What's it like getting dual degree PhD/DVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cypress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the experience of getting both PhD and DVM simultaneously is like. Anyone out there already done this? Currently doing this? How do you fit stuff in? How long does it take to get them both? Why did you chose to take this route?

What kind of PhD's are you getting? What schools are you going to?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience on this matter, but I can give you an idea about the dual program here at CSU because I have a friend in it now and I work with two people who are in it now.
It is typically seven years (or atleast that is what they try to make it). If your research for the PhD doesn't go well or if you have trouble publishing/ writing a research article for publication it can be longer though. You start off doing research, so you find a lab that you are interested in that can take you on. This is also I believe what determines which PhD program you enter. The gals I work with are all getting theirs in molecular biology. The program looks like this:

Year 1: Graduate courses, laboratory rotations to choose a laboratory, begin dissertation research
Year 2: DVM program Year 1 & graduate electives
Year 3: DVM program Year 2 & graduate electives
Years 4 & 5: Dissertation research, thesis preparation and defense
Year 6 & 7: Final two years of DVM program

I don't know how this differs from other schools. The major benefits with it though are that you can theoretically get your PhD faster than the regular route (but as I said before this isn't always true). You also get a stipend ( I believe) for your vet school years, and get paid during your research years so it is often not as hard on you financially.

There is a guy doing his DVM/PHD at Ok-State right now. He completed 2 years of vet school, did research/classes all summer and is doing a PhD year right now. He will continue with vet school next year when he joins my class (I'm a second year) and graduate vet school with us. I think he will be done with his PhD then, too but I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a guy doing his DVM/PHD at Ok-State right now. He completed 2 years of vet school, did research/classes all summer and is doing a PhD year right now. He will continue with vet school next year when he joins my class (I'm a second year) and graduate vet school with us. I think he will be done with his PhD then, too but I am not sure.

I'm pretty sure he has at least one PhD year remaining after graduating with us.

Holy crud how does anybody do vet school and a PHD at the same time? Where do they find the time? I guess some people don't sleep, lol.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience on this matter, but I can give you an idea about the dual program here at CSU because I have a friend in it now and I work with two people who are in it now.
It is typically seven years (or atleast that is what they try to make it). If your research for the PhD doesn't go well or if you have trouble publishing/ writing a research article for publication it can be longer though. You start off doing research, so you find a lab that you are interested in that can take you on. This is also I believe what determines which PhD program you enter. The gals I work with are all getting theirs in molecular biology. The program looks like this:

Year 1: Graduate courses, laboratory rotations to choose a laboratory, begin dissertation research
Year 2: DVM program Year 1 & graduate electives
Year 3: DVM program Year 2 & graduate electives
Years 4 & 5: Dissertation research, thesis preparation and defense
Year 6 & 7: Final two years of DVM program

I don't know how this differs from other schools. The major benefits with it though are that you can theoretically get your PhD faster than the regular route (but as I said before this isn't always true). You also get a stipend ( I believe) for your vet school years, and get paid during your research years so it is often not as hard on you financially.

Fireflysushi how do your friends in the program like it? I'm interviewing for the program next month.

I applied to PhD/DVM dual-degree programs. The set-up of the program varies from school to school, but it's usually about 7 years total. You can usually find more information on the websites for each school that offers the program. The application process varies greatly depending on the school as well. For the University of Georgia, you have to fill out an additional supplemental application and apply to the graduate program you are interested in. For Cornell, there are additional essays and evaluations needed. On the supplementals for Virginia-Maryland and Mississippi State, you basically just indicate you are interested, but I've been told Mississippi State wants additional essays and an interview later into the application process. I don't know about the other schools.

Fireflysushi how do your friends in the program like it? I'm interviewing for the program next month.

Ooops I didn't see this til now. They are enjoying it. The PhD aspect can be tedious with experiments not working and PI issues. But I think they enjoy combining the two programs. They really enjoy not having to directly pay for vet school. :)
The down sides that they have mentioned are that you have to really enjoy labwork and you have to find a PI that supports you and your goal of getting done in 4 years.

Ooops I didn't see this til now. They are enjoying it. The PhD aspect can be tedious with experiments not working and PI issues. But I think they enjoy combining the two programs. They really enjoy not having to directly pay for vet school. :)
The down sides that they have mentioned are that you have to really enjoy labwork and you have to find a PI that supports you and your goal of getting done in 4 years.

Thanks so much! I'm very excited and nervous for the interview. I really think CSU is my top choice, so hopefully it will go very well. I have been doing lab work and research for the past two years (including one summer fellowship), so I know I'm committed to doing it/enjoy it (of course there are tedious/boring parts, that's just part of being a researcher). Currently freaking out about what to wear for the interview, etc.

I know for Virginia-Maryland it is a 7 year program but a lot of people end up finishing in 8. You do your first 2 years PhD and then the 4 DVM years then your last year in finishing the PhD and defending. I'm pretty sure from my understanding that you also work on the PhD during your summers after year 1 & 2 of vet school. I know a few people in the program and they seem to like it. I've just heard it's hard to be accepted to vet school but have to wait another 2 years before you can start! (completely understandable)