1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

When MD's take Osteopathic courses how does that work?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by H0mersimps0n, Apr 14, 2004.

1. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

For instance: http://cme.med.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/hmscme.cgi?SECTION=CLASSES&ID=00241286&SO=N

My girlfriend (entering U of Maryland Med in the Fall) and I (current LECOM MSI) are having a disagreement about how the legalities of an MD taking a course and practicing manipulation works. She says there MUST be some kind of certification that accompanies the course and I say NO, it's in their training and part of their scope of practice.

Legally and officially how does this work. If there is no legal/technical certification for this than these MD's just go around saying they've had traning in Osteopathic manip? What's to keep anyone from just saying that have this training when they don't and charge more?

Thanks

P.S. what the hell are karma points?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Eyecon82

Eyecon82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yea no kidding......

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DOs can practice and code (bill) for OMT simply because they are DOs.

MDs must have additional training in order to provide this service and be paid for it (at least by Medicare and insurance companies).

www.academyofosteopathy.org has more information about this

There are many MDs who use manual medicine. Quite often you will see European trained MDs very skilled in manual medicine as it is a regular part of their curriculum, particularly in countries like Germany.

JP

PS: Karma points are "good post" points, if you will. If you feel that a member has posted a good post you can reward him/her by adding to their "karma" and give them karma points. You can also give negative karma points if you feel their post was...let's say not so good. You do this by clicking on the little icon in the bottom left hand corner of the members post. It looks like a little scale...or at least I think that's what it is...at first I thought it was cauliflower.