What would you want to hear from current students on interview day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotASerialKiller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be speaking with inerviewees both before and after their interviews (Canadian cycle is much later), and I'm curious as to what you guys think they'd most like to know. A year ago I was a bundle of nerves and didn't want to do anything but focus on the interview, but I'm sure others might welcome the distraction or genuinely want to seize the opportunity of talking to a current student.

So you're about to interview (or just interviewed), and a ridiculously attractive Med-1 comes and sits at your table. What do you want them to tell you about their first ~8 months of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If there was a really attractive med student of the opposite sex, I wouldn't want to talk about school at all :p

In any case, I would appreciate just an honest opinion about the school - what you like, what you don't like, etc. I think the biggest disservice someone can do is give you a totally wrong impression of a school and you end up going there and hating it. I'd much sooner just have the truth up front, uncensored and non-propagandized.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If there was a really attractive med student of the opposite sex, I wouldn't want to talk about school at all
images

Reactions: 3 users
One of the most important things you can tell interviewees is why you chose that school.
I've found that the students all basically say, "I came here because the students all seemed happy," which tells me nothing. Especially when the students don't seem particularly happy to me.

Personally, I would want the students to tell me:
-their daily schedule
-what specific opportunities they're involved in at the med school

Reactions: 1 users
I'd want an honest answer to what you don't like about the school. That can be that the food sucks in the cafe, half the professors are crap, the school has poor support for its students, the area is dangerous, etc. No school is perfect, and we all know it, so don't pretend like it is.

What you might view as a negative, I might not care about. But I might, and I'd want to know about it before I got there and committed myself to four years and a ****ton of money.

Edit: by all this, I mean things that may not be readily apparent unless you're attending.

I'd want an honest answer to what you don't like about the school. That can be that the food sucks in the cafe, half the professors are crap, the school has poor support for its students, the area is dangerous, etc. No school is perfect, and we all know it, so don't pretend like it is.

Amen, but if you're a student are you really going to risk drawing the ire of the faculty?

Amen, but if you're a student are you really going to risk drawing the ire of the faculty?

There are ways of listing negatives without trashing the school. I do it for the Navy all the time. Unless a place is so horrendous that you're fearing for your life daily, there is always a way to make the negatives sound subjective.

I appreciated when students told me about their day-to-day schedule (It helped me to picture myself there) and when they would tell me funny stories about their experiences, as well as some frustrations they may have had with their workload/school/etc and how they resolved that. It made them seem more human to me, as well as helped to lighten my own mood before my interviews.