What's up with Caribbean Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard from an adcom this weekend at a healthcare fair that if you go overseas be sure to look at match rates. He said there are ~17,500 spots for MD residents each year and the US MD schools fill ~15,000 of them so there are only ~2500 allopathic residencies available to the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from an adcom this weekend at a healthcare fair that if you go overseas be sure to look at match rates. He said there are ~17,500 spots for MD residents each year and the US MD schools fill ~15,000 of them so there are only ~2500 allopathic residencies available to the rest.

This assumes that the match does US med schools first, then gives the leftover spots to the offshores. It doesn't exactly work that way - everyone is competing for all the spots, not the leftovers. However it does basically tend to work out this way in practice, as a far far greater percentage of US med students match. (None of your numbers are accurate BTW).

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually there's one more reason I wanted to add to that list:

5. They are not US Citizens or Permanent residents but want to still get US licensing and the island schools offer them a route to do that if they don't get in the limited number of schools that take international students.

6. They had some bias against the DO idea...(gotta have that "MD" thing).

what uk schools are you talking about? the only one i know of is st. chris, which hasnt been doing all that well lately . . .

Forget 3rd choice.....this is how I would rank the options:
1-US Allopathic
2-Osteopathic
3-Irish medical schools
4-UK medical schools
5-Israeli medical schools
6-German medical schools (for those with the language skills)
7-Caribbean medical schools.

Irish medical schools ahead of UK med schools? Blasphemy!