whats your rank list? based on interviews you have so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2usc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats your rank list based on interviews you have so far?
It will be fun to compare now to January after we have more info about programs.

Here's mine as of now:

1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. The Brigham
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Cedars
7. Harbor

Won't attend the interview or rank:UPENN, U of Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Beth Isreal, USC

Haven't heard from yet but will rank if I get the interview: MGH, UW, UCSD, Duke

Members don't see this ad.

ucla2usc said:
It will be fun to compare now to January after we have more info about programs.

Here's mine as of now:

1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. The Brigham
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Cedars
7. Harbor

Won't attend the interview or rank:UPENN, U of Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Beth Isreal, USC

Haven't heard from yet but will rank if I get the interview: MGH, UW, UCSD, Duke

your not going to attend your interviews at UPenn, UChicago, Columbia, and Cornell? dude, can i have one or two of them? ;)

mine might look something like this (this is soooo hypothetical)

1. U Michigan
2. UCLA
3. Wash U (St. Louis)
4. Northwestern
5. Emory
6. damn, this is a tough question
7. this is hurting my brain
8. wait, i'm gonna have to do this for real soon?
9. oh my god, freaking out.

places i would most definitely interview/rank if offered:
UCSF, Stanford, U Chicago, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Cornell, Columbia, Duke, Penn

as you can see, its waaay too early for me to be doing this... there are too many places that i haven't heard from, all of which could displace any on my list, or any of which might not, if i am disenchanted after the visit.

OK, I'll play. Here's mine so far:

1. UW
2. Colorado
3. UCLA
4. OHSU
5. Duke
6. BID
7. Cornell
8. Mt. Sinai
9. NYU

But it's very tentative, especially the order of #2-6, and if on the interview day a place seems to have unhappy residents it's coming off the list

Will not attend interview or rank: UTSW, Baylor, Virginia Mason, Providence Portland, Providence St. Vincent

Will not accept if offered an interview: UCD

Will accept & likely rank if offered an interview: UCSF, UCSD, MGH, BWH, Stanford, Columbia (and if I get Columbia I'll cancel NYU)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for fun.

1. UW
2. Stanford
3. Vanderbilt
4. Mayo-Rochester
5. NW
6. Baylor
7. Pitt
8. NYU
9. Emory
10. Tufts
11. Brown
12. Dartmouth

Still waiting to hear from >10 schools.

My first interview is on Friday so this is a wee tentative (except for #1 which I'm very sure about... I guess that's all that matters, huh? :)).

1. U of Colorado
2. U of Michigan
3. Wash U
4. U Wash
5. Northwestern

I'm still waiting to hear from U Chicago, UCSF, and OHSU.

BBB, I would you mind giving me your Baylor, if you're not gonna go? ;)

Here's my tentative list, thus far:

1. Columbia
2. UCLA
3. Northwestern
4. UT Southwestern
5. Cedars Sinai
6. Harbor-UCLA
7. USC
8. Rush (very likely will decline interview)

Still waiting to hear on ~15 other programs.

1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. Cedars-Sinai
4. Harbor-UCLA

Will not interview/rank: UCI, Kaiser-SF

Awaiting: Stanford (would be #2 between UCSF and UCLA), B&W (after UCLA), MGH (after UCLA but before B&W)

If I got 2/3 from my "Awaiting" list, Harbor would get bumped of my ROL

All 3 and Cedars would get bumped too

phatfarm said:
1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. Cedars-Sinai
4. Harbor-UCLA

Will not interview/rank: UCI, Kaiser-SF

Awaiting: Stanford (would be #2 between UCSF and UCLA), B&W (after UCLA), MGH (after UCLA but before B&W)

If I got 2/3 from my "Awaiting" list, Harbor would get bumped of my ROL

All 3 and Cedars would get bumped too

I don't understand the logic behind this. If you don't receive interview offers from the Brigham and MGH you'd rank Cedars-Sinan and Harbor, meaning you'd be willing/happy to match there, otherwise you shouldn't rank them at all, right? But if you DID get interviews from the Boston programs then you say you wouldn't even rank Cedars and Harbor. Why not??? That doesn't make sense to me.

Given that many of these are top programs, you could very well not match at UCSF, UCLA, the Brigham, MGH, or Stanford, so why would you remove Cedars and Harbor from your list just because you got an interview offer from a couple top Boston programs? Isn't it better to match at #6 or 7, which you'd be happy joining, instead of scrambling at who knows where? You should rank every program you'd be willing to join. Or am I missing/misinterpreting something here?

TommyGunn04 said:
I don't understand the logic behind this. If you don't receive interview offers from the Brigham and MGH you'd rank Cedars-Sinan and Harbor, meaning you'd be willing/happy to match there, otherwise you shouldn't rank them at all, right? But if you DID get interviews from the Boston programs then you say you wouldn't even rank Cedars and Harbor. Why not??? That doesn't make sense to me.

Given that many of these are top programs, you could very well not match at UCSF, UCLA, the Brigham, MGH, or Stanford, so why would you remove Cedars and Harbor from your list just because you got an interview offer from a couple top Boston programs? Isn't it better to match at #6 or 7, which you'd be happy joining, instead of scrambling at who knows where? You should rank every program you'd be willing to join. Or am I missing/misinterpreting something here?

exactly! this is kind of what i was trying to say in a previous discussion about how many to rank. in my (humble) opinion, any program that you legitimately would be happy at, should end up on your rank list. as long as you are 100% SURE that you would be happy at the program, there is no harm in adding it to the bottom of the list. there IS potential harm in leaving these programs off a list, especially if your top 4 choices or so are ultra-competitive places. so, if Cedars and Harbor are places that you like, then why not keep them on at 6 and 7.

Zolpidem25 said:
exactly! this is kind of what i was trying to say in a previous discussion about how many to rank. in my (humble) opinion, any program that you legitimately would be happy at, should end up on your rank list. as long as you are 100% SURE that you would be happy at the program, there is no harm in adding it to the bottom of the list. there IS potential harm in leaving these programs off a list, especially if your top 4 choices or so are ultra-competitive places. so, if Cedars and Harbor are places that you like, then why not keep them on at 6 and 7.

it's called karma...what you wish, you might end up getting ;)

TommyGunn04 said:

TommyGunn,
You raise a number of good points but the one thing I haven't included in my rationale is how previously years have done in the match. We have a fairly good match rate amongst some of the big guns in Boston. I also have contacts with the Brigham that I have not called in yet, but should be fairly helpful should I not get an interview by myself. Furthermore, I have the advantage of having a friend in the class before me at my medical school, with very very similar stats (same exact grades, similar LORs, similar Step 1) with interviews at MGH, B&W, Stanford, UCLA, UCLA-Harbor, Cedars-Sinai and all the top NY programs, but not UCSF. Wound up with #2 choice - UCLA. Given all the above information, I feel *comfortable* that I will be ok ranking the way that I outlined.

If I didn't get any love from Boston + Stanford, I'd be worried about something fundamentally wrong with my application and would buffer the ROL accordingly.

ucla2usc said:

Here's mine as of now:

1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. The Brigham
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Cedars
7. Harbor

Out of curiosity, and if you have time to kill (same to anyone responding to this thread), care to describe your personal logic in the rankings? I understand that the perfect program for one may be the nightmare of another....... I would just be interested to know what is *the* major selling point for you for each of the programs listed.

-PB

PickyBicky said:
Out of curiosity, and if you have time to kill (same to anyone responding to this thread), care to describe your personal logic in the rankings? I understand that the perfect program for one may be the nightmare of another....... I would just be interested to know what is *the* major selling point for you for each of the programs listed.

-PB

Location is probably the #1 consideration. The significant other is a huge influence and we've talked about our future and feel that California is the best possible place for us. Northern Cal >> Southern Cal for personal reasons. On my list, all places have awesome fellowship match statistics so that is not as much of a consideration. Of course, the interview will be really important for me to see which programs feels best to me. That could mix things up a bit. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
This entire thread strikes me as extremely silly. How can any of you have any clue what your ROL will look like at this stage? I'm not about to try to rank programs based on their reputation, or even based on what I've heard from folks who are there. Until you visit the program, how do you know whether or not you'd be happy there? Other than my home institution and the 2 other hospitals on my list at which I've rotated, I have no clue if/where the others will end up. I applied to all of them because I think they're the best places for what I want (based on what I know of them), but I won't know until I've interviewed.

Butter Pecan said:
This entire thread strikes me as extremely silly. How can any of you have any clue what your ROL will look like at this stage? I'm not about to try to rank programs based on their reputation, or even based on what I've heard from folks who are there. Until you visit the program, how do you know whether or not you'd be happy there? Other than my home institution and the 2 other hospitals on my list at which I've rotated, I have no clue if/where the others will end up. I applied to all of them because I think they're the best places for what I want (based on what I know of them), but I won't know until I've interviewed.

True, but it's interesting to see where people want to go based on factors other than academic reputation. Of course, we all have no clue because most of us haven't finished interviewing yet. I thought it would be cool to see people's preferences based on all their gut feelings, that's all.

PickyBicky said:

-PB
Location (I'm from socal) has everything to do with it...that's why my top 3 are Cali's top 3, then I start looking at the big guns out east (BWH, JHU) and finally back up with great local community programs I'd be happy at (Cedars). Realistically I will change my list by January, as most will, but it will be interesting to see how interview experiences change the rank list for each of us. Lastly, it was reassuring to put together a list I can live with.

In response to PickyBicky's question...

Important factors to me at this stage include: (1) location - prefer larger cities, west coast>east coast, w/good job opportunities for my husband, would like to buy a house; (2) strength of clinical training and overall reputation; (3) strength of Pulm/CC dept and fellowship placement; and (4) happiness of residents

1. UW - Seattle is, far and away, #1 for location. UW has arguably the best training & reputation among those I've heard from. Top-notch Pulm/CC dept.

These 5 are equal in my mind, each with various strengths/weaknesses:
2. Colorado - excellent Pulm/CC dept; ? reputation; ? quality of training; good location
3. UCLA - great rep, training, and fellowship placement; ? unhappy residents; location OK but not great
4. OHSU - great teaching & happy residents; ? reputation & fellowship options; excellent location
5. Duke - excellent rep, research, and fellowship placement; ? location (supposedly great for my husband's career, could buy a house, ? too small)
6. BID - good rep & fellowships; reportedly happy residents; ? location (Boston's great, not sure the program is good enough to justify living on the east coast)

The NYC programs will probably make up the bottom of my list. We like Manhattan but only Columbia and perhaps Cornell have reputation/training sufficient to make up for being on the east coast. Columbia is malignant while Cornell lacks autonomy.

Of those I haven't heard from yet:
-UCSF would probably be 2nd after UW d/t more overpriced location further from family/friends
-MGH/BWH would be high for obvious reasons, but not sure how I'd choose between them and west coast programs like OHSU
-UCSD would be about equal w/OHSU as it's in a favorite city but isn't as strong as other programs on the list
-No clue what I'd do with Stanford

Butter Pecan said:

Um, it's just for fun. Sometimes fun is silly. Everybody is ranking programs to some degree, even at this stage, by choosing to apply to them and then deciding which interviews to take, etc.

Anyway, I'm skeptical about how much can really be learned about a program in just a short interview day, so it might be interesting to note if things change very much based on our interviews.

Colorado is home. I know the program and the residents very well and it's an exceptionally strong program - the location makes it quite competitive. Also, I want to do hospitalist medicine and CU has the only real track in the nation right now.

The others are based on where I wouldn't mind living -- they are all very good programs and I'm sure I'll have great training at all of them.

Butter Pecan said:

....but don't tell me you haven't even on some superficial level thought about it? I seriously don't have the slightest clue what my real ROL will look like for the same reasons, but this is fun anyway :p

1) U Colo (Pulm./CC Dept, family in area)
2) BWH (word of mouth and yes reputation plus Boston area)
3) UMich (like academic schedule, area)
4) JHU (acutally don't mind Baltimore!)
5) Uchicago (word of mouth from prev. student from my med school)
6) Duke (cheaper, good fellow placement, like the academic schedule)
7) UVA (gorgeous area, liveable)
8) BU (boston- lots 'o autonomy pretty good fellow placement)
9) OHSU (b/c of portland basically)
10) Northwestern (another good chitown program)
11) UMD (required reasearch component my get me off my lazy can...)
...and I'll guess I'll just see about the others!

Would rank (somewhere) if interview offered: UW, UPENN

Looking back at my original response to this thread, it sounds (even to me) pretty humorless and annoying. So I apologize to anyone I may have upset. I guess I'm just a little peeved because I'm so unsure of where I want to go, and I feel like it's impossible to know before visiting programs. But of course I have preliminary thoughts like everybody else, so I'll play the game.....

1. Vandy
2. UNC
3. UVA
4. UAB
5. Duke

1. Mayo - Rochester Great program, cheap living. cons- cold weather.
2. U of M - Close to home, great program. Cons: weather
3. Mayo - Jacksonville good program, great weather!!
4. BU - great city, good program, bad weather
5. UNC - good program good weather (cept for hurricanes)
6. CWRU - close to home but crappy city
7. Cleveland clinic - same
8. Beaumont - close to home, good comunity program with good cards fellowship
9. UC irvine - nice weather, weaker program expensive living
10. Yale - Bridgeport - don't know much about, smaller program

Much to learn about every program I will interview at!!!!

Tough decisions coming up (kind of, its not like we really "decide")

TommyGunn04 said:

TommyGunn,
After speaking with a few people, I will be ranking Cedars and UCLA-Harbor. It would be presumptuous for me to feel that I will be matching to one of those super competitive programs. Just had to let you know that you were right!

P.F.

A little change at the top..

1. Baylor (Houston)
2. UTSW (close second)
3. Columbia
4. Northwestern
5. UCLA
6. Cedars Sinai
7. Harbor-UCLA
8. USC
9. Rush

Still waiting on about another dozen programs...

Congrats to all that received MGH today - you guys rock! :thumbup:

My premature thoughts on ROL

1) MGH (Because I have a much lesser chance of being ranked here)
2) the Brigham (see number 1)
3) Penn - Strong for Cards experience during residency; it's Penn; talked to person from my school who's kinda like me and he likes his experience there thus far
4) Yale New-Haven - Still would like to taste the flavor of New England for a change
5) University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh native
6) Emory - Got family down in Georgia, my cousin is a hospitalist who works there and trained there, and continues to love it, plus great interview experience. Further down on list because it's Georgia and I'd prefer to stay in the Northeast
7) Allegheny General Hospital - See number 5
8) Brown - eh... Northeast I guess
9) U Chicago - Good school, have family in Chicago as well. Also lower on rank list because it's not in the northeast.
10) Northwestern - heard program was kinda malignant and not necessarily the best for clinical training, although pretty good academically
11) ? JHU/Bayview

Will probably not rank: JHU/Sinai, St. Elizabeth's Health Center
Will probably cancel interview: Thomas Jefferson
Got rejected by: JHU :p poo on them
Still pending: Duke and BID
Did not apply: Further west than Chicago or further south than Atlanta, and no New York..weird, but hey, aren't we all?

This is just speculation about how I'll feel at programs, etc - but for me I either want to be very close to family (Philly/Jersey) or stay where I am. Based on how I am feeling at this moment it would go a little something like this:
1. Penn
2. Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. Stanford
5. UMDNJ-RWJ
6. NYU

Not sure if I will attend interview/rank: UTSW, Jefferson

Rejected by: MGH, BWH. BWH would probably be #5 and MGH would be #6. Mostly b/c of location. I'm not super crazy about Boston (neither is my wife) and my wife and I want to go somewhere close to family and friends.

The top 3 are likely not going to get bumped down, although the order may change after I interview.

I know it's premature, but right now it's probably...

1. Stanford
2. Columbia
3. Cornell
4. Baylor or UTSW (tie)
6. Northwestern
7. UCLA
8 Cedars
9. Harbor-UCLA
10 USC
11. Rush (cancelled)

-Q

I guess I will play too, although my mind wavers every few minutes...

1. MGH
2. B/W
3. JHU
4. Columbia
5. Penn
6. Cornell
7. Yale
8. Bidmc
9. Mt sinai
10. NYU
11. Jefferson
12. Stanford
13. Brown vs emory (the other one would be ranked next but i am too lazy to renumber)
14. BU
15. Tufts
16. UMDNJ - Newark
17. Upitt
18. U of Chicago
19. montefiore
20. umdnj - rwjms
21. nymc st vincents
22. nymc westchester med
23. UCLA (will likely not attend)
24. Cedars (will likely not attend)

have not heard from duke or ucsf...if ucsf comes it will go above stanford i think, and duke...i guess above ucsf

this is all VERY up in the air, and all of them could be totally mixed if I fall in love with some programs

Hey all,

I thought it was curious how, out of so many competitive candidates, only two currently consider MGH as their top pick? I was actually a little surprised to read that.

Just an observation. :D Congratulations to all of you-- it seems your interviews are everything a 4th year could dream of.

I have such a hard time with the "mental rank list" that i've been pondering since interviews started coming in. Right now it would go something like this

1. MGH (love boston, great reputation, ?malignant, don't like the cold)
2. Cornell (want to be in NYC, happy residents, ?autonomy)
3. Emory (very similar to home program which i love, atlanta seems fun)
4. UC Denver (see above...good skiing)
5. NYU (want to be in NYC but don't know if I want to do all my own blood draws)
6. Baylor (home school...love it but ready for a change)

Still waiting on UW, UCSD, Columbia and Sinai

Still devastated by rejection from The Brigham...was my #1

All this will probably change based on interview experiences...which starts tomorrow at Denver... I'm psyched to learn more about these programs!

Hm, I'm looking at a rank list of a max of 4 programs...

1. U of Colorado
2. U of Michigan
3-4 Northwestern vs UW

Definitely not going to rank WashU. Still deciding if I want to go to OHSU.

GIMed said:
I have such a hard time with the "mental rank list" that i've been pondering since interviews started coming in. Right now it would go something like this

5. NYU (want to be in NYC but don't know if I want to do all my own blood draws)
I seem to remember Ben Taub was pretty much similar to Grady Hospital at Emory in terms of being resident run; you might be a little disappointed by the level of autonomy at Cornell (I think it would be like being at Baylor's Methodist Hospital for 3 years). However, Cornell has a good reputation and the name would help you with fellowships since it is in the Northeast. I don't perceive MGH as being any more malignant than the other "short white coat" programs and the name would also help you do well for fellowships.

Just an observation (not trying to badmouth any programs):

I am surprised that so many of you are ranking colorado so high. When I interviewed there 2 years ago the program was really in disarray. They had just forced out the old chairman of IM and the faculty had split over the decision and were leaving in droves. They must have really turned it around.
At least that is the way I remember it.

Whoever said that you will completely change your list after you interview is right on track though.

bbart76 said:
I seem to remember Ben Taub was pretty much similar to Grady Hospital at Emory in terms of being resident run; you might be a little disappointed by the level of autonomy at Cornell (I think it would be like being at Baylor's Methodist Hospital for 3 years). However, Cornell has a good reputation and the name would help you with fellowships since it is in the Northeast. I don't perceive MGH as being any more malignant than the other "short white coat" programs and the name would also help you do well for fellowships.

I heart the Taub....It is why I want to go into medicine....Which is why I am sure I will really like Grady. I'm interested to see how Denver Health is. I heard its smaller with fewer resources. Ben Taub is such a monster but still so new and relatively nice compared to most county hospitals and has every resource you can imagine (although your patient may wait weeks for access to them)...It will be interesting to check out the other county hospitals throughout the country.

Bigtuna, the program has really turned around in the last few years (I'm a med student there). I'm not sure what faculty left -- all the big renal and pulmonary/crit care people (U Colorado's strongest areas) are still there.

GI, I think they give a tour of Denver Health. It's not bad -- most of medicine is done in the brand new wing now which is very modern. IIRC it's one of the few county hospitals in the nation that's actually able to turn a profit. Denver has a huge illegal population so dispo is always a big issue. Even if you hate it, you rotate through 5 hospitals and chances are you'll be gone in a month and not see DH again for half a year.

GIMed said:
I heart the Taub....It is why I want to go into medicine....Which is why I am sure I will really like Grady. I'm interested to see how Denver Health is. I heard its smaller with fewer resources. Ben Taub is such a monster but still so new and relatively nice compared to most county hospitals and has every resource you can imagine (although your patient may wait weeks for access to them)...It will be interesting to check out the other county hospitals throughout the country.
If you liked Ben Taub, then you will also like Grady (Grady is like a larger Ben Taub but it seemed to have better resources in terms of ancillary services). When I interviewed at Emory I was impressed about how Grady had changed since I interviewed there for medical school; Emory is certainly worth a look if you want to move out of Houston into a similar cost of living (vs MGH, Cornell). No program I have been to compares to that uber VA you guys have in Houston.

BigBadBix said:
OK, I'll play. Here's mine so far:

1. UW
2. Colorado
3. UCLA
4. OHSU
5. Duke
6. BID
7. Cornell
8. Mt. Sinai
9. NYU

But it's very tentative, especially the order of #2-6, and if on the interview day a place seems to have unhappy residents it's coming off the list

Will not attend interview or rank: UTSW, Baylor, Virginia Mason, Providence Portland, Providence St. Vincent

Will not accept if offered an interview: UCD

Will accept & likely rank if offered an interview: UCSF, UCSD, MGH, BWH, Stanford, Columbia (and if I get Columbia I'll cancel NYU)

Why would you not interview or rank BAylor?

why would you rank UCLA over BID or Duke?

Since interview invites seem to be coming to a close, this is what I'm thinking pre-intervew...(I wonder how much it'll change after Jan)...

1. Columbia
2. Stanford
3. UT Southwestern
4. U. Washington
5. Baylor
6. Cornell
7. Northwestern
8. UCLA (it's my home school, but I wanna get out of LA)
9. Cedars Sinai
10. UT-Houston
11. Harbor-UCLA
12. OV-UCLA
13. USC - will decline interview
14. Rush - declined interview

An "average applicant"'s pre-interview and post-interview rank list from last year::)

1)BIDMC (rejected me)
2)BU
3)Brown
4)Dartmouth
5)Yale-New Haven PC
6) Maryland
7) Lahey/UMASS (at the time psyched on staying local)
8)Jefferson (declined due to travel issues)
9)Maine Med
10)UVM (declined)
11)Baystate

Also declined: GWU, Rochester, Pitt, NYMC-Westchester, St. V's-Manhattan, Albany Medical Center, G-town, RWJ, JHU-Bayview
Never heard from: UConn, Memorial of RI. Rejected by Mt. Sinai.
Wish I had applied to: UF (heard great things), UNM, Arizona

Actual rank list after interviews: 1)BU (wanted to change to #3 after ranking and hearing that their chairman was leaving for BWH, but turned out to be a moot point).
2)Brown (would have put #1)
3)UMASS-would have put #2
4)Yale
5)Maryland
6)Maine
7)Lahey
8)Dartmouth
9)Baystate
Interviewed but did not rank: Tufts-NEMC
Matched (as if no one on here knows this haha): UMASS :D

yobabydoc said:
Why would you not interview or rank BAylor?

Mainly just personal reasons. My husband and I are not that interested in Texas and would not want to live there long-term. I wouldn't mind trying it out for a few years, but my husband feels differently and I have a sufficient number of interviews in cities where he would be happier. He sacrificed quite a bit both personally and professionally when he moved with me for medical school, so I want to accommodate his needs this time around. Also, I have heard through the grapevine that Baylor doesn't have a very strong reputation outside of Texas. I was concerned that this might limit my fellowship opportunities. (Obviously, this is complete hearsay - I'm not trying to start a big debate here.)

DrNick2006 said:

Well, I wouldn't put too much stock in the exact order of my #2-6 on that particular list. I liked them all in different ways, so I had to be fairly arbitrary when putting them in rank order. But, to answer your question, my reasoning for UCLA over BID was that I like the west coast and I want to eventually practice there. I thought perhaps UCLA would give me a better chance at west coast fellowships. Duke was lower on the list b/c I like bigger cities, and Durham is pretty far from all our family & friends. I had also heard it was very hierarchical and had a formal atmosphere. I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted. Interestingly, though, my recent interview at Duke gave me a different perspective and it will probably move up on my list by the end of this whole process. So, if Duke is any indication, my list will probably look quite different by the end of this whole process.

DrNick2006 said:

Why wouldn't you rank UCLA over BIDC or Duke??? I thought they were are all close to the same caliber reputation and fellowship placement. Maybe I'm too Westcoastefied.

Revised

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. Harbor-UCLA
5. Cedars
6. MGH

I've lived in the cold most of my life. Northern Cal will do nicely!

ucla2usc said:
Why wouldn't you rank UCLA over BIDC or Duke??? I thought they were are all close to the same caliber reputation and fellowship placement. Maybe I'm to Westcoastefied.

I'm sorry, don't want to cause too much of a ruckus, but UCLA is on a different level from BID or Duke. I'd say UCLA is top 5. The other two, top 20.

GIMed said:

Still waiting on UW, UCSD, Columbia and Sinai

Still devastated by rejection from The Brigham...was my #1

All this will probably change based on interview experiences...which starts tomorrow at Denver... I'm psyched to learn more about these programs!

oh my god, I did a rotation at NYU, it seems like Bellevue has on anciallary staff....this is ludicrous...I was doing blood draws, ekgs and even urine dipsticks...I have no freakin clue how this is one of the top programs...I was doing more scut than writing differentials...such a waste of time :rolleyes:

quidnunc said:
Since interview invites seem to be coming to a close, this is what I'm thinking pre-intervew...(I wonder how much it'll change after Jan)...

1. Columbia
2. Stanford
3. UT Southwestern
4. U. Washington
5. Baylor
6. Cornell
7. Northwestern
8. UCLA (it's my home school, but I wanna get out of LA)
9. Cedars Sinai
10. UT-Houston
11. Harbor-UCLA
12. OV-UCLA
13. USC - will decline interview
14. Rush - declined interview

wow, what an impressive list...best of luck to you

phatfarm said:
I'm sorry, don't want to cause too much of a ruckus, but UCLA is on a different level from BID or Duke. I'd say UCLA is top 5. The other two, top 20.

Thats crazy talk, sure BID is the "lesser" of the harvard hospitals, but is still top 10, along with duke and UCLA, but UCLA is a much more difficult program to live through than BIDMC, not sure about Duke. I would rather be at UCSD than UCLA, great program, better city.