's probably best if you just go to the MD school, especially if one of the DO schools you're considering is AZCOM. :rolleyes:

Although some would disagree and it is arguable, I tend to look at medical school primarily as a vehicle to residency. Pick the school that you think offers you the best preparation for residency and that will help you match into the very best residency that you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with EE, the fact that you are even bringing this up means that you have a bias toward the MD schools. You obviously just applied to DO school so you could get in somewhere, you don't want to be a DO, so don't be one.

In a perfect world if I got exactly what I wanted regardless of stats I would want to be a DO

In a perfect world if you got exactly what you wanted regardless of stats you would want to be an MD

so go be one, you will always have a DO chip on your shoulder if you don't.

I agree with EE as well. But I think for most fields out there, an MD gives you a better chance of matching.

Right now I'm thinking Internal Medicine, maybe do a fellowship into something I don't know yet. I haven't had any experience in the other fields, so that may obviously change.

IF I were the top student at a good DO school, vs. a middle of the road student at an unranked allopathic, from which would I come out with the best preparation (based on things like clinical training sites) and best chances of matching into the residency of my choice?

I simply do not know how competitve osteopaths are when it comes to allopathic residency programs, which is why I ask. I dont doubt I'd be happier at one of the osteo schools over this MD one, but I need to think about my future as well as which school affords me the best clinical training.

I probably would have been unsure if I had gotten into a philly MD school. I liked Drexel, and Jefferson would be a no-brainer but Temple vs PCOM would have been a difficult decision probably favoring PCOM. In the end, choose which school you will be most comfortable attending. If you choose a DO school, you had damned sure better be confident in the degree or else you will regret it for your entire career. To me, the DO designation became a secondary consideration, however I also never gained entrance into an MD program.

The DO stigma is largely a relic of past generations. Within fifty years, the DO profession will either 1. be synonymous in all circles with MD or 2. be assimilated into allopathic medicine, imo.

I agree with EE as well. But I think for most fields out there, an MD gives you a better chance of matching.

Right now I'm thinking Internal Medicine, maybe do a fellowship into something I don't know yet. I haven't had any experience in the other fields, so that may obviously change.

IF I were the top student at a good DO school, vs. a middle of the road student at an unranked allopathic, from which would I come out with the best preparation (based on things like clinical training sites) and best chances of matching into the residency of my choice?

hmm I know that PCOM has a higher specialty match rate than MOST allopathic institutions... Same with other DO schools in metropolitan centers (NYCOM, CCOM, etc..)

hmm I know that PCOM has a higher specialty match rate than MOST allopathic institutions... Same with other DO schools in metropolitan centers (NYCOM, CCOM, etc..)

Yeah, KCUMB has a very high specialty match rate and also it has a very high first choice match rate.

Thanks! Obviously I need to take a look at the match lists of these programs.

:thumbup:

bonovox: The fact that you say that it IS an MD school to me implies you believe MD schools to turn out better doctors. You seem to identify more with an allopathic philosophy so I believe you are better suited at an allopathic school.

Osteopathic medical schools will stress osteopathic principles (that extend far beyond OMM) in your education. If you are not convinced of or endorse these principles yourself you will find yourself wanting at a COM. Perhaps the allopathic medical school will tailor their education more to your expectations which will ultimately help you perform better at that school to secure yourself a residency of your choice.

Also consider the following: Osteopathic medical schools stress primary care (Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and at times now OB/GYN and Geriatrics) , if you are considering a specialty outside of primary care you are more likely to get what you want in that allopathic school.

Just some things to consider. And, of course, all of this is IMO.

If I went to all my MD and DO interviews in one week, and the DO schools didn't ask questions about anything osteopathic, and I was not told which school was which, I would not be able to tell which schools were the DO schools, and which were the MD schools.

Go to the school you will be HAPPIER at regardless of reputation.. if you are not happy, your grades will suffer. and your future will too. keep this in mind. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In a perfect world if I got exactly what I wanted regardless of stats I would want to be a DO

In a perfect world if you got exactly what you wanted regardless of stats you would want to be an MD

amen. that is exactly how i feel. i dont even think i'm going to apply to an MD program even though I would be competitive for most :)

A DO chip on your shoulder might be a good thing for some people though. It could be motivating.

My advice:

JUST D.O. IT - Nike

I know one D.O. I met had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. It could be because he was a Korean war vet with 47 years of D.O. experience and felt like he's had to fight the stigma his whole life. But it was people like him that allowed the profession to gain the status it has today and I'd be glad to carry on and be associated with physicians like him.

The guy has over 7,000 posts and has been on here for 4 years...

don't you all think maybe he is jerking your chain...

i just want to say...that i am doing DO school because i want to learn OMM and i think i might choose a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, then do a fellowship in Sports Medicine. This is WHY i would pick DO over MD any day.
-matt

In terms of reputation, etc, the program is on the low end of the scale for allopathic schools. The location also isn't terribly appealing. But, it IS an MD school.QUOTE]

yes, its "an MD school".... I don't know what you meant by this, but for a person whos been here as long as you have, you should know this type of statement is sort of demeaning to the DO profession

you should be more concerned with things (like some folks have mentioned)
-residency availabilities,
-location of the school,
-heres is a new one, TUITION !!!
-3rd & 4th year rotation cites

the last thing that should be on your mind is the "MD vs DO" stigma

I agree with sexyman. This guy's a chronic malingerer.

Status
Not open for further replies.