When applying? June 1st or after MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly am not sure what I am going to get on my MCATS--I am hoping for a 34-37, but sometimes this is a crapshoot I know. I also understand the importance of applying early.

I am thinking that I will apply to half of my schools right at June 1st. I'll apply to the easier ones (safeties and mild reaches) and then hold off on the long reaches until I get my scores, b/c if I do not do well on the MCATs then I won't even apply possibly, and instead add more safeties.

What are you guys going to do? Does my strategy sound fine?

Members don't see this ad.

str8flexed said:
I honestly am not sure what I am going to get on my MCATS--I am hoping for a 34-37, but sometimes this is a crapshoot I know. I also understand the importance of applying early.

I am thinking that I will apply to half of my schools right at June 1st. I'll apply to the easier ones (safeties and mild reaches) and then hold off on the long reaches until I get my scores, b/c if I do not do well on the MCATs then I won't even apply possibly, and instead add more safeties.

That's a sound strategy. I would apply to schools that you know you would apply to regardless what your MCAT scores are. That ensures that you get the AMCAS to those schools as soon as possible. Save the rest for until you get your scores.

And what is your definition of well...? Even if you get under a 34, you can apply to many schools (what you consider safety schools). That's the strategy I'm following.

Well, my GPA is low (3.1 overall, 3.0 science), so at this point I am just hoping to get in somewhere (I would be fine with my state school, MUSC). But I am still applying to MANY average schools if I get a 36+ MCAT, since there is still a chance of getting in to these places, although small.

Members don't see this ad :)
str8flexed said:
Well, my GPA is low (3.1 overall, 3.0 science), so at this point I am just hoping to get in somewhere (I would be fine with my state school, MUSC). But I am still applying to MANY average schools if I get a 36+ MCAT, since there is still a chance of getting in to these places, although small.
Work the odds. Apply to many schools and make sure you know their average GPA/MCAT scores.

Would you consider doing a post bac beforehand even though your GPA is good? Props for the potential 36+ MCAT. You may need to explain your GPA in comparison to your MCAT score.

Most schools wont even process your application until your mcat score comes in. They may look at all the August mcat takers application in the order that they were recieved though. Your strategy sounds pretty good, but it ensures that all of your applications to the more competetive schools will be sorta late.

I want to apply ASAP, but I have no idea what my MCAT scores will be. I'm sure they will be above a 26, but I'm worried that my verbal may be too low to accept. Any advice? Should I wait 'til my scores come in?

Well, I took the April MCATs. Even if I wait until RIGHT after I receive scores (end of June) I really won't be that late right?

Applying late refers to getting your AMCAS application in October. June, July, and August are all considered early. It will make no difference since classes do not fill that fast.

monwilli said:
I want to apply ASAP, but I have no idea what my MCAT scores will be. I'm sure they will be above a 26, but I'm worried that my verbal may be too low to accept. Any advice? Should I wait 'til my scores come in?
You could apply to some schools ASAP. If you don't like your scores, you can withdraw from the application process. Also, you can gear up for the August MCATs too. Waiting until June 20th isn't too late, but you may not get into the first reviewed pool of applicants. My advice would be to apply to schools that you'd like to go to regardless of your MCAT scores. That way you'll be getting them in early. Once you get your scores, decide for the rest of them or shift your schools. Best of luck.

med21 said:
Applying late refers to getting your AMCAS application in October. June, July, and August are all considered early. It will make no difference since classes do not fill that fast.
From what I've heard from countless advisors is that if your scores are sound, you should get them out in June or early July. I know someone who applied in August and didn't get interviews until February of the next year compared to someone who got their AMCAS verified in July and had interviews that November. I know its a crapshoot, but they had very smiliar stats. Just a thought...Best of luck.

I've heard that as long as you are "In the J's" June, July for your application, its early.

I'm also trying to relax, and wait patiently (yea right) for my April MCAT score, too.

I still need to load all of my grades into AMCAS. Not looking forward to that one. ;)

jackieMD2007 said:
I've heard that as long as you are "In the J's" June, July for your application, its early.

I'm also trying to relax, and wait patiently (yea right) for my April MCAT score, too.

I still need to load all of my grades into AMCAS. Not looking forward to that one. ;)
Yes, the Js are good :). Yeah, I need to relax too, its just not happening! Imputting grades on the AMCAS is tedious! Took me forever!

I've heard that it doesn't really matter if you wait until your April scores come out because they (med schools) don't get their first batch of apps until July 1st.

SeminoleFan3 said:
I've heard that it doesn't really matter if you wait until your April scores come out because they (med schools) don't get their first batch of apps until July 1st.
That's mainly due to the fact that the medical school has to contend with the previous year's wait list. If you're confident, doesn't hurt to do things earlier.

SeminoleFan3 said:
Correct.

What if you scores happen to be low on the april mcat. Should you still send the application in june or july, but just mark "taking august 2006 mcat." Does this delay the application process or do schools outright reject you?

tomorrowgirl99 said:
What if you scores happen to be low on the april mcat. Should you still send the application in june or july, but just mark "taking august 2006 mcat." Does this delay the application process or do schools outright reject you?
Yeah, you may send it in June or July and select mark the "taking August 2006 MCAT" box. In that case, you will receive secondary applications, but they will not review the application until they receive your August 2006 MCAT scores sometime in October. It will be late in the process, but not impossible. Just be certain you kick butt on the August MCAT. Best of luck.

str8flexed said:

Hi str8flexed! Dont worry about your MCATs. If you worked hard for the april exam you should submit your AMCAS sooner than later. also when you are applying... when you consider the safety schools, would you really want to go there or are you just applying there just to have an acceptance which you will eventually decline?

I took the August MCAT in 2005. I got into my dream school, and it all works out in the end. Just submit your AMCAS when it is polished and ready to go. Try to get it out of the way in mid July (latest). That way if your scores from April are good, you will be early, and if you are taking the august exam (I hope you dont have to) then you can start filling out those secondaries when you are slacking off from your MCAT studies! :laugh:. It will all work out in the end. :luck:

You guys don't need to stress about this. Work on your AMCAS, get it all ready to go, and then send it when you have your scores. Last year, mine showed up on June 16th. Trust me, those two weeks will not matter in the applying early game. Have all your letters of Rec ready, and turn over the secondaries as fast as you can (while still doing a good job of course). Whether your primary is processed on June 3rd or June 18th will not matter in the long run. What really trips you up is getting those secondaried complete. Just do it when you get the score, and until then, stay calm!

NYMC class of 2010 or USC (if the waitlist gods are shining on me) :luck:

I need advice. I am deciding between taking the MCAT on the June 13th date or the July 8th date. I know its typical to take it in April, but I have to take it between those two dates because I've just suffered the devastating loss of a very close family member. I am currently registered for the April 19th test date, but I am changing it as soon as the new dates open. I just need advice on the best date to take it and information on how that will affect the med school application process and my chances for getting in med school. I am still planning to submit my AMCAS application on June 1st. But do schools need mcats to send me the secondaries? and how will the July mcat test date affect the application process? I have a very solid gpa, and extensive research, volunteer, and shadowing experience as well as many extracurriculars. If I take the June or July MCAT how will that impact the application process? Also, which one is best to take? Based on the recent death, as well as some other factors, I will not be able to start studying hardcore until the beginning of May. I was enrolled in a Kaplan class, but I got it moved to a May date. I still have access to the online material right now however. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks! :)