When to Start Looking for Gap Year Jobs? (Clinical)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JackInTheBeanStalk

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey friends!

So I am graduating in May of 2018 and will be applying to medical school during 2018-19 gap year. When should I start looking for a job for that same year? I don't want to do research and would prefer to work in a place where I can get clinical exposure. So when should I apply and also what type of job should I be looking for?

Thank you!
 
Your best bet would be as a medical assistant that does their training in house and doesn't require certifications or something like patient transport/patient care assistant in a hospital. You could get a phlebotomist certification or an EMT certification. With the EMT certification you can be out on the field or work in the hospital as an ER tech (or both if you're a workaholic).

Personally I'd find another better paying job in research. You'll make more money and then you can find a clinical volunteering position (much easier to get than a job). You'll have the benefits of strengthening both research/clinical experience in your gap year.

EDIT: Start looking for a job at least 3-4 months out. Give them your true start date. A mistake would be starting to look as you start your gap year so you have no income coming in until you find a job.
 
Your best bet would be as a medical assistant that does their training in house and doesn't require certifications or something like patient transport/patient care assistant in a hospital. You could get a phlebotomist certification or an EMT certification. With the EMT certification you can be out on the field or work in the hospital as an ER tech (or both if you're a workaholic).

Personally I'd find another better paying job in research. You'll make more money and then you can find a clinical volunteering position (much easier to get than a job). You'll have the benefits of strengthening both research/clinical experience in your gap year.

EDIT: Start looking for a job at least 3-4 months out. Give them your true start date. A mistake would be starting to look as you start your gap year so you have no income coming in until you find a job.

Good call on the research and clinical double tap. Thanks! In regards to medical assistant how does one find a job for that? I have had trouble finding information online.
 
Good call on the research and clinical double tap. Thanks! In regards to medical assistant how does one find a job for that? I have had trouble finding information online.

Try sites like Craigslist or Indeed and make mass calls. Usually an MA position that doesn't require certs will say: "Will train the correct person." These jobs form my experience are just looking for someone with a great personality, coach-able, and has time to commit. Send your resume to whoever you can and hope for the best.