What's the hardest class you have ever taken in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is to all the premeds, med students and adcoms. I'm curious what everyone's most difficult class in college was? Which class caused you to study the most, and really REALLY made it difficult for you to do well?

For me, I'd personally say it was Organic chemistry I. I just couldn't think properly I guess haha. What about y'all?

Members don't see this ad.

This is to all the premeds, med students and adcoms. I'm curious what everyone's most difficult class in college was? Which class caused you to study the most, and really REALLY made it difficult for you to do well?

For me, I'd personally say it was Organic chemistry I. I just couldn't think properly I guess haha. What about y'all?

Orgo I in part because I opted to take the hard orgo prof and in part because I needlessly overloaded courses that semester. But I stuck it out and did really well in Orgo II, which was taught by the same professor.

@chemdoctor Does SDN allow posters to name themselves chemdoctor if they didn't ace Orgo I?

So far Orgo I (overloaded as well that semester) and microbiology which is one of the hardest sciences at my university outside of orgo

Members don't see this ad :)
Combinatorics for sure; I had never worked so hard in a class before.

Reactions: 1 users
Introduction to mathematical analysis. Gave up midway through and took the A- (didn't deserve it, easy professor). New found respect for mathematicians after that. Pure abstract mathematical logic is no joke.

Class I worked the hardest in: Classical Mechanics: Dynamics. Felt like an actual physicist after that. Pretty much two classes in one due to the breadth of data analysis and lab report writing along with constant homework and hard ass problems.

Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry

Reactions: 1 user
Orgo I in part because I opted to take the hard orgo prof and in part because I needlessly overloaded courses that semester. But I stuck it out and did really well in Orgo II, which was taught by the same professor.

@chemdoctor Does SDN allow posters to name themselves chemdoctor if they didn't ace Orgo I?

LOL I did really well in Orgo II as well. Different professor though.

And alas, chemistry does not only refer to Organic haha. Also, my research is in Organic Chemistry too ;)

It was sadly sociology. My professor was about 90 years old and just an overall unpleasant man. I read on RateMyProfessor a comment that said “every morning I hope to be hit by a bus so I don’t have to be around Professor ____” and I didn’t heed that warning and regretted it greatly.

Reactions: 3 users
Biochem by far. Didn’t help that I couldn’t understand professor’s accent whatsoever..

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic chemistry in undergrad

Med school neuroscience was brutal.

Spanish

Reactions: 4 users
Pushed brain to limit: Organic chem I with Dr. J Ponder. He would write exams that most people would barely finish half of during the allotted time. Averages were as low as 30s-40s. None of it was recall/memory points, all problem solving.

Consumed most hours: Upper level neurophysiology laboratory. Made us write up our in-lab results in manuscript format. Took way too much time.

Most impossible to reliably do well: "Art and the Mind-Brain". I swear he assigned grades to essays by rolling dice.

Physical Chemistry I :confused:

it's either any upper level math course or upper level physics course for me. really hard homework problems and very difficult exams. averages in exams were usually in 50s-70s and these are math, physics and engineering majors.

Calc 2. That class was hell (mostly due to the professor, I think), I worked my butt off and got an 88%. But hey, I learned a lot about myself and how to work hard, so no regrets on picking the professor I did.

Reactions: 2 users
He would write exams that most people would barely finish half of during the allotted time. Averages were as low as 30s-40s. None of it was recall/memory points, all problem solving.

I've been in classes like that too. It's impossible to differentiate between who studied and worked hard and who didn't because everyone doesn't know the material, making the prepared and unprepared on more equal grounds.

Calculus 2 for engineers.

For whatever reason genetics sucked for me, even though a lot of it seemed like statistics and i destroyed that class.

Never had had to study so hard for a B- lol

Man some really interesting answers. For me, it’d definitely be organic I. Even harder than Biochemistry tbh.

There was an art class I had to take which was terrible. I did well in all the maths tho...

Also didn’t like taxonomy bio *shudders*

I thought orgo was ok if you put the work in.

For me, the hardest class I took was American Literature. For Pete sakes, sometimes the drapes are just blue. I got a B in that class (only by the grace of my excellent test taking skills), when I was trying to prove to myself I was good enough to get an A. I just can't fully grasp literature. The funny thing is that now I write fiction as a hobby. :laugh:

Writing classes always suck. They’re so professor dependent. I had a professor that gave me an A- and I thought my essays were pretty good. The following semester, my essays were trash and I got over 100 in the class. Just goes to show

English comp. Hardest class ever. Grading was subjective. It was the only class I ever had where if you followed the rubric completely, you would get a B. The TA said an A grade was dependent on impressing him. Orgo wasn't that difficult for me. Overhyped
Same English Comp 2 is the only class I ever got a C in. But English is also my second language, so that didn't help either besides the fact that I do not like to write long 10 to 25 page papers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Digital Programming for Video Games. My brain was not meant to think that way. Micro almost gave me a run for my money, too.

Orgo was child's play compared to PChem...holy schnikes that class was absurd

Reactions: 3 users
UG: Multi-Component Engineering Thermodynamics and Organic Structure Determination
MSc: Theoretical Organic Chemistry --> came to terms that I was just a chemistry dabbler not a real organic chemist lol

I can't be the only one that actually enjoyed organic chemistry at least compared to other prereqs. Honestly much better than my current biochem class where we just had a 30 question test over 9 chapters.

Only a second-year - but I hope I can still chime in:
Hardest class to conceptually understand is orgo I
The class that requires the most effort is intro physics 1

Biochemistry of micromolecules.

Memorizing every.. single.. enzyme..

My professor would write exams that you would literally have to know the answer immediately after reading to have enough time to write a thorough enough answer to receive full credit. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, there was never any multiple choice - and it was always critical thinking questions. If you didn't study enough and had to think a bit for a question then you may as well assume you're gonna have to leave a question blank.

The first exam I left a huge portion blank because I was utterly unprepared for the exam format

Finished with a low A - most proud I ever was in undergrad.

Last edited:
Man some really interesting answers. For me, it’d definitely be organic I. Even harder than Biochemistry tbh.

There was an art class I had to take which was terrible. I did well in all the maths tho...

Also didn’t like taxonomy bio *shudders*

Did you ever take upper division abstract algebra or any of the upper division analysis courses? I did well in all of them, but those upper division math courses are hard AF.

I actually found organic to not be too difficult. It was harder than gen chem for sure, but not terrible. I don’t ever want to take it again though.

I find organic chemistry actually fun, and rather easier compared to General Chemistry.. The labs are fun as well. The hardest class I think is Evolutionary Biology.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one that actually enjoyed organic chemistry at least compared to other prereqs. Honestly much better than my current biochem class where we just had a 30 question test over 9 chapters.
I loved orgo and biochem. The hardest class I've ever taken was a 4 credit mammalian physiology course, but it was also my favorite.

Physics I and II. I have always struggled with things involving math. Physics clobbered me. I have never worked harder on any class in my life. I took both during separate summers, and spent 6-8 hours every day on the material. I got As though...but probably lost a little sanity.

PChem by far. I like to call it Gen Chem on steroids

Einstein's theory on relatives. It was hard.

Hardest class based on material: Organic Chemistry. I felt lost the entire year.

Hardest class based on how the professor taught it: Anatomy & Physiology at community college taught by a retired ER doctor from Loma Linda. I’ve never worked so hard for a class in my life.

Hardest class based on a jerk professor who didn’t acutally teach anything: Physics II.

Hardest class based on material: Organic Chemistry. I felt lost the entire year.

Hardest class based on how the professor taught it: Anatomy & Physiology at community college taught by a retired ER doctor from Loma Linda. I’ve never worked so hard for a class in my life.

Hardest class based on a jerk professor who didn’t acutally teach anything: Physics II.

I wonder why that professor taught at CC and not at a university.

I wonder why that professor taught at CC and not at a university.
No idea, he’s adjunct, not full time faculty though. I left the school in 2015, and as of spring semester he’s still on the schedule according to some I know there. Maybe just something to do in retirement?