When and how to contact PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amarysso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I have started the process of preparing to apply to Clinical PhD programs and am in the midst of finding researchers and mentors who would match my research interests. I have already found two professors whose research I am very interested in, however I dont know how i would go about contacting them. I am sure they get hundreds of emails and have more pressing work to address, so my question is, how do i make it pertinent? I unfortunately still lack research experience and am trying to find research assistant jobs in my field of interest. This lack of experience makes me feel like i wouldn't have much to mention in my email other than that i find their research very interesting and why i am interested in it/how it is relevant to my clinical work. I would greatly, greatly appreciate anyone experiences and honest feedback.

Thank you everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't contact anyone. Everyone is still in the midst of coordinating interviews and/or making decisions for the current cycle. They don't yet know who they will make offers to and who will accept them, thus they don't know if they will be accepting new students for the next cycle. Some don't even know how many students their programs can take for this cycle, because they don't precisely know how many students they will take with this cohort. It's just way too early to bother them.

Furthermore, if you lack any research experience at this stage and don't already have a job where you can gain this experience, you may not have much luck in the upcoming cycle. Unless you somehow get on some publications between now and December, less than one year probably won't be enough research experience to make you competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This lack of experience makes me feel like i wouldn't have much to mention in my email other than that i find their research very interesting and why i am interested in it/how it is relevant to my clinical work.

Your perception is accurate. If you have a genuine question about the PI's work, then go ahead and send an email (though do wait until after interview season, i.e., late spring). But if you're just making an introduction or asking for basic information that can be found on the PI's web page or elsewhere, then you risk making a less favorable impression.

With no research experience so far, you would not be a very competitive applicant for most programs. I would suggest getting some experience ASAP and applying in fall 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
Your perception is accurate. If you have a genuine question about the PI's work, then go ahead and send an email (though do wait until after interview season, i.e., late spring). But if you're just making an introduction or asking for basic information that can be found on the PI's web page or elsewhere, then you risk making a less favorable impression.

With no research experience so far, you would not be a very competitive applicant for most programs. I would suggest getting some experience ASAP and applying in fall 2018.

Thank you MamaPhD!! I figured as much. I appreciate the feedback about timing ( contacting in late spring) and am currently doing all i can to find research opportunities.

Do you happen to have any advice on where to look/how to find research opportunities? I have looked at hospitals thus far, but most seem to have university affiliations and take students directly from hose programs.

If i dont find anything, I will not apply this fall. Im not in it just for the title of a PhD, so I plan on taking my time to find the right professors and programs that match my interests and hopefully ensure getting the best experience possible given my future goals.

Don't contact anyone. Everyone is still in the midst of coordinating interviews and/or making decisions for the current cycle. They don't yet know who they will make offers to and who will accept them, thus they don't know if they will be accepting new students for the next cycle. Some don't even know how many students their programs can take for this cycle, because they don't precisely know how many students they will take with this cohort. It's just way too early to bother them.

Furthermore, if you lack any research experience at this stage and don't already have a job where you can gain this experience, you may not have much luck in the upcoming cycle. Unless you somehow get on some publications between now and December, less than one year probably won't be enough research experience to make you competitive.

Thanks psych.meout , I appreciate the advice. At least now, I have confirmation that research needs to be my #1 priority and that I am not mistaken in feeling like I should perhaps wait a year before applying. I'd love to know of any advice you ay have on how to go about finding a research job.

Maybe taking a statistics class at a university?

Thanks WisNeuro. There's a lot of pertinent info on the thread. I'll take my time "digging me teeth into it". I want to make sure Ive crossed my t's and dotted my i's as much as possible. A 6 year commitment is no joke and I need to be sure that the decisions i am making are the right ones for me - which begins with exploring my research area in more depth and seeing whether it is truly as engaging as I hope.

Thanks psych.meout , I appreciate the advice. At least now, I have confirmation that research needs to be my #1 priority and that I am not mistaken in feeling like I should perhaps wait a year before applying. I'd love to know of any advice you ay have on how to go about finding a research job.

Maybe taking a statistics class at a university?
Have you ever taken any research methods or stats courses before? If you haven't those might be good starts in both getting some required classes completed and finding research work, even if it's just volunteering.

Have you ever taken any research methods or stats courses before? If you haven't those might be good starts in both getting some required classes completed and finding research work, even if it's just volunteering.
Yes I have taken stats and research methods at both the undergraduate and graduate level. I had to take two courses explaining research proposals, formats, ethics/informed consent etc, and IRB regulations for my masters degree in mental health counseling..I just figured maybe that would be a way to reach faculty better

Do you happen to have any advice on where to look/how to find research opportunities? I have looked at hospitals thus far, but most seem to have university affiliations and take students directly from hose programs.

Have you applied for any of these positions? For some research assistant jobs - anything that involves interviewing or other direct patient contact - then your master's in counseling might be an asset. Look broadly, not just in psychology/psychiatry departments but also in public health, pediatrics, family medicine, etc. - a research position in any type of behavioral science project is a good start.

Have you applied for any of these positions? For some research assistant jobs - anything that involves interviewing or other direct patient contact - then your master's in counseling might be an asset. Look broadly, not just in psychology/psychiatry departments but also in public health, pediatrics, family medicine, etc. - a research position in any type of behavioral science project is a good start.

That's great advice!! I was afraid of broadening the net. I will definitely look into those because I am already volunteering at a children's hospital so hopefully I can find somethings through there.

Thanks again for the advice and follow up, I greatly appreciate it!