whats your rank list? based on interviews you have so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrNick2006 said:
Thats crazy talk, sure BID is the "lesser" of the harvard hospitals, but is still top 10, along with duke and UCLA, but UCLA is a much more difficult program to live through than BIDMC, not sure about Duke. I would rather be at UCSD than UCLA, great program, better city.

Easier doesn't mean better. I agree San Diego is a wonderful place to train. But UCLA still has a better reputation and a very good location as well. Maybe BID and Duke are just outside top 10, but not within the top 5.

And of course, everyone has their own opinions. No one should feel free to listen to mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you all get the rankings? I posted US News rankings below (2005) Are there some other ranking systems "out there"?

Internal Medicine Program Rankings
1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Harvard University (MA)
3. University of California–San Francisco
4. Duke University (NC)
5. University of Pennsylvania
6. Washington University in St. Louis
7. University of Washington
8. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
9. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center–Dallas
10. Stanford University (CA)
11. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
Yale University (CT)
13. University of Chicago (Pritzker)
14. University of California–Los Angeles (Geffen)
15. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)
16. Vanderbilt University (TN)
17. Mayo Medical School (MN)
18. Emory University (GA)
University of Alabama–Birmingham
University of California–San Diego
University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
22. University of Pittsburgh
23. University of Colorado–Denver and Health Sciences Center
University of Virginia
25. Baylor College of Medicine (TX)
Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL)
27. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

mangogurl said:
Where did you all get the rankings? I posted US News rankings below (2005) Are there some other ranking systems "out there"?
I have been using the Coaches and AP Top 25 poll; for me they are just as useful in ranking the medicine programs as the US News & World Report rankings...

Members don't see this ad :)
mangogurl said:

That doesn't sort out the BID debate..."Harvard University" doesn't have an internal medicine program. I'm sure MGH and BWH would fall in the top 5 but I just don't know about BID.

phatfarm said:
Easier doesn't mean better. I agree San Diego is a wonderful place to train. But UCLA still has a better reputation and a very good location as well. Maybe BID and Duke are just outside top 10, but not within the top 5.

i'm pretty far out from making any similar decision as y'all, but fyi i hear from a ucsd som alum who trained at ucla that ucla's hospitals simply have higher volume and more interesting cases than ucsd's.

just looked up how USNR did their rankings of specialties mainly because its a little odd that they called "harvard" a program...here is what they said:

Specialty Rankings: The rankings are based solely on ratings by medical school deans and senior faculty from the list of schools surveyed. They each identified up to 10 schools offering the best programs in each specialty area. Those receiving the most nominations appear here

from what I understand, this implies which medical schools have the best concentrations in a specialty, not which hospitals have the best residency training programs. I am always doubtful of USNR rankings...

to offer my two cents into this discussion, I think Bid drops into the top 15 schools, maybe top 10...I was talking to a girl from HMS on an interview about bid, and she told me that HMS students have a bias against the BI, and that they often dont do rotations there...its still a crazy strong program with awesome fellowship match, but may not get the recognition that BW and MGH get...however, remember residency ranking is different than med school ranking mainly cuz this is a job as well as a training program, and that numerous factors go into what makes a place desirable for one and not the other (i.e. location, resident "happiness" etc etc)...anyway, I always love to see how people rank top programs, mainly cuz im curious and want to know...please post opinions if you guys have em...

oh yeah and what is AP 25 and coaches ranking???

mangogurl said:

4. Duke University (NC)
Yale University (CT)
University of Virginia

Where is this ranking from? Mayo is number 17?!!

mangogurl said:

4. Duke University (NC)
Yale University (CT)
University of Virginia

Mango,
You appear to be from Duke. I didn't apply to the IM program there but would be interested to hear what your opinions of the IM dept there are.

Dr. Corday said:
Where is this ranking from? Mayo is number 17?!!

From our friends at US New and World Reports.

phatfarm said:
I'm sorry, don't want to cause too much of a ruckus, but UCLA is on a different level from BID or Duke. I'd say UCLA is top 5. The other two, top 20.

wow. balls. balls to the walls. you must have balls made of steel.

;) :D

bbart76 said:
I have been using the Coaches and AP Top 25 poll; for me they are just as useful in ranking the medicine programs as the US News & World Report rankings...

lol.... good one bart