This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadNutellaGirl

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Happy to try and help.

I am a DO family medicine PGY1 resident, and recently the GMEC decided not to re-new my contract. I had one more month of probation left, but decision was made suddenly for some unknown reason. These are the problems I faced

The reason they termed you was likely that your progress was too slow. They can see that you won't be ready for a PGY-2 position in July (or even after a reasonable extension). Plus it sounds like the remediation they were doing was just too extensive, so they decided that it was just untenable to continue.

1) 3 YEAR gap from medical school

This is the first problem. From the rest of your post, it's clear that the gap resulted in some clinical atrophy. I don't mean to pry, but taking such a long break between your DO and residency is a huge red flag for other problems, which might explain some of the problems you're having now.

2) Family medicine was not my first choice. I wanted Psychiatry

Psych has become more competitive

3) Possible un-diagnosed ADHD ( currently being evaluated for it, I mentioned this to my PD when they told me of the contract non-renewal. That it may have played a role of why things went downhill but he did not care. I was hoping for leave of absence and accommodations, even suggesting to do a medical re-entry program and then come back , but I guess nobody gives a damn )
4) Depression and Anxiety ( started counseling for it in Dec)

Getting help for ADHD (if you have it) certainly might help your performance. But this issue commonly is brought up in these types of threads. Not uncommonly, a resident (or student) runs into problems, and then months later when they are at the point of termination state that they have some disability that needs to be accommodated. Unfortunately, even if true, you needed to address that when this all started. Programs aren't required to "give you another chance" because of an untreated problem.

You would likely qualify for an LOA if you have a medical/psych issue that is serious enough.

Medical re-entry programs are usually for people who have finished an entire residency, worked as a physician, and then taken a break and want to come back. It's not for people like yourself who finished medical school and then didn't do a residency. At least not the one's I'm aware of.

Only good thing that happened was that I did above average on In-service exam ( not sure how that happened)
I agree that this is good

From your description, it sounds like you were unprepared for residency (perhaps partially due to your long break), then fell behind, and also had some performance anxiety issues. If you're really far behind it's very difficult to get caught up -- everyone else is improving. Just like running a race, if you want to win and you're in the back you need to run faster than everyone else. Getting caught up isn't easy. From your description, it sounds like that even now, in February, you're not functioning at the level that would be expected of an early PGY-1.

Remediation is always a balance. By definition, it's more work -- so it ends up eating up some elective or other more flexible time. But too much can lead to burnout and failure.

OK, on to your listed options:
1) Apply again to residency - FM/ TRI/ Preventive med/ Psych . Reason for dismissal is "patient safety" , I don't know how many people would take me on with a label like that
I agree it's going to be very difficult. It would be one thing if you had made significant progress and were functioning at an early intern level. Then, your program could say "nutellagirl started off behind but is now really ready to start PGY-1. But we're not able / willing to continue her, she will need to start somewhere else". Instead, it sounds like they tried to help you and your function is still problematic enough that they have decided that it's better to just write you out of the schedule rather than continue. Spinning that to new programs is going to be tough. Psych is competitive, I think you're going to find it difficult to get a spot. If there is any way you can get some psych experience with whatever time you have left at your program, you should explore that.

Prev med is another option. Your goal would be to spin how you did better in the outpatient environment, that way you can stress that the problems you had in your FM residency are unlikely to manifest in a PM residency.

2)Take level 3 boards - get a state medical license ( I don't want to practice on my own with one year, is is possible to work under a BC licensed physician)
You should definitely look into level 3. SOme states have a 7 year maximum from level 1 to 3, and you're going to be close already (assuming you took Lvl 1, then 2 more years of DO, then 3 year gap, and now 1 yr internship). Unfortunately, for Lvl 3 I think you need to have your residency PD certify that you're in training, so I don't know if you'll be able to take it at all.

What can you do with a license? Hard to say. But better to have one than not.

3) Limited permit? Only lasts for 4 years
Not sure what this refers to, each state is different. If you mean a "training license", it's only valid if you're in a residency program so having one won't help.

4) What can I even do with a medical license with no residency?
It's not easy. You could work for an insurance company doing authorizations. One SDN poster is working for a state insurance authority. Theoretically you could work for a pharmaceutical company, but unless you have some other experience that's probably a stretch. "Research".

5) Apply to military residency
No, they won't take you having failed out of another residency, and not unless you have military experience.

6) Always interested in psych - apply for PHD? or get Masters and get to job field sooner ( but lower salary, which honestly kinda sucks)
Sure, but you could also end up in more debt and have the same poor job prospects

6) Medical illustration - hey I'm kinda good at art - maybe become the next Netter? lol
Sure, if you can make it work.

Bottom line is that there's no easy way forward. Your long break and now failing out of a residency program are two big strikes. If you want to continue in a residency, you need to try to get back into training as quickly as possible. If you want to try for psych, one option is to try to spin your FM training as "counting" for the IM component of a psych PGY-1. I don't know if that will work -- but if it does, it would allow you to look for an off cycle psych opening because you wouldn't need a full 12 months. Getting some psych experience now, while you're still employed, would be very helpful. Or, same with Prev Med if your current program has that. If you decide to look for more FM programs, you'd need to focus on those that have mostly outpatient training (if such programs exist). And simultaneously you need to be exploring some of the Plan B's above.

Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
At least they are letting you finish the year. My advice is that you should try to do the SOAP. There are always a ton of PGY1 spots in FM Or IM open

Reactions: 1 user
At least they are letting you finish the year. My advice is that you should try to do the SOAP. There are always a ton of PGY1 spots in FM Or IM open

I agree with this. I would try to SOAP or get one of the FM residencies in less desirable states. I think you CAN make a case that the 3 year gap was a big problem. I think most of us would atrophy 3 years away from medicine.

I am a DO family medicine PGY1 resident, and recently the GMEC decided not to re-new my contract. I had one more month of probation left, but decision was made suddenly for some unknown reason. These are the problems I faced
3) Possible un-diagnosed ADHD ( currently being evaluated for it, I mentioned this to my PD when they told me of the contract non-renewal. That it may have played a role of why things went downhill but he did not care. I was hoping for leave of absence and accommodations, even suggesting to do a medical re-entry program and then come back , but I guess nobody gives a damn )

Only good thing that happened was that I did above average on In-service exam ( not sure how that happened)

The year started off okay but as soon as I started inpatient medicine, I struggled a lot - and realized I I forgotten a lot of medicine. Also keeping up with my peers in the clinical aspect - I was always the slowest one , I continually was pimped and humiliated in front of my peers ( completely destroyed my self esteem and made be go into depression) , I could not properly present cases ( anxiety did not help) - everything came out in a disorganized manner, could not focus on anything . I was put on probation ( which I understand why and knew I deserved it) - My residency adviser's way of fixing this was to put me on months and months of inpatient. She believes I didn't get thrown enough in the fire in med school so she is going to do it to me now. I did 2 months straight of in patient, did a month of EM ( with clinic on my what supposed to be my free days) , and then 2 months again straight of inpatient. 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day....for months. To say I was burnt out would be an understatement. I kept telling her, the biggest issue is my foundation - if I had more time to work on my clinical knowledge , everything else would fall int place. Due to the hardships I fell in severe depression...with also realizing I may have possible ADHD. All I felt I needed was a step away from inpatient to work on these issues....but she just said keep going, and just gotta do both. I understand I was responsible to get myself out of this mess, but I was hoping that my residency would be more supportive and if someone is saying I'M BURNOUT and this isn't working , they would try to work together on how to resolve these issues.

Anyways, that is the background story since ya'll would wanna know what happened. I wanna put put this in the past - what are my options with only one year internship? Is any residency ever going to give me a chance? I am searching around and I'm still not sure which way to go

1) Apply again to residency - FM/ TRI/ Preventive med/ Psych . Reason for dismissal is "patient safety" , I don't know how many people would take me on with a label like that
2)Take level 3 boards - get a state medical license ( I don't want to practice on my own with one year, is is possible to work under a BC licensed physician)
6) Always interested in psych - apply for PHD? or get Masters and get to job field sooner ( but lower salary, which honestly kinda sucks)
6) Medical illustration - hey I'm kinda good at art - maybe become the next Netter? lol

I would not worry so much about step 3 and the 7 year limit. I went over the 7 year limit, asked for a waiver, it was granted.

From some of the terms you use though, it seems like you are a bit out of the loop - like instead of calling it step 3, you call it level 3 boards. Not trying to pile on, just saying.

I think if I were you, I would try to re-enter FM, say look I had a long gap between med school and residency (whyd id you have a gap btw), and that created problems. You have completed not quite a year. I would try to finish the year, and perhaps re-start if a program allows you as a PGY-1. You'll have more of a foundation, and it will likely be more feasible for you to do better.

I do think that's the best chance. Or like I have said a number of times go into occupational/preventive med. Much less clinical and less competitive.

From some of the terms you use though, it seems like you are a bit out of the loop - like instead of calling it step 3, you call it level 3 boards. Not trying to pile on, just saying.
COMLEX calls their tests levels.

This is a really tough situation to be in. I think the idea of trying to SOAP this year into FM is a decent plan. Otherwise, I would check with you current PD on whether he/she knows of any programs with an open spot--I think this contract non-renewal and long graduation gap is going to be a rough red flag to shake, and you are going to need your current PD to vouch for you to get your foot in the door. So if SOAP doesn't work out, I'd honestly just ask your PD what paths he/she would support and try for those.

Reactions: 3 users
COMLEX calls their tests levels.

This is a really tough situation to be in. I think the idea of trying to SOAP this year into FM is a decent plan. Otherwise, I would check with you current PD on whether he/she knows of any programs with an open spot--I think this contract non-renewal and long graduation gap is going to be a rough red flag to shake, and you are going to need your current PD to vouch for you to get your foot in the door. So if SOAP doesn't work out, I'd honestly just ask your PD what paths he/she would support and try for those.

The year started off okay but as soon as I started inpatient medicine, I struggled a lot - and realized I I forgotten a lot of medicine. Also keeping up with my peers in the clinical aspect - I was always the slowest one , I continually was pimped and humiliated in front of my peers ( completely destroyed my self esteem and made be go into depression) , I could not properly present cases ( anxiety did not help) - everything came out in a disorganized manner, could not focus on anything . I was put on probation ( which I understand why and knew I deserved it) - My residency adviser's way of fixing this was to put me on months and months of inpatient. She believes I didn't get thrown enough in the fire in med school so she is going to do it to me now. I did 2 months straight of in patient, did a month of EM ( with clinic on my what supposed to be my free days) , and then 2 months again straight of inpatient. 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day....for months. To say I was burnt out would be an understatement. I kept telling her, the biggest issue is my foundation - if I had more time to work on my clinical knowledge , everything else would fall int place. Due to the hardships I fell in severe depression...with also realizing I may have possible ADHD. All I felt I needed was a step away from inpatient to work on these issues....but she just said keep going, and just gotta do both. I understand I was responsible to get myself out of this mess, but I was hoping that my residency would be more supportive and if someone is saying I'M BURNOUT and this isn't working , they would try to work together on how to resolve these issues.

Anyways, that is the background story since ya'll would wanna know what happened. I wanna put put this in the past - what are my options with only one year internship? Is any residency ever going to give me a chance? I am searching around and I'm still not sure which way to go

Very sorry to hear of this, SNG. Teaching is an option.

Very sorry to hear of this, SNG. Teaching is an option.

Is it me, or have there been a lot more posts about non-renewal in the past few months? Are programs getting stricter? Or is my perception incorrect?

Is it me, or have there been a lot more posts about non-renewal in the past few months? Are programs getting stricter? Or is my perception incorrect?
This seems about average compared to the past few years. The only difference I've seen this year is that people have a bit more insight into the issues that led to their nonrenewal. In the past it's been a lot more "they were totally unfair and targeted me for no reason at all and I'm going to sue!"

I would immediately take a level 3 assessment and if on track to pass then absolutely take level 3 before the end of the pgy1

You could quite literally never start pgy2 and you need that license

This seems about average compared to the past few years. The only difference I've seen this year is that people have a bit more insight into the issues that led to their nonrenewal. In the past it's been a lot more "they were totally unfair and targeted me for no reason at all and I'm going to sue!"

I don't know I have seen more threads it seems like. I think there should be another way for residents who have a hard time to deal with this - I mean it's a lot of work to work it to have a nonrenewal. Evals are also so subjective so much of the time. I don't know.

This is the usual time when residents would come up for renewal, so I think this is just the "right time of year" unfortunately.

This is the usual time when residents would come up for renewal, so I think this is just the "right time of year" unfortunately.

Perhaps. When does that CCC committee meet? Is that for all programs? Again residency evals are so subjective. I have always had an issue with that.

I would immediately take a level 3 assessment and if on track to pass then absolutely take level 3 before the end of the pgy1

You could quite literally never start pgy2 and you need that license
Exactly. You want to be able to get a license ASAP

Exactly. You want to be able to get a license ASAP

But if she has knowledge issues, then it would be the kiss of death to take step 3 if she fails it. I would not take it now.

Typical phenotype of those posts in bold was that the OPs would start giving out a bit more info, and then soon it was apparent that they were fired or not renewed for ample reasons. Typical tip of the iceberg syndrome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So not everyone passes is my point.
In 2017 the pass rate for first time test takers was 98% among MDs and 100% among DOs. Yes, you are correct that some people fail. That said, this is clearly the least difficult test in the entire process of becoming a licensed physician and requires a trivial amount of preparation in comparison to the other tests that OP (and every other resident out there) has passed already.

They have more important things to stress about than step 3.

But if she has knowledge issues, then it would be the kiss of death to take step 3 if she fails it. I would not take it now.

Yeah but there’s a really high chance that the OP isn’t going to get another residency no matter what he or she does at this point. This may be her only chance to become eligible for a license.

Reactions: 2 users
In 2017 the pass rate for first time test takers was 98% among MDs and 100% among DOs. Yes, you are correct that some people fail. That said, this is clearly the least difficult test in the entire process of becoming a licensed physician and requires a trivial amount of preparation in comparison to the other tests that OP (and every other resident out there) has passed already.

They have more important things to stress about than step 3.

I am just saying man. I am a US MD, went to a good school, did well in med school, have another graduate degree, matched well, and I failed. I passed step 1 and 2 and ck on first attempts. Then again my computer crashed for step 3 so not sure how that affected things but still. it can happen. if you look at step 3 threads you will see that other people fail. I consider myself reasonably smart and I had a heck of a time with those ridiculous case scenarios in step 3. I did not think it was that easy to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but there’s a really high chance that the OP isn’t going to get another residency no matter what he or she does at this point. This may be her only chance to become eligible for a license.

Ouch. That's harsh. Other people have gotten residencies after dismissal. It is not going to be Derm in California, yes. But she can likely get another spot in FM in a non desirable place.

Ouch. That's harsh. Other people have gotten residencies after dismissal. It is not going to be Derm in California, yes. But she can likely get another spot in FM in a non desirable place.
I'm not saying it to be harsh, I'm just being realistic--her situation isn't the same as yours. As a DO grad with a three year gap from med school I would do everything possible to get a license while I can, and figure out getting back into residency if possible later.

Plus, it doesn't sound like she has a medical knowledge problem. It may well help her application.

I am just saying man. I am a US MD, went to a good school, did well in med school, have another graduate degree, matched well, and I failed. I passed step 1 and 2 and ck on first attempts. Then again my computer crashed for step 3 so not sure how that affected things but still. it can happen. if you look at step 3 threads you will see that other people fail. I consider myself reasonably smart and I had a heck of a time with those ridiculous case scenarios in step 3. I did not think it was that easy to be honest.
Well , you didn’t pass the first time either... would be worse if you did think it was easy and failed.Virtually all people pass, so the likelihood of the OP passing is good,especially if she studies for the test.

My situation is very similar to your Nutella girl. I usually never tell my story but I was in your situation. Here is my story below. You can PM me with questions.

I basically found an out of match spot in Neurology after not matching psych back in 2017. I did not like Neurology or medicine but it was something and the people at my neurology program were great people. I ended up having to do 6 months of inpatient medicine. It was brutal and I was put on probation too. Once they put you on probation, they are almost 90% certain they will not rehire you by the way. Anyway, I had the same mistakes. Couldn't recall information, was scolded by my attendings, and they made me redo medicine rotations. There was so many things to do and even if I made one mistake, I was labeled completely incompetent. In the end, I still wanted to do psych bad. Come January 2018, and they told me they didn't renew my contract but they said they would help and let me finish the year. Honestly, that day, I was so relieved and happy. The administration was raising eyebrows in the meeting and one even said "You must be relieved." I really did not like medicine or really neurology. But I knew I was going to do psych. Anyway, I ended up sending a email around Feb to all the programs.

ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)

This link has all the emails and contact information of the program directors, and program coordinators for every program in the country. I emailed all the psych programs and was offered a few interviews. My program wrote me a letter and vouched for me. Anyway, I got super lucky and ended up getting offered a pgy 2 psych spot last year which I took. I passed step 3 in my neurology year and was able to get a medical license in New York. Currently, I am a pgy 2 psych resident and really liking it. Psych is so much more better than medicine and you can end up doing well it in. Starting my pgy 3 year, I am going to moonlight and already have a job offer to moonlight during pgy 3 that's paying 140 per hr. So don't give up. Out of match spots are a totally different game. People on SDN really don't know because most only went through the match and think its the only possible way. Like I said, if you have any questions, ask.

That's awesome. Congrats. That's why I am saying that while it may suck, it's not irreparable. Nutella will not be the first or last person to have a contract non-renewed. It's important I think to perhaps cry, grieve, be upset, and then get back up on the horse and look for other options.

My situation is very similar to your Nutella girl. I usually never tell my story but I was in your situation. Here is my story below. You can PM me with questions.

I basically found an out of match spot in Neurology after not matching psych back in 2017. I did not like Neurology or medicine but it was something and the people at my neurology program were great people. I ended up having to do 6 months of inpatient medicine. It was brutal and I was put on probation too. Once they put you on probation, they are almost 90% certain they will not rehire you by the way. Anyway, I had the same mistakes. Couldn't recall information, was scolded by my attendings, and they made me redo medicine rotations. There was so many things to do and even if I made one mistake, I was labeled completely incompetent. In the end, I still wanted to do psych bad. Come January 2018, and they told me they didn't renew my contract but they said they would help and let me finish the year. Honestly, that day, I was so relieved and happy. The administration was raising eyebrows in the meeting and one even said "You must be relieved." I really did not like medicine or really neurology. But I knew I was going to do psych. Anyway, I ended up sending a email around Feb to all the programs.

This link has all the emails and contact information of the program directors, and program coordinators for every program in the country. I emailed all the psych programs and was offered a few interviews. My program wrote me a letter and vouched for me. Anyway, I got super lucky and ended up getting offered a pgy 2 psych spot last year which I took. I passed step 3 in my neurology year and was able to get a medical license in New York. Currently, I am a pgy 2 psych resident and really liking it. Psych is so much more better than medicine and you can end up doing well it in. Starting my pgy 3 year, I am going to moonlight and already have a job offer to moonlight during pgy 3 that's paying 140 per hr. So don't give up. Out of match spots are a totally different game. People on SDN really don't know because most only went through the match and think its the only possible way. Like I said, if you have any questions, ask.

Oh wow, I love hearing your success story! Thank you so much for sharing! Yes, I feel like I am just in the wrong field and I could do well in a field that I am actually interested in. I will PM you with more questions, thanks again!

That's awesome. Congrats. That's why I am saying that while it may suck, it's not irreparable. Nutella will not be the first or last person to have a contract non-renewed. It's important I think to perhaps cry, grieve, be upset, and then get back up on the horse and look for other options.

Thank you , I really do appreciate all your encouragement :)

Hey thanks for the replies

1. Yes, Level 3 means Comlex 3 lol ( that’s what osteopathic residents take). I don’t have to take USMLE. I won’t deny I had hard time with boards before, but I did well on my in-service exam, so I think I can do well - probably would get a tutor too. I’ll take the practice test before so I have a better idea. I know it won’t be easy for me, I have to study as hard as I studied for the other boards. I’ll know hopefully by tomorrow if my PD approves it.

2. Occupational Medicine/ Preventive Medicine - although seemed like a good route to go, unfortunately there is only one osteopathic program with all filled seats. There are at least 70 allopathic preventive programs but you need to be an ACGME accredited transitional year or a year in another ACGME accredited residency program. My program is on Pre-accreditation status so unfortunately I can’t apply. Prior to 2008 there were waivers for people with AOA training, but

3. Psych residency - honestly I feel like it’s like winning the lottery. That’s how competitive is has gotten. I applied everywhere last time, I only had one interview. I highly doubt after SOAP there will be any spots open.

4. How would I apply to SOAP? I never applied to the Match. I know for osteopathic they are bit more lenient in that I can send application materials via email - but I am not sure with MD programs

5. Best option I believe is trying to get into another FM program or TRI ( transitional rotation).I just don’t think I will get much support from my PD. When asked if I would be able to get a letter of rec for applying to programs, he said I will write you “a letter which says what happened here”. Which definitely doesn't sound good to me. I can start calling other programs/ emailing - but I am at loss of how to explain in my situation. Yes, I know I was not prepared for 2nd year. But I do think that with the training I got ( and if I study for level 3) , I should be prepared to take on repeating PGY1

6. If residency really is not an option -State License - anyone knows what I can do with ? What type of job opportunities? Can I still work under another licensed physician? With one year of internship ( and knowing I have not even done well, practicing on own just seems crazy).

So perhaps I am ignorant on this since I'm not a DO- but why is your internship not something that can be used for allopathic residencies?I am confused, perhaps ignorant on this so I apologize.

I would imagine that PGY2 psych positions open up every now and then so you may have options. It will take work but I think you can possibly match. I would try FM again too.
I don't know what your PD will write. I think you can be honest if you interview and say look I had a 3 year gap, and was rusty essentially I would try to get some coaching in temrs of interview skills, personal statement, etc. I think that would be beneficial.

Unfortunately I would not practice with simply 1 year of residency. Don't think it's safe even fi you can get a license. Disability evals is an option but I am not certain what long term viability there is.
Open a spa? :)

Thank you , I really do appreciate all your encouragement :)

Even now on resident swap there is an open PGY2 spot. I remember interviewing at a number of very prestigious places for PGY-2 spots and I honestly don't recall whether they were part of the match or not. I think Psych is one of those fields that;s more flexible.

When people say it's gotten more competitive I think it's incorrect statement. Specialties "all" get more competitive as there are more applicants every year. IT's like saying PM&R is more competitive - well sure because theere are more applicants in general. Our program got hundreds of applications (I think over 400+ or something like that) - so again it's more competitive but in part that has a lot to do with more people in the match.

I'm about to give you the best, greatest secret in terms of getting into residency. If you don't listen and follow my directions, you will end up without a spot guaranteed. I don't like giving advice because most people in medicine are sheep and only like doing stuff one way. But with this, you definitely have a shot. This is how I got a neurology spot in Southern California after I didn't even match or SOAP. Even my medical school, was shocked.

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun

Click run report for 2018/2019. Above is a list of new residency positions that opened up last year and this year. This list gets updated daily when there are new spots that open. Some programs open late, either a little before the match or after. Anyway, these programs are looking for residents at a time when 99% of all residents are matched and SOAPed. So you have little competition. Anyway, keep checking this list everyday. And send a email out to these programs. Especially the ones that get accredited after Feb 2019. They might be looking for residents. I would email the psych and even the transitional programs. You can do other ones too. But trust me, this is your very best bet. I hope you use this advice. Most people don't know about this at all.

Reactions: 9 users
So perhaps I am ignorant on this since I'm not a DO- but why is your internship not something that can be used for allopathic residencies?I am confused, perhaps ignorant on this so I apologize.

I would imagine that PGY2 psych positions open up every now and then so you may have options. It will take work but I think you can possibly match. I would try FM again too.
I don't know what your PD will write. I think you can be honest if you interview and say look I had a 3 year gap, and was rusty essentially I would try to get some coaching in temrs of interview skills, personal statement, etc. I think that would be beneficial.

Unfortunately I would not practice with simply 1 year of residency. Don't think it's safe even fi you can get a license. Disability evals is an option but I am not certain what long term viability there is.
Open a spa? :)

I read an article about that an osteopathic internship can't count for an allopathic residency for a Preventive Medicine. But I'll email some preventive med programs and see if that is really true. Lol I was actually looking into medical spa - it really doesn't make me feel like I am doing something rewarding, but I guess it still is an option. Opening a spa, I think you need a lot of money upfront which I don't have. Also if you want to be a medical director ,you need to have some training in the medical procedures even if you are having mostly NPS and PAs doing the procedures and you are just overseeing. Again, I don't know where to get trained in this.

I read an article about that an osteopathic internship can't count for an allopathic residency for a Preventive Medicine. But I'll email some preventive med programs and see if that is really true. Lol I was actually looking into medical spa - it really doesn't make me feel like I am doing something rewarding, but I guess it still is an option. Opening a spa, I think you need a lot of money upfront which I don't have. Also if you want to be a medical director ,you need to have some training in the medical procedures even if you are having mostly NPS and PAs doing the procedures and you are just overseeing. Again, I don't know where to get trained in this.

I think the advice from the person above was sound. Keep looking daily if I were you for spots. Finish your current year. Again try to get some practice and polish skills. Make a well written statement about what happened - not making excuses but being honest - I couldnt imagine that a program couldn't put 2 and 2 together and realize a 3 year gap is not somehow involved. You'll likely have to repeat intern year But that happens. Not great but I think it's not all lost. Try to do your best this year, gain as much knowledge as you can.
I think not all is lost. And definitely I agree with the other person who said look into thosespots that open up for new programs and need residents. might be worth a shot!

I'm about to give you the best, greatest secret in terms of getting into residency. If you don't listen and follow my directions, you will end up without a spot guaranteed. I don't like giving advice because most people in medicine are sheep and only like doing stuff one way. But with this, you definitely have a shot. This is how I got a neurology spot in Southern California after I didn't even match or SOAP. Even my medical school, was shocked.

Click run report for 2018/2019. Above is a list of new residency positions that opened up last year and this year. This list gets updated daily when there are new spots that open. Some programs open late, either a little before the match or after. Anyway, these programs are looking for residents at a time when 99% of all residents are matched and SOAPed. So you have little competition. Anyway, keep checking this list everyday. And send a email out to these programs. Especially the ones that get accredited after Feb 2019. They might be looking for residents. I would email the psych and even the transitional programs. You can do other ones too. But trust me, this is your very best bet. I hope you use this advice. Most people don't know about this at all.

I sent you a PM :)

We had a PGY 1 who got kicked out of her OB/Gyn residency in my first psych residency program. The PD is no longer there, but there are a lot of people who change from one field to psych. But being a DO, and doing a DO intern year you don't have the luxury of using your PGY1 year for an MD PGY2 (I don't think).

If you TRULY want to do psych, the one associated with LECOM in PA went unmatched pretty much the year I matched. I recall them calling and emailing like crazy before the match and I told them I wasn't ranking them. That PD left so perhaps it is more competitive now but they were dying for any warm bodies at the time.
They could let you use at least part of your PGY1 for psych and may have an open spot. A lot of people leave psych their third year to do child psych making room in psych residencies to take an extra resident. I agree with also looking at the newer programs and taking Step 3. Detroit Wayne County Health Authority (Authority Health) GME Consortium Program used to advertise to people who had some red flags on their application.
Are you sure you want to do psych? I am a psychiatrist who will be applying for a second residency in FP next year. (and a second residency isn't easy to get due to funding).

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
DO and MD residencies are accredited by different programs (AOA vs. ACGME). This will change by 2020, but is not yet the case for most programs I believe.

You can check whether your current DO program is ACGME accredited, if so that might open up some possibilities for you to transfer to a PGY-2 position. The issue there will be getting your current program to support that since they clearly don't think you're at the PGY-2 level, but more options are always good.

I have actually thought about it while in med school....think I have a shot?

I think someone with the smarts and stubbornness to get into and through medical school shouldn't sell herself short. This experience may be a setback but you still can absolutely do good things in a job you enjoy (and don't settle for less).

I'm not looking for another residency, but I am really impressed. (And I'm not impressed often.) How did you figure this out?

If you can apply this out-of-the-box thinking to your career, you'll go far in life.

Good news everyone - the PD has agreed to let me register for the COMLEX level 3! At least that should open doors.

Reactions: 8 users
DO and MD residencies are accredited by different programs (AOA vs. ACGME). This will change by 2020, but is not yet the case for most programs I believe.

You can check whether your current DO program is ACGME accredited, if so that might open up some possibilities for you to transfer to a PGY-2 position. The issue there will be getting your current program to support that since they clearly don't think you're at the PGY-2 level, but more options are always good.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for another residency, but I am really impressed. (And I'm not impressed often.) How did you figure this out?

If you can apply this out-of-the-box thinking to your career, you'll go far in life.

I had trouble with the link - did it work for you?