When to get LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to someone earlier and they said that med schools didn't look positively on a 3 y/o recommendation. I was under the assumption that I should ask for a recommendation as soon as I finish a class (regardless of when I'd be applying) so the professor still remembers me especially if I engaged in class etc. I'm going to be sending the LORs through my university's packet if that makes a difference (they hold them till you apply regardless of whenever you get the LOR)

So is this a general rule? Is it a pretty common thing to keep in touch with your professors till the year your applying for fresh LORs?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, it's not a dealbreaker but more recent letters suggest (a) higher level coursework which is more impressive or (b) extended contact, quite often through multiple classes or research with the professor which suggests they know more about you/can give a more accurate recommendation.

You should ask for LOR from someone who will remember you/knows you well enough to write a good letter. It could be a professor you take multiple classes with, work in their lab, involved in a program or group they are a part of, etc. and ideally, even if they were from freshmen year, they'll still remember you.
Most commonly people ask for LOR in the year they are applying.

As for when to ask specifically. I'd say if you know and communicate with them often enough, then they should know your intentions to go to med school. They'll usually know to expect a request from you for a LOR. Then actually ask for it about 2-3 months before July of the application year (you don't need to have them in by the time AMCAS opens). Asking years ahead is an option, but literally no one I know has done this.

And please, don't be shy. Ask something along the lines of "I would love a great letter of recommendation from you" or "can I count on a good letter of rec from you?"

Because I know people who cold called or emailed their professors to ask for letters, and the professor later straight up confided in me saying that he wasn't going to write a good letter at all. Asking them ahead of time will sort this out.

So when you do ask, choose someone who knows you well. Keep in touch with them if you know you won't be seeing them. Then ask close to the deadline date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked one professor about a year and a half ahead of my application year, but that was only because she was about to retire, and I didn't want to call her out of retirement to write a LOR.

I understand the depth of professor's relationship is preferred, especially when you have some out-of-class interaction with him/her (e.g. research, program that this faculty sponsors).
However, is it okay to have a LOR from a professor whom you took ONE class with, did well in it, and the professor knows about your effort within the class? I attended all office hours which only a few students showed up so we would talk about our outside work each time?
Most of my LORs are from professors in one of the class I took, did well, and had some in-depth convo about my pre-med passion during office hours.

I understand the depth of professor's relationship is preferred, especially when you have some out-of-class interaction with him/her (e.g. research, program that this faculty sponsors).
However, is it okay to have a LOR from a professor whom you took ONE class with, did well in it, and the professor knows about your effort within the class? I attended all office hours which only a few students showed up so we would talk about our outside work each time?
Most of my LORs are from professors in one of the class I took, did well, and had some in-depth convo about my pre-med passion during office hours.

Personally, I'm risk averse, so I only asked professors with whom I had multiple exposures.

If you know they can write well about you, and you confirm that with them (in a tactful way), then that should work fine!

Personally, I'm risk averse, so I only asked professors with whom I had multiple exposures.

If you know they can write well about you, and you confirm that with them (in a tactful way), then that should work fine!
I wish I can have multiple exposures with my professors outside of class. Not trying to find excuses, but that's more difficult to do so in larger college campuses. I am sure someone who has a set of those LOR you suggested would make it a strong profile!

If you are having these submitted and held by the premed committee for future packet anf committee letter, it is really as big a issue compared to getting them as individual letters. Indeed if you get at least 1 each year from a professor, the committee can comment on consistent excellent work as letters from each year attest to. Alternatively, you can ask for them to update the letter the year you apply.

Why is it a big issue to have the pre med committee hold them in comparison to getting them individually?

So is it weird to ask a professor who is leaving your university for another job if they would write a letter now (I'm about two years away from applying)?