What's the best way to spend my summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I only have decent clinical volunteering hours from a hospice ( ~ 100 hours) and from volunteering in a hospital (should be around 50-60 hours by summer). I also have around 50 hours of tutoring low-income kids (non-clinical volunteering). I have no research (no luck getting into a lab at school) and no shadowing hours.

I can't decide what I should do this summer...

should I spend it by participating in a 8-10 week REU at some research university doing biomedical research and have a poster by the end (like all the programs promise)?
Should I instead focus on programs offering clinical research?

Or should I do a mix of getting some shadowing hours through a pre-med hospital program and then spend the rest as a camp counselor/worker for disabled kids? (does it matter whether I get paid or not... if I get paid, then it doesn't go into non-clinical volunteering, right?)

I am not going to get into top 20-30 schools anyways, so it feels like I shouldn't waste my time on research and build other parts of my resume, but idk if applying with 0 research is a good idea either? I'm a sophomore right now.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d do the research then get 50 hours of shadowing a couple diff docs including family med in your free time. Also get some non clinical and clinical volunteering (150ish hours) by the time you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d do the research then get 50 hours of shadowing a couple diff docs including family med in your free time. Also get some non clinical and clinical volunteering (150ish hours) by the time you apply.

Really? I always thought that research was less important than doing stuff like volunteering with children with disabilities? And it seems like everyone is doing REUs so it wouldn't help me stand out either, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the research, take the initiative to check the box :laugh:

Really? I always thought that research was less important than doing stuff like volunteering with children with disabilities? And it seems like everyone is doing REUs so it wouldn't help me stand out either, right?
I think even mid tier schools will appreciate you having some research versus none. I would normally say just volunteer but having 0 research could limit your options a little. You could still get in without research so it’s up to you