What's the best first gun to own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who in their right mind would should a little kid? I laughed my ass off on that one.

Common sense does apply even in Florida. You need to make a plausible argument/defense for why lethal force was necessary. The key word is "plausible" so 6 bullet holes in the supposed assailant's back really will need quite a story.

It was deliberately absurd. The point being that the castle doctrine isn't as much of a shield as people think it is. You can't just shoot someone, even in your house in the middle of the night, and be certain a self defense claim is going to fly. While it is presumed that the intruder was going to do bad things to you, it is best that you actually be afraid that s/he will before you shoot.

Members don't see this ad.

My 9.5" 300 BLK SBR is going to meet its suppressor for the first time on Thursday. I have bunch of 208 amax and 220 SMK subsonics loaded up for it. :D

Good times out in the desert ... :)

blackout.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get a 9.5" barrel from and how do you like the length? AAC has a 9" that I have been looking at. Noveske makes an 8" that seems a little too short. Did you buy the complete upper or assemble it yourself? What rail system is that?

I have been working on the plans for a suppressed 300 blackout SBR build right now. 9.5" with 9" rails might be a good way to go...

- pod

9.5.. hows it sound without the can?

also, jealous

Supers are loud. Subs aren't quite as loud, but still need ear protection. Since I never shoot it unsuppressed without ear pro it's hard to say how loud.

It's nowhere near as loud as my braked 5.56 SBR.

Where did you get a 9.5" barrel from and how do you like the length? AAC has a 9" that I have been looking at. Noveske makes an 8" that seems a little too short. Did you buy the complete upper or assemble it yourself? What rail system is that?

I have been working on the plans for a suppressed 300 blackout SBR build right now. 9.5" with 9" rails might be a good way to go...

It's a 1-8 twist barrel from a co called core15. They get pretty good reviews, they're in stock, and they seem to have gotten the gas port size right, which has troubled some manufacturers (not AAC or Noveske) whose barrels may or may not cycle unsuppressed subs. Mine is accurate (though I haven't loaded anything really chasing accuracy yet) and it has perfect/concentric threads which of course is important for suppressor mounting.

The upper & rail system is a monolithic from Armalite (their SPR Mod1 6" kit) which is a rebranded Aero Precision continuous optics platform upper. Even though it's a 6" carbine rail model, the way they measured the rail length is weird, there's actually about 8.5" forward of the bolt face. Even with a conventionally measured non-monolithic upper I bet a 9" rail would be cutting it close on a 9.5" barrel. Still need to allow for 1/2" or so lost to threads, and assuming there's some QD suppressor mount, a bit more for the can itself to maybe overlap the muzzle device, whatever you choose.

It has a low profile adjustable gas block from Spikes, probably won't ever need to adjust it but I wasn't sure if I'd need to ...

A TA47-2 ACOG on top (a compact 2x model).

Surefire FA762K suppressor on their K03 flash hider mount.

Nothing special about the lower except a Geissele SSA trigger.

It's fun. Finding ammo may be an issue unless you reload or are patient with online bulk orders.

- pod

It might work if you are very careful about the outside diameter of the can and the inside diameter of the hand guard.

Keep in mind that if you are going to shoot almost exclusively subsonic, that AAC is moving to a 1-7 twist which will stabilize 240gr bullets or some of the very long lead free bullets.

they seem to have gotten the gas port size right, which has troubled some manufacturers

I dumped my CMMG barrel for this reason.

This question was already ( probably) asked but It's a long thread and difficult to find.

What would you guys recommend as a first gun for a woman? I am not a big one and my hands are small.

At a shooting range ( I was there twice) I've tried several pistols, but it seems so difficult to operate them in comparison to a revolver.

What would you guys recommend as a first gun for a woman? I am not a big one and my hands are small.

With familiarity and practice, anyone can be adept with basically any gun.

As for "What is the best gun for a woman?" the answer is going to a frustrating "Whatever you like to shoot the most."

I know that isn't that helpful, but everyone has their preferences.

General guidelines:

The more bullets a semi-automatic handgun holds, the larger the grip
A steel gun will be heavier than polymer gun
A steel gun will have less perception of recoil
A larger gun will be heavier to hold, but will have less perception of recoil
A .40 caliber will feel like it has the most recoil
A 9mm will feel like it has the least
A Glock will likely have the largest grip out of all the choices

You basically have to handle and shoot quite a few guns to see what you like. Both the Springfield Armory Xdm and the Smith and Wesson M&P autos have interchangeable backstraps that will let you adjust the grip size.

My wife has medium size hands. She really likes the Smith and Wesson 686 plus, shooting 38 special +P
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Her second choice is a semi custom 1911 style gun in 45.

Both are relatively heavy.

Lots of gun have dramatic differences in triggers. You have to handle them. It would be worth it for you try a 1911 style gun that has a tuned trigger with a stock double action revolver trigger, just so you can compare the difference.

A gun is a big investment and may save your life. It is a good idea to spend some time and money renting and trying so that you can figure out what you like. It is also very important to take a fundamentals of shooting class and then practice regularly.

Thank you

I agree that a CCW class and range time are important factors. If you don't plan on shooting much (less than 3 times per year) then consider a revolver. It goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Smith and Wesson makes a ton of revolvers both heavy and very light weight.

My wife owns several guns as gifts from me. She is a very good shot but I still feel most comfortable when she carries her ultra lightweight smith and Wesson revolver in her purse.
That said, with practice a nice 9 mm pistol in semi automatic is a good choice as long as you become familiar with the weapon especially racking the slide and knowIng how to clear any malfunctions/jams. PGG's wife carries a nice Sig pistol in her purse.

I agree that a CCW class and range time are important factors. If you don't plan on shooting much (less than 3 times per year) then consider a revolver. It goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Smith and Wesson makes a ton of revolvers both heavy and very light weight.

My wife owns several guns as gifts from me. She is a very good shot but I still feel most comfortable when she carries her ultra lightweight smith and Wesson revolver in her purse.
That said, with practice a nice 9 mm pistol in semi automatic is a good choice as long as you become familiar with the weapon especially racking the slide and knowIng how to clear any malfunctions/jams. PGG's wife carries a nice Sig pistol in her purse.

Thanks, Blade

how do you like the length?

Missed this question earlier - I went with 9.5" for a few reasons

- availability (almost nothing anywhere was in stock when I wanted to order)
- suppressor wear issues ... below 9" rifles are very hard on cans, and I wanted a flash hider not a brake on this gun (relevant because brakes are very good first/sacrificial baffles)
- velocity really starts to drop off below 10" with 110gr supersonic ammo

300blk.jpg

- 9.5" is short enough to feel like a SBR

It feels good, I like it. The suppressor adds about 6" to it. At some point I might pick up one of Surefire's new 7.62 Mini suppressors, but there's other stuff on the list before I get a 2nd 7.62 can.

After shooting my .45 Osprey a bunch over the weekend, I'm thinking a compact pistol suppressor should be next (AAC's Tirant 45S or 9S). The Osprey sounds great and the eccentric design makes normal size sights easily usable with it, but it's pretty long.

I'll have to drool as we are an SBR free state.

I'm in CA where nothing is legal, so I only get periodic conjugal visits with my NFA stuff in Arizona. It does lessen the sting of long ATF waits though.

PGG's wife carries a nice Sig pistol in her purse.

Yes, she has a Sig P239 in 9mm. 8 rd single stack magazine which fits her small hands well.

However, my mother shot the P239 and my P226 (full size 9mm, double stack magazine) a couple days ago, both for the first time, and much preferred the heavier P226 because she felt more recoil with the P239.

So as you and others have said, trying out different guns, via friends or family or rentals, is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that many of the more reputable handguns don't have a manual safety (e.g. glocks). Would this be a cause for concern about accidental discharge, especially with small kids in the house? If so, would it be worth it to have one installed by a gunsmith?

My understanding is that many of the more reputable handguns don't have a manual safety (e.g. glocks). Would this be a cause for concern about accidental discharge, especially with small kids in the house? If so, would it be worth it to have one installed by a gunsmith?

Many of the polymer pistols such as Glocks do lack external safeties as you say. They do have internal safeties and/or grip safeties (XD). I think a better plan would be to keep it locked up, and teach the kids about gun safety. A firearm is only as safe as the person using it, with or without "safety" devices. External safeties don't change the way I handle a firearm. Even if it had a safety on, I wouldn't point it at someone and pull the trigger.

At a shooting range ( I was there twice) I've tried several pistols, but it seems so difficult to operate them in comparison to a revolver.

I highly recommend a heavy revolver as a first gun for any person. I personally always carry a revolver except for situations where I need the conceal-ability of a narrower weapon. The mechanics of the revolver let you focus on the fundamentals of shooting (sight picture, trigger control etc.) without the gun getting in the way.

I wear a size 7.5 Biogel for comparison and I find the perfect revolver is the Smith and Wesson Model 66. I personally carry a Model 66-3 and I recommend a pre-lock model with the round grips seen in the image below.

PICT1367_2.jpg

That is the exact gun that I most frequently carry. It can shoot .357 Mag for defense, but shoots light 38 special loads for introduction and training purposes.

Whatever you do, do not start with one of the ultralight "ladies" guns you see on the shelf. You can graduate to a lighter gun once you have learned the basics. If you start with an ultralight, you will develop some really bad habits from the brutal recoil.

- pod

Many reputable handguns (Glock/ XD etc) do not have external safeties. Many very reputable handguns do. A Glock/XD with no external safety is much more safe in the event that it falls into the hands of an untrained individual (adult or child) than say a 1911 model with an external safety. The reason for this is that the trigger pull is necessarily heavier and more difficult for a child to operate. With a 1911 style weapon in condition one (cartridge in the chamber, hammer cocked, and safety on) it would be very easy for a child to slip the safety off and activate the light action trigger.

There is no role for or utility in adding an external safety to a handgun that does not come with it as an option from the factory. There are a few guns (H&K for example) that come from the factory configured either with or without external safeties and adding a safety is a simple operation. Then it just comes down to your preferred carry setup.

Of course, a child should never be able to get their hands on your gun and they should be trained in how to behave around guns if they are going to be anywhere near them. But that goes without saying,.

- pod

I shoot light load hollow point .38's out of that snub snose. It's a little snappy but great carry piece for the hot weather and perfect for self defense at less than 10 feet.

I have the Ruger version.

LG-411_CLASSIC_42.jpg

38 special Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace.

Snappy recoil, but a decent carry option.

- pod

I'm an MS3 applying into anesthesiology so I figure I can chime in.

The LCR is a sweet gun, I just picked up one in .357 magnum with the hogue tamer grips last week. I shoot 125 grain magnum loads, but my wife likes to shoot it with .38 special (not +P)

I also own an H&K USPc .45acp and a Sig Sauer P226 9mm. To anyone considering a first gun, I'd recommend a revolver. The H&K and Sig are awesome guns, but a revolver is easier for a new shooter (e.g. my wife) to handle.

If the Ruger LCR is too light for you, look into the Ruger sp101 series; the stainless frame adds some weight and helps mitigate recoil. The GP100 series is also nice, if you have bigger hands or just want a bigger gun. In general, Rugers seem to be great guns and can be had for maybe half the price of a similar Smith and Wesson.

Any left handed shooters out there? What would be a good first gun (other than a revolver)?

There are a few possible controls on a pistol to consider:
  • Slide release
  • Magazine release
  • (External/manual) safety
  • Decocking lever
With a Glock or XD type pistol, there are no external safeties. My XD has an ambidextrous magazine release. I believe some Berettas have ambidextrous safeties, as do some HKs and some of the 1911s. The Beretta Storm has an ambidextrous slide release lever.

Also the CZ 85 seems to have fully ambidextrous controls.

Any left handed shooters out there? What would be a good first gun (other than a revolver)?

In the AR15 world, Stag Arms actually makes a line of left-handed ARs which eject to the left. Ambidextrous controls can be pretty easily retrofitted to most other ARs.

As mentioned some handguns have ambidextrous controls, and some others can be switched from R --> L or made ambidextrous. Being right handed, I haven't really paid close attention.

I am considering a beretta 92fs, supposed to have ambidextrous controls, anybody have any comments on these?

In the AR15 world, Stag Arms actually makes a line of left-handed ARs which eject to the left. Ambidextrous controls can be pretty easily retrofitted to most other ARs.

As mentioned some handguns have ambidextrous controls, and some others can be switched from R --> L or made ambidextrous. Being right handed, I haven't really paid close attention.

It's strange, pistols I shoot lefty, rifles righty. I have tried righty with pistols but i just cant quite get comfortable.

I am considering a beretta 92fs, supposed to have ambidextrous controls, anybody have any comments on these?

It's the standard issue US military sidearm. The main criticism stems from the fact that the Hague Convention limits militaries to FMJ-only ammunition, which makes 9mm a questionable choice for military use.

The Berettas are nice, reliable guns, and with quality hollow point ammuntion a solid self defense choice (as are other quality 9mm handguns).

IMO of course.

Carried it for five years on active duty, it's a nice weapon. Since I got out of the Corps I prefer to carry a Glock, which is much more simple and hassle free maintenance. I just got annoyed with cleaning the Beretta, and I am not a fan of having a safety on a weapon.

With some ++P rounds, the 9mm can deliver some nice force. You can't be an amateur hour though, you gotta be able to hit that target!

Something like this with an ACOG scope is what I am planning to build.

Picked out an ACOG yet? The compact 2x TA47R-2 I have on mine right now is nice but I think I'd like a little more magnification.

Leopold has a Blackout-specific reticle now with BDC hashes on the right for supersonic ammo, with subsonics on the left.

Hotlinked -
leupold_300_blackout_reticle_worksheet.jpg

Interesting idea, but I don't like the only scope they putting it in right now.

The only thing you're missing is a 3rd option for that selector switch ;) You're a gas guy, you can fork up 10g for a registered sear :D

If I could find a good RDIAS or registered receiver for 10K I'd buy it on the spot.

Prices are way up. Today you're looking at $14K+ for RDIASs, $16K+ for RRs, and if you want one with a pony on it, $20K+. It's outta control ...

The Hughes Amendment needs to be repealed. :(

I bet you would like this one then.

Something like this with an ACOG scope is what I am planning to build.

- pod

That is a beautiful gun. I'd love something like that. I'm considering something similar that would be a pseudoSBR except in 5.7x28. It would use a 12" barrel and I'd add a barrel shroud that would technically get the length up to 16", but would allow me to screw an AAC SS Sparrow on it. Not as elegant, but serviceable, however the lengths are really close.

Leopold has a Blackout-specific reticle now with BDC hashes on the right for supersonic ammo, with subsonics on the left.

That is also a pretty expensive scope...although I'm shooting a fairly cheap dot right now and haven't stepped up to the premium stuff yet.

That is a beautiful gun. I'd love something like that. I'm considering something similar that would be a pseudoSBR except in 5.7x28. It would use a 12" barrel and I'd add a barrel shroud that would technically get the length up to 16", but would allow me to screw an AAC SS Sparrow on it. Not as elegant, but serviceable, however the lengths are really close.

My brother has a 16" AR57 and he liked my Sparrow (SilencerCo) on it so much he bought his own. Still have the supersonic crack but it's a fun gun.

Been meaning to load up some subsonic with 55gr Sierra Gamekings for him but haven't gotten around to it.

That is also a pretty expensive scope...although I'm shooting a fairly cheap dot right now and haven't stepped up to the premium stuff yet.

If they'd put that reticle on a lower end scope I'd probably get one. But $1200+ for a Leupold ... :eyebrow:

Every time I shoot one of my few good optics I resolve to finally spend the money and get good scopes for my other guns. Then I get distracted by something else and blow my scope budget on something that isn't a scope.

If I could find a good RDIAS or registered receiver for 10K I'd buy it on the spot.

Prices are way up. Today you're looking at $14K+ for RDIASs, $16K+ for RRs, and if you want one with a pony on it, $20K+. It's outta control ...

The Hughes Amendment needs to be repealed. :(

I'm not terribly well informed, but RDIAS seems like the best option to me, why's it the cheapest? Nice thick piece of metal you don't have to worry about breaking.

And registry investments seem like they're still a good financial move. I don't think there will be a repeal anyyyy time soon. Pretty high risk though :D

I'm not terribly well informed, but RDIAS seems like the best option to me, why's it the cheapest? Nice thick piece of metal you don't have to worry about breaking.

I'm not sure. I can't say I really know a lot about that bit of the market. I've heard a RDIAS supposedly is pickier and harder to tune right, especially if you plan on moving it between different guns or swapping uppers.

And registry investments seem like they're still a good financial move. I don't think there will be a repeal anyyyy time soon. Pretty high risk though :D

If I paid $15K for a transferable machinegun and they repealed the Hughes amendment the next week, I'd have mixed feelings. I'd try to keep my financial-loss tears from messing up the half-dozen Form 1s I'd be filling out ...

But you're right, a repeal would be shocking.

Sparrow (SilencerCo)

Oops. Yes, indeed, SilencerCo. I'm perseverating on the 762SD as a) it is the only one that I have a host ready for and b) it has been discontinued by AAC before I even have it.

I'm hoping the stamps come next week. I got my Form 4s back for an "error" and They were recieved by the ATF monday. Fingers crossed.

(I say error because the ATF says that my trust is named slightly differently than I say it is. On review, there is a slight ambiguity in the way my trust is written. I had to add one word to each form.)

I kind of like Trijicon's SRS. Also very pricey (street price ~$850), but I like the idea that it can be illuminated without batteries and not just with fiber optics. I just know that is something I'd forget to check. I'm not sure that feature is $200 cool though.

Last edited:
The only thing you're missing is a 3rd option for that selector switch ;) You're a gas guy, you can fork up 10g for a registered sear :D

I have a few other things to pay off first. In the mean time to satisfy my ammo wasting fetish...

[YOUTUBE]D1WhhKH3QVU[/YOUTUBE]

No stamp required.

- pod

I kind of like Trijicon's SRS. Also very pricey (street price ~$850), but I like the idea that it can be illuminated without batteries and not just with fiber optics. I just know that is something I'd forget to check. I'm not sure that feature is $200 cool though.

Interesting, hadn't seen those before. I'm looking for a compact red dot for my 5.56 SBR. I like Trijicon's tritium and fiberoptic stuff because of the no-battery issue, but I'll probably get an Aimpoint T1 ... 50,000 hour battery life on one lithium 123 is good enough.

I have a few other things to pay off first. In the mean time to satisfy my ammo wasting fetish...

No stamp required.

Do you have one of those? Does it work well?

I've been reluctant to pay the $300+ for something like that, because it just looks like one of those things that'll never work as well in my hands as in the product video.

Also, that guy's nuts for shooting a steel target with a rifle from about 4 yards away! Even if it is angled down ...

Buddy of mine has one of these, and while I have not had the pleasure of testing it out yet, he showed me a video of him shooting it and it appeared to work just as well as the video demonstration. Literally cannot wait to try it.

Do you have one of those? Does it work well?

I've been reluctant to pay the $300+ for something like that, because it just looks like one of those things that'll never work as well in my hands as in the product video.

Also, that guy's nuts for shooting a steel target with a rifle from about 4 yards away! Even if it is angled down ...[/QUOTE]

I do not own one yet. I have had a chance to handle them, but not fire them yet. They should function without a problem. My concern is that the entire weapon save the stock, and pistol grip, has to be slid forward then is constantly moving. This can't be good for accuracy, but I don't know that it would be any worse than a true full auto weapon.

- pod

I own one, and is currently my only (and first) gun. I dig it and it fills the hand nicely, especially with Hogue grips with the finger notches. Reliable and accurate, and the action is very smooth. When I was shopping for my first gun, I fondled a bunch of different brands but knew this was the one as soon as I racked the slide. It is on the big and heavy side though, so if you're looking to carry a gun, you may want something a bit smaller. While I've carried mine and was able to conceal it well on my (very) thin frame, it was uncomfortable when sitting in a firm-backed seat/chair, like my car.

My next acquisition (within the next week or so) will be a S&W 640 for a more viable carry option. And 'cause I wants me a revolver.

Re: muzzle flip - the 92 is famous for its soft shooting so I attributed its muzzle flip to my lack of shooting experience, despite reading about and seeing many videos of grip techniques and becoming a pretty good shooter over the past few months. I didn't really think it was gun-specific until I recently rented a S&W 686 and shot plenty of full power .357 loads. Not nearly the muzzle flip with the wheel gun as with my 92...more like a "push" than a flip.

For SIG fans, this was my first buy (new) for $535.

1287727304.jpg

Chambered in 9-mm, and came with two 15-round magazines, night sights, and an integrated Picatinny rail. It shoots great...put 1500+ rounds through it without a single malfunction. Field-stripping is different than the P-series of pistols, but is relatively easy to accomplish.

3NW9H.jpg

The stamps have finally come. Now I just have to get the other two hosts ready to accept their cans. Can't wait to shoot on friday.