This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligamentumarteriosum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked in some variation, although I'm looking for specifics.
I'm for all intents and purposes a junior and came to my college specifically to do a biomedical science program as all of the classes are pretty literally the list of pre-reqs for med school, which I need all of.

I am aware that the new MCAT includes a section on pretty much just biochem.

I would like to try and graduate in Spring 17 and attend with the next beginning class in late summer/fall of school. I know lots of people wish they had taken a gap year, but I (sort of) did between my AA and here in my BS. I did a lot of tech classes that lo and behold have nothing to do with anything here!

Anyways my concern is that many seem to start studying towards the end of their junior year and then take the MCAT the winter of the year they want to attend.

In winter I'll be in: Org chem 2, genetics, 2nd quarter biophysics, and histology.
My college does't offer biochem in spring quarter so my spring quarter consists of into neuroscience, microbiology, 3rd quarter biophysics, and org chem 3.

Other than having taken a biochem class, which is a "nice to have", my concern with the traditional MCAT timeline is that I'm concerned that there will be physics or biochem questions that I'll get and not know by March. I will have taken a cell biology class by then. All the other pre-reqs will be done by this point.

Given that information, would you say to take it in winter, spring (pushing it) or something else? I feel like my best score would come after my course of study is complete, but that taking it in Winter as a first attempt wouldn't be horrible, especially since I'm going to begin the study journey this summer and I'm a rare brand of folk that LOVE taking CBT exams over paper tests. I am minority concerned because I know that attempts within the space of a few months, without marked improvement, are seen as risky or desperate by adcoms.

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.