When To Apply To Med School If Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkcity8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
--Hey guys! New to the forum :) --
I am a rising undergrad senior and am planning for a gap year to undertake more research, volunteering, shadowing, ... My question is, how will the medical schools I apply to come next summer know that I have gathered all of this relevant experience during my gap year if I apply before really starting it?
In other words, if I graduate ~May 2017, apply that same summer, what opportunity do I have to "show off" what I've done [or will do] during that gap year?

THANK YOU! :)

Members don't see this ad.

And therein lies the Catch 22...

Looks like maybe two gap years then?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a rising undergrad senior and am planning for a gap year to undertake more research, volunteering, shadowing, ... My question is, how will the medical schools I apply to come next summer know that I have gathered all of this relevant experience during my gap year if I apply before really starting it?
In other words, if I graduate ~May 2017, apply that same summer, what opportunity do I have to "show off" what I've done [or will do] during that gap year?

If you will be continuing an activity that you started prior to May 2017, you can list projected hours on your AMCAS application. This allows you to show how many hours you plan to accrue prior to matriculation.

The second option is that a lot of schools will ask this question on secondaries: "If you have taken a gap in your education, please take space below to explain what you did during your time out of school." There you explain all your gap year plans.

Alternatively, you can submit update letters to schools (not all schools accept them, but many do) after you submit both primary and secondary applications that lists any new activities you have started since submitting your application to the school.

Reactions: 1 users

Hey and welcome to the forum!

Why did you take a gap year? Getting a pub may be a game changer but adding MORE volunteering and shadowing won't do a whole lot in my opinion. I'd say stick to research and maybe like shadow once or twice if you've already got the experience.

Also, since you didn't it I'm assuming the all-important MCAT is out of the way? If so, then you should prioritize your time now in senior year spending some time finding research experience or other important experiences. The one downside is medical schools will see your senior grades, but I personally took all the harder stuff junior year and got to finish off on a really light courseload. If you can afford to do this, definitely look for experience during this year.

In regards to your actual question, I concur with the above poster.