What's the hardest class you have ever taken in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hardest class based on how the professor taught it: Anatomy & Physiology at community college taught by a retired ER doctor from Loma Linda. I’ve never worked so hard for a class in my life.
YES. My first two terms of A&P at a community college were taught by an MD/PhD (don't ask me why he was teaching at a CC, he has some ramblings about different kinds of bureaucracy...) and you had to know the material inside, outside, and upside down. His test questions were so technical that it made you analyze his grammar to suss out exactly which answer was mostest correct. But it made me a better student and his clinical experience made his class extremely interesting. He moved away over the summer and now the class is taught by some guy from the local high school. To say I was grossly over prepared for his first test is practically an understatement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought PChem was fairly straight forward tbh. Definitely not as hard as Orgo.

Quantum Mechanics I and II. Still doesn't make any sense...

But it gives you a pretty deep understanding of where all those "orgo trends" you usually memorize come from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Engineering major here..." Applied Mathematics for Chemical Engineering" - Grad course with a mix of linear algebra and vector calculus!

I chickened out of engineering after my calc 2 for engineers class lol. Too much work when med school is plan A.

Reactions: 4 users
I took physical chemistry I, which was pretty much 4 solved systems, nondegenerate perturbation theory, using basis sets for quantum computer simulation, and electronic spectroscopy. We were assumed to know QM1, QM2, linalg, and bits of functional analysis coming in (in addition to vector calc, etc which everyone takes). Hardest class was probably graduate inorganic chemistry b/c the energy levels you get after group theory calculations are so unpredictable sometimes and it didn't interest me too much :( (I felt I could've done much better if I actually wanted to enter that field)

I really hope I get to use this again in radiology or radiation oncology in the future.

Public speaking, that class was a nightmare from start to finish.

Graph Theory and Efficient Algorithms (including P/NP, reductions). Newfound appreciation for Computer Science.

I dont have a specfic hardest class but having to take 18 credits a term, the one semester I took only 14 credits was the hardest:
Ochem II w/lab
Pchem w/lab
Physics II w/ lab
Genetics

Jeez... no wonder you're so bitter and cranky ;P J

JK

That is an insane semester man.

I mean this is just referring to science classes. I mean yes these are all hard but in my personal opinion, the stupid art class I had to take was much harder than any other class. It wasn't interesting either.

Pestering problems posed by paranoid premeds is what Perplexes and plagues my person

xD

Yes I know. But then again... it’s understandable why we’re so neurotic. As you always say, 60% applicants get rejected every cycle. It’s natural to be super paranoid and scared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took physical chemistry I, which was pretty much 4 solved systems, nondegenerate perturbation theory, using basis sets for quantum computer simulation, and electronic spectroscopy. We were assumed to know QM1, QM2, linalg, and bits of functional analysis coming in (in addition to vector calc, etc which everyone takes). Hardest class was probably graduate inorganic chemistry b/c the energy levels you get after group theory calculations are so unpredictable sometimes and it didn't interest me too much :( (I felt I could've done much better if I actually wanted to enter that field)

I really hope I get to use this again in radiology or radiation oncology in the future.

Ayyeee. Radiative onc squad represent.

Man some really interesting answers. For me, it’d definitely be organic I. Even harder than Biochemistry tbh.

There was an art class I had to take which was terrible. I did well in all the maths tho...

Also didn’t like taxonomy bio *shudders*

Organic chemistry as a prereq isn’t difficult. Advanced or graduate level organic chemistry is a completely different story altogether.

I dont have a specfic hardest class but having to take 18 credits a term, the one semester I took only 14 credits was the hardest:
Ochem II w/lab
Pchem w/lab
Physics II w/ lab
Genetics

I imagine a lot of expletives being thrown around your residence during that term. Geez!

This semester I'm taking ochem w/ lab, physics w/lab, cell bio, calculus; I'd still have to say that the hardest class I've ever taken was "advanced patisserie, chocolates, and showpieces" back in my culinary school days!

Reactions: 1 users
Probably Computer Organization and Architecture. It's a lot of math, and memorization and we had to write a 8 Page research paper (mine was roughly 5,000 words).

Linear Algebra and Differential Equations... Understanding vector spaces was a whole new way of thinking and much different than the memorization required in most science classes. Plus our tests were multiple choice A-F and you lost points if you didn't pick a letter or if you picked a wrong letter

I went through the same s*** with pchem and hope I never have to use it again

Easiest class: Organic Chemistry II

Hardest class: Introduction to Sociology.

Actually though, the hardest class for me was Physics II, electricity and magnetism, and also Statistics, believe it or not. Orgo 1 and 2 are really not that hard. Pretty intuitive.

Easiest classes: Biochemistry, Organic 1

Hardest class: Physics 1, but luckily I had a wonderful professor that was always willing to answer questions and help along the way.

Most work put into a class: Organic II (Only because the professor was a little unreasonable).

Me too! I made 3 C's in college, two in Spanish 1 & 2 (my prof was merciful). The other was Introduction to Government. The reading list included Plato, Solzhenitsyn, some book about the Irish Parliament, and a bunch of other stuff I have block out of my mind. On the first test approximately 20 (of a class of about 25) made an 'F', I got a 'D', and the rest were C's and B's.

Molecular Parasitology - MIMG 168. 0/10. Would not recommend. Worst Class Ever.

Not really. The classes I cursed at the most were
-Calc for engineers II where the professor was just spacy (late in year was rushed by campus ambulance when coked out in his office).
-poli sci class on political behavior modeling where the professor showed up at ER with some sort of psych episode. I had little interaction with him for that. Yet in a class session a week later, he had some paranoid episoded that targeted me claiming I was spreading rumors about him that . And I was the one who had to negotiate with him while class left and called police.
-constitutional law class which is the only class I ever got a grade less than I deserved. I am still pissed at that prof

What happened with the professor? Grades your final wrong?

My school had a notoriously difficult Ochem sequence for pre-meds. It sucked something fierce, although, at the end my grade wasn't super great but that section on the MCAT was a breeze and was my second highest section because of those classes. So I guess it worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. The classes I cursed at the most were
-Calc for engineers II where the professor was just spacy (late in year was rushed by campus ambulance when coked out in his office).
-poli sci class on political behavior modeling where the professor showed up at ER with some sort of psych episode. I had little interaction with him for that. Yet in a class session a week later, he had some paranoid episoded that targeted me claiming I was spreading rumors about him that . And I was the one who had to negotiate with him while class left and called police.
-constitutional law class which is the only class I ever got a grade less than I deserved. I am still pissed at that prof

Those first two are definitely unique and I can understand why they'd stand out among others as the worst of the bunch. What happened with those two professors during those terms? Were they replaced, or allowed to continue teaching the courses? Did the students get leniency on grades or anything?

There's not a whole lot worse than getting a grade less than you deserved, so I feel you on that third course as well. You just never know when it comes to selecting a professor...

I was an Economics major so I didn't take too many science classes aside from pre-med requirements. Overall, I didn't think the ochem series was very difficult. I think the hardest science class I took that actually required a lot of critical thinking and not just rote memorization was Genetics.

Otherwise, by far the hardest classes I took in undergrad was Econometrics and Forecasting in Business / Economics. That **** was fierce.

Reformation and counter-reformation. 28 years later I still have no idea what the course title means. This was pre YouTube and pre google. In fact I should google it.

Reformation and counter-reformation. 28 years later I still have no idea what the course title means. This was pre YouTube and pre google. In fact I should google it.

Preyourube? Pregoogle? Wtf

Reformation of what? Christianity?

ochem 1 and 2 over the same summer. not eased up because of shortened time. luckily made As in both but it was so tough

Composition I freshman year... was my only B in college.

Slept through high school history class?

Reformation - Wikipedia
I assumed it was the Protestant Reformation (which is why I qualified it with "Christianity?"), which I am quite familiar with due to my faith, but I was open to the idea that there may have been some kind of reformation in another wildly different field that I don't know much about, which is why I asked.

But to answer your question, yes I often slept through history class. :p

Phylogenetics of Cancer. I had to take a graduate level elective and it was the only one that fit into my class schedule. I loved it though.

My school had a notoriously difficult Ochem sequence for pre-meds. It sucked something fierce, although, at the end my grade wasn't super great but that section on the MCAT was a breeze and was my second highest section because of those classes. So I guess it worked out.
Heh, my university is the opposite. Go to class, do the assigned problems, set for an A in Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 pretty much. Did not feel super prepared for the MCAT on orgo stuff.

I assumed it was the Protestant Reformation (which is why I qualified it with "Christianity?"), which I am quite familiar with due to my faith, but I was open to the idea that there may have been some kind of reformation in another wildly different field that I don't know much about, which is why I asked.

But to answer your question, yes I often slept through history class. :p

Big lecture hall and glasses would help but not with the inevitable snoring.

Presumably you took the pre-2015 MCAT where OChem was a much bigger part of the exam.

Nowadays, OChem is a much smaller part of the MCAT.

I was pre-med for all of ten mins in undergrad. Orgo disabused me of the notion, and thank Gawd, because med school would have done this to me:
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Modern British Literature or Intro to Art History. I can study hard and get an A in almost anything rational, but I just couldn't seem to think or write the way these classes wanted me to. My Calc III and Biophysical Chem courses were tough, but at least I knew how to achieve what was expected of me.

Orgo Lab. 4 credit, 2-in-1 semester course with 8 hours of lab every week and 1 hour of lecture. That was the craziest class I ever took.

Orgo Lab. 4 credit, 2-in-1 semester course with 8 hours of lab every week and 1 hour of lecture. That was the craziest class I ever took.
They offer the entire ochem series at my school lasting approximately 9 weeks. I believe those students have to endure 12 hours of lab per week along with 6 hours of lecture. I have mad respect for friends who did the entire series like that! It's cool to just get it over with but damn...

They offer the entire ochem series at my school lasting approximately 9 weeks. I believe those students have to endure 12 hours of lab per week along with 6 hours of lecture. I have mad respect for friends who did the entire series like that! It's cool to just get it over with but damn...

Wow. I couldn’t handle Orgo I in six weeks with three hours of lecture twice a week. The professor was supposedly good but I struggled. Mad respect for those students

Physics 1 was a hellscape for me. I felt like the dumbest person in the class and would study for HOURS with minimal results. Also, inorganic chemistry was a mess. After my final exam, I had a dream (nightmare) in which I had to sit the exam again except every question related to molecular orbital theory and drawing that stupid diagram.

Last edited: