When do you send PhORCAS emails to letters of reference writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmakoconut

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying for residencies, and I have already gathered people who are willing to be my references. However, I see that when putting your references in PhORCAS to generate the reference emails, there's a box that says you should provide your references with specifics about the programs you're applying for. I won't know where I'm applying until after Midyear, so does that mean I should enter my references in PhORCAS after Midyear?
 
I would suggest letting your intended letter writers know as soon as possible and give them some information about what kinds of programs you are interested in. Afterwards, you can work with them (ask for feedback) on when to send the reference e-mail. Most of the time those questions that PhorCAS sends are pretty open and answers can apply to multiple programs. Where you can play your cards a bit better is having different letter writers depending on what program you are applying to.