When is it too late to send in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwest-is-best

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I've been sitting on a handful of secondaries for a while now because I recently started an SMP that has taken all of my time, not allowing me to work on them. I was planning on sending them all out over Thanksgiving break, but I don't know if that's considered too late for the DO cycle.

If it is, I would want to save money for reapplying next year then.

LizzyM score: 63

Any advice? :)
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

So I've been sitting on a handful of secondaries for a while now because I recently started an SMP that has taken all of my time, not allowing me to work on them. I was planning on sending them all out over Thanksgiving break, but I don't know if that's considered too late for the DO cycle.

Thank you!

Are you verified? If not, I'd honestly wait until next cycle. If you are, it's up to you. What is your post bacc GPA? What about your MCAT score?

A number of other sources on SDN are of the impression that Thanksgiving is when it starts to be late in the DO cycle. It sounds like you are verified, so I would send them, especially if you have any SMP grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd saw you are pushing it if you haven't finished the primary. I plan on sending out 4-5 more secondaries by next week though. Doesn't hurt your chances IMO. What are your stats? I think >64 LizzyM or at least GPAs above 3.3 and MCAT above 504 would be fine to send a secondary. I know some friends who sent in secondaries well into December with LizzyM scores around 62 and still managed to get accepted.

I am verified and have been for a while. I probably wouldn't be able to send any next week because I have 3 exams (yay!), so that's why I was waiting for Thanksgiving Break. At this point I just have exam grades, but at this rate I should have a 3.9ish post-bacc GPA. However, my uGPA was a 3.3 and MCAT score are definitely on the lower end (i made a typo and meant to write 61-63 for my LizzyM score).

Is the MCAT above 504? If yes, then apply. If not, wait till next year. I think the grade trend will help a lot if you have an MCAT above 504.

Is the MCAT above 504? If yes, then apply. If not, wait till next year. I think the grade trend will help a lot if you have an MCAT above 504.

I took the old MCAT, but I get the gist of what you're saying, and have a good idea of what to do now! Thank you so much for your help :)

December

Hello!

Thank you!